Agnostic.com

41 7

What is your biggest fear?

My biggest fear since I stopped believing in hell is that when I die I'm gonna be fully aware of the darkness and isolation instead of it being like going to sleep.

LeftyWright 5 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This question is right out of 1984 It might be better to skip it and go on to the next question. Winston's greatest fear was rats. Look what anwering the question got him. The last line of the book is, "He loved Big Brother."

The end of my consciousness.

I have a slightly irrational fear of fire. I'm a big furball and I always imagine going up like a match when I'm around fire I don't have control of.

Being trapped in a confined space with no means of getting out . When I was a kid we used to go into the storm drains the large ones were easy but the small ones you had to crawl on your belly It's hard for me to even think about it .

It used to be the boogeyman in the closet, till the monster under my bed came and chased him away. Seriously though, it's dying a long slow painful death, like from cancer or a stroke. I watched my grandmother, grandfather, great grandmother and mother go that way. Fortunately I've had a heart attack and will probably go quickly.

Not being able to end my life at a time of my choosing; losing the capacity to do that. I'd rather jump with pride than be pushed in humiliation. I do not think it is either negative, nihilistic, or depressing to think like this.

My biggest fer lately is that Trump and Pence will destroy the country economically and destroy those part of the government which were formerly working pretty well, before we can get them out of office.

Ooops, Too late. (Hopefully not)

@David1955 At this point it will probably take 4-5 years (optimistically) for every one year they are in office for us to recover. Ir might take longer. Depends on how much obstruction the republicans put up.

@snytiger6 If I know one thing from decades of studying US history and politics, it is that your country has an extraordinary capacity for renewal and recovery. I watched the assassinations, dissent against the War in Vietnam, race riots and all that in the 1960s as a kid and teenager. I do think that unless the Republican Party there is detoxified in some way, somehow made less gangrenous and poisonous, then your problems will go. I'm not optimistic about that.

@David1955 If you look at how countries have goen from great wealth and into decline throughout history, you woudl have to conclude that the U.S. is on the decline. You might have to look at ancient Rome, the Dutch, The English and Spain and how empires grew and declined and the evolution of the economies to discern a pattern, but generally right before a country goes into decdline they outsource theri manufacturing and move to more of a service oriented economy, and end up with a shrinking middle class, which is/was actually the consumer base which drives the eonomy. After a whiel of this a tipping oint is reached and the economy crashes. There is also another pattern in many ancient civilizations where they create a large city and use uip all the natural resources in the surrounding area, which leads to an economic collapse. The U.S. is currently using a colonial approach to having used up natural resources, and taking them from other countries, much like England did (although with different resources) before WWII. Colonialism is expensive and unsustainable over time. A very few peopel will get very rich,but in the end the house of cards will fall.

@snytiger6 I fear you may be right. And how the world order changes if a diminished US continues is very much a concern. I also fear a crumbling of the US from within through social division and economic inequality. The biggest military in the world won't offset that. It's a pity that some Americans who see themselves as patriots fail to see that moral leadership in the world is actually more important than the size of the military. And US moral leadership has declined hugely; it seriously started with Bush Jr and that election, was only partially arrested under the disappointing Obama years, and now is in free fall under Trump. It gives me no pleasure to say these things about the US.

It is that orange man survives for 8 years and totally destroys the .USA Next would be not being able to care for myself and having to depend on others. I would rather that I not be alive than the latter.

My biggest fear is that when I die, I'm just conforming here as I really believe I'm immortal, I will never have seen the Vikings win a Superbowl.

It use to be being the very real likelyhood of being shot by north Vietnamese now it's the only slightly less likely chance of sitting in a class room or concert or gathering of any kind and some asshole "law abiding" gun owner walking down the hall/street with an ar-15.
Because of the former I avoid the later.

Disability/incapacitation

Something bad happening to my nephews and nieces. They are like my own children.

Spiders, heights, and living life without anyone I can truly rely on or trust. Oh and the dying alone thing, but others have said that.

Being helpless and totally dependent on others.

Losing control of my body with a fully functioning mind and being unable to end it.

I fear that something or someone will s!ow my growth and development as a human being, as I have allowed that to happen before. Have to remember to care about their burdens, but not to carry them as my own.

My only fear is being alone at the end of my long life. Because I know if I'm alone, mankind has failed me.

My biggest fear has been manifesting it's self for years already. It's that people will become so "open minded" that their brains fall out.

My greatest fear is pain and being run over by a motorist from.my back.

Losing one of my children. Anything else is Bullshit to me and I can handle Bullshit.

can't argue with that,

Alzheimer's or dementia.

My biggest fear is no longer being able to participate in a meaningful way. When that is no longer possible, I will take a walk on the ice.

Biggest fear is not being able to make it to the bathroom.

Lately, my fear is that it's just a matter of time before a shooter comes to my school and shoots my students and me.

I fear people.

Nyssi Level 3 Feb 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.