Agnostic.com

25 9

Writing on behalf on another person

Have you received messages on behalf of another person? I consider it creepy and strange to promote another person on a dating website.

1. Recently a man tried to sell me on his boss in Reno, Nevada. I replied that his boss needs to write his own profile and post recent photos. We live too far apart to develop a relationship.

“Stop pimping out your boss,” I replied. “I am not interested.” After receiving six pushy messages about how love supersedes all, I blocked him.

1. A woman wrote to me out of the blue on behalf of her male friend.

2. Another man tried to interest me in his good friend in Victoria, British Columbia.

I realize these people are trying to help their friends. But it gives the impression that their friends are too shy, hesitant and socially inept to write a first message by themselves.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This has happened to me on Match. It's a scam.

NO, these are scams. I'm on a dating website where I have received similar responses from men saying they are replying 'for a friend' who's seen my profile, blah, blah, blah, and if you would give him a chance, things might happen kind of thing. Steer clear of these.

And to reiterate, most of these responses have similar terminology, which made me suspicious.

I have a friend who lives in his mom's basement, but he's a really nice guy... LOL

I have never had this experience. My advice? Avoid.

My thoughts are... if the individual in question can't write it themselves - then you should run away from it/them/he/she - without any response.

Period.

If a Man cannot compose a suitable bio,what does that say about him being a good partner in a relationship?

Yes,very creepy,wonder what the real motive is??

Agreed. Sounds creepy. Unless they're a professional matchmaker, there's something very wrong with this.

You're smart to listen to the impulse to bail out of a suspicious situation. These situations are sometimes harmless, but always at least a nuisance.

That is wierd. I think you did right in not trusting any of them.

Yes,imagine a decision needs to be made,and he's all over the place "Should I,or shouldn't I"? The old saying "Fish,or cut bait",comes to mind.

That seems a bit odd.... I liked your response to the guy that was trying to set you up with his boss.

@19dacar52

Thank you.

Online this really does sound creepy. IRL I have had the same (last one a few months ago) but have not (and most likely will never) call the number.

This happened to me a couple of times ... in the 8th grade! But it was me who sent the note to a boy that my best friend had a crush on. 😉

Now it would just be creepy.

If a person does not have the intestinal fortitude to write on their own behalf then having someone else do this is a direct way of telling you this. If someone else writes to tell you of one of their friends then they have the process wromg. They should be telling their friend to wrtie you directly.

Maybe they do not know how to approach you on their own

That's just weird. I agree with you. My first thought would be, "Is this an attempt to scam?" I'd definitely be suspicious of anybody who would try to connect via a third party, and the third party would be suspect for agreeing to become involved in such a situation.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 29, 2018

The first thing I think about is the movie Roxanne

I agree with you. Their friend could tell them about me and if interested, they should reach out. But to tell me and have me do so? No.

OH by the way, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend that I showed your post to. He says it's because you are so attractive and outdoorsy is the reason you get all those match ups requests, do you want his pic or number?

@CorreurDeBois

Love your sense of humor. That's hilarious!

Thanks for your compliment.

If someone has been trying to pitch me to someone else, it has obviously failed. 🙂

Awww

First time hearing this one, RUN

don't know about the guy in Victoria but I spent 3+ yrs in Europe; & lived 20yrs in Victoria. And can honestly say that Victoria is one of the neatest cities of that size in the world.
Might be worth meeting the guy in Victoria just to check it out.

IT MIGHT BE better to take a trip there by yourself lol

I'm only 90 miles away from Victoria & we visit there frequently.

Roxane is Cyrano de Bergerac trying to woo you on behalf of his friend? ​​

i have not experienced this in the miles standish tradition, no. if i am written to by a go-between it is usually to beg me to unblock someone. i usually end up blocking the go-between.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.