Agnostic.com

76 7

As atheist and agnostics what in your opinion is the odds of there being a afterlife ?

I’m pure atheist however I do think there may be some form of a afterlife . Deffidently not the Christianality version of it or god but perhaps some form of an after life . I don’t think it’s going to be what anybody thinks it is nor do I think any of the religions of today are right about it . But maybe it’s a spiritual world of some sort ? This imo is just wishful thinking on my part but ya never know . Also what do you think are the odds of rebirth ? Reancarntion ? I don’t think here needs to be a god for this to be a possibility. Your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely zero

Pc716 Level 2 Jan 8, 2019

I don't know.

SCal Level 7 Jan 8, 2019

Apologies her name is Jenny Cockell

As much as I am non-religious, don't believe in a god or gods and so on I do wonder about reincarnation.
I didn't believe (found it difficult to comprehend) in it when raised as a Hindu but for the last 10 year's I've tapped into these "findings" on YouTube and must these stories are very convincing. How do we dismiss as lies? The last one I listened to was a think Jenny Cowell. I could be wrong about her first name. She remembered her life in Ireland, went there, found her children and reunited them. (They were All estranged as they were separated from each other) All 7 children put in orphanages after her death, except one who stayed with his abusive father. She was in her 30's and her kids more than double her age, oldest one was 72.
... also about the little boy in Scotland, who said he was living on an island called Barra, and the pilot who fought in the war whose plane was taken down and remembered where the plane was taken down.
I'm interested to know what you think about this?

Nothing deep...Dead things are gone.

It's an always tough, because it's probably like a guilty pleasure think that's a possibility, but been honest I don't think it can be possible

I think there may be some left over energy from some people, and none from others. But I don't think it's a "life"..... just residual energy.... because it can't be destroyed.... and some of my s have more than others.

I would say slim to none.

None and nil for afterlife and reincarnation, I believe.

I don't think we can leave our brains behind and still exist. Which would make both afterlife and reincarnation impossible.

I try not to think about that and just focus on enjoying and living the life I have.

The same bush flowers many times over its duration. Don’t know about anything else but that is empirical and predictable. Using a little imagination the idea of cyclic existence can be extended to other forms of life; the life of a being the equivalent to a fruit on a tree. Simple and beautiful and humbling.

Hindus are 100% believers in cow gawd reincarnation. ...you obviously have no clue what Atheism and Atheists are.....or is this some sort of parallel universe where the dead take over their clones "over there ?"

I think it's what people know about you, and what you created. For example, Adolf Hitler is in “hell” because people hate him. Einstein, Isaac Newton, Galileo and others still exist because we use their knowledge.

None as i nor has anyone else been able to prove it exists. It is something we would like to happen but sayiong so does not mean that it does happen.Wishful thinking as no one likes the thought of dieing.

!00%

The accumulated evidence compiled by Dr Jim B. Tucker of the University of Virginia suggests that at least some people get reincarnated.

I don't know what happens after death.....and nor does anybody else.

As for odds on an afterlife that's a tough one. Is it billions to one or 50/50 but either way if you had a flutter on there being one (an afterlife) and you won, how do you pick up your winnings?

"flutter" - Wager?

@Knee-jerk Yes, sorry. UK slang 🙂

Why should there be an afterlife and not a before life?

I could put some stock in re-incarnation. That maybe it though. Sometimes people have deja-vu with others for no reason. Souls being re-cycled is believeable.

Zero.....if you have seen as many dead people that I have seen you would feel the same way!

As far as we can know, there is no mechanism that will preserve your notion of self after some of the brain functions stop (some recreational drugs users can understand that the brain can work a lot without the self notion). So, from a gnostic POV the answer is NO, there is no evidence of an afterlife. But in the matters of belief or non verifiable supernatural you can say whathever you want, from some big religion world of the dead or that we will all live inside the dog's collar of your neighbor. And all those possibilities are in equal status as far as we know.

I’d say chances are pretty good there is some sort of afterlife, where some form of a transformed human consciousness goes to. NDE’s are a pretty strong indication of this, and even if they didn’t exist, I’d say nature is rarely wasteful and rate chances as high that it somehow recycles the components of the human psyche.

The other side of the equation is that dualism, the existence of a spiritual dimension that would be needed for such recycling, has not been proven. If i were to take a strict evidence based approach to thinking about this, I’d have to admit that dissolution of an emergent phenomenon is also a distinct possibility when talking about consciousness and the mind.

No categorical answer is possible, there is always some fallback on belief when talking about it.

>>I’m pure atheist however I do think there may be some form of a afterlife.<<

You're not a "pure atheist." You still have a great deal of religion/mysticism in your head.

The odds of there being an "afterlife" are zero. There are no such things as souls because there is no way to imprint human intelligence and personality onto a volume of air, any more than you could imprint it on a pile of leaves, or a section of concrete wall.

One of the widespread failings among atheists is that we timidly back away from certainty. But when you're considering the possibilities of the mystical, there are two sorts of arguments -- I refer to them as arguments in the Domain of Diamonds and arguments in the Domain of Fluff.

ONLY an argument advanced in the Domain of Diamonds -- the rock-solid domain of science and reason -- requires an answer in the Domain of Diamonds. Arguments advanced in the Domain of Fluff, the domain of imagination and artsy-metaphorical fantasy, can be answered in the Domain of Fluff.

The two domains even have their own linguistic set, and modes of thought. If someone says "Life is a river," he's speaking metaphorically -- using Domain of Fluff language -- because life is obviously not a river. Knowing that, I can switch into artsy-metaphorical mental mode and begin trying to imagine how life is LIKE a river, in the speaker's view.

ALL religious arguments are Domain of Fluff arguments. "God is the foundation of our lives!" is no more a literal argument than Pooh is a real bear. It's pure fluff.

The thing is, NOTHING can be proven in the Domain of Fluff, it can only be endlessly argued, as a succession of battling artsy-metaphorical viewpoints.

But in the Domain of Diamonds, things CAN be proven. Things can be shown to exist, assertions can be shown to be true, or false. None of the Domain of Diamonds is a matter of viewpoint. If someone says "Kryptonite is an element on the Periodic Table," I can PROVE he's wrong. I can also suggest where he went wrong, confusing fictional kryptonite with real krypton gas.

The mistake we atheists make when godders make assertions as to the existence of supernatural superbeings is to back away from Domain of Diamonds certainty on our side AS IF THEY HAVE MADE A DOMAIN OF DIAMONDS ARGUMENT on their side. We demand of ourselves that element of scientific doubt, saying "You can't prove a negative. You have to allow the possibility that their god exists."

But you don't. If they make a sloppy, fluffy claim on their side -- "God exists!" -- we have every right to make a sloppy, fluffy claim back: "No he doesn't."

When they make a factual claim, one subject to rock-hard real-world Domain of Diamonds verification -- "Evolution is a religion and doesn't work!" -- we can reply in the same mental mode with the certainty backed by masses of evidence from a dozen different fields of real science: "Evolution is not a religion, and yes it does work. It's so simple even children can understand it, so profound it links all of biology into an amazing whole."

We don't have to hold back, saying "Well, MAYBE they're right."

In the Domain of Fluff, you can be an unabashed Level 7 atheist, stoutly asserting that gods do not exist. In the Domain of Diamonds, you can demand THEY prove the contrary, and refuse to allow their silly fantasies into your mind until they do.

Both ways, you can be 100 percent certain gods do not exist, and defensibly so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:261522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.