Agnostic.com

9 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By destroying most of the insects we are also destroying certain mammals as well. What started out mostly as "control" has now been altered into ideas of "design" as if we are trying to create our world in a perfect way. The end result is that we do not know what the hell we are doing. We are destroying our system and we cannot live without it.

Exactly.

E.O Wilson puts human life into perspective. If every human were to die at the same moment the Earth would revert back to its rich, beautiful healthy state and diversity would be restored. If every insect were to die at the same moment the entire ecosystem would collapse into chaos

I love that , not that I want every human to die but it's the truth .

The difficulty in assessing global warming/biological collapse is that we are dealing with hundreds of systems each having hundreds of interlinked parameters. Birds need insects need forests which need Both insects and birds. The second feature is that we are unlikely to recognize the point of inflection/point of no return. The measure of the inflection point cannot be made until after it has already happened. Hang on kids, this ride might get bumpy.

The Delaware Estuary, working on the Schukyll River, some time over ten years ago, was amazed at underwater photographs of a beaver. The reason? The area was devoid of any wildlife for years. Funding came through for a museum under the Waterworks, behind our art museum. After classes with children discussing the food chain, they dumped mussels into the water with the intention to clean some of the murkiness. But that action caused a snowball effect. The mussels not only filtered the water, but was the foundation of food for other animals. Now there is an annual day of education and celebration for the importance of the waterways around Philadelphia. It's not a huge thing, but it's pretty nifty.

I understand the comfort we as humans want in our spaces, thus pesticides and what not. but the impact of removing the foundation of the food chain is incredible. Many are myopic and don't understand global ramifications until it hits home.

Definitely true, and I'm glad to hear that about the Delaware Estuary.

@tnorman1236 little baby step. 🙂

@Lillyfield41 Every little step counts.

It’s a sad state of affairs... we could have been the shepherds and caretakers of the Earth, if we had had the sense to see things as a species a little earlier. But there are too many people in power who don’t seem to care even about other humans, let alone animals and the environment.

I’ve noticed there seem to be very few little bugs, flies, bees, wasps and other insects around in the forests around here.

We should assume the responsibility of active global protectors, not only global active consumers. Terra neeeded someone to protect and write Its true history, but now It is suffocated by the bandits who misjudge our Terra Family. Not just! #weareallterrafamily #terraprotectivityispriority

tipi Level 7 Jan 20, 2019

Anyone residing in a rural area if observant will notice changes. There are very few June bugs in the spring. My leopard frogs are gone from my pond. I could go on but I am depressed enough. Keep using that Tru Green lawn spray crap.

Lightning Bugs, that is what recently hit me the most.

@Quarm Preserving their habitat here.

I am convinced that we will lose our right to exist. I just hope we won't take a lot of other undeserving species with us. This article saddens me greatly.

Zster Level 8 Jan 17, 2019

We already are. This is the Anthropocene era the time of the sixth great extinction. Our numbers keep climbing while other species keep falling.

@JackPedigo True. I hate what humanity is becoming. We might have had a shot.

@Zster Unfortunately, there has simply been too much evidence and massive scientific warnings to see a positive outcome. Whe I was in Zereo Population Growth we kept hearing after the next few years it will be too late. That was in the 90's and we keep putting the too late point higher and higher.
I don't know how you feel about overpopulation but here is a TED talk that addressed the idea of technology and the exponential growth curve. Go to 14 minutes. [ted.com]

@JackPedigo Thanks, I will definitely check that out. I had noticed that the global warning point if no return kept bumping out. Add insane consumerism to the overpopulation, disaster is the only foreseeable outcome.

@Zster Yes, it's not so much about the number of people but their activity. This is something we fail to see when talking about immigration. All, people need basic services and to get those in developed countries the environmental price is much higher than in developing countries and people's footprint goes way up.

I sometimes think its we who shouldn't have evolved.

I know what you mean. It's sad.

@tnorman1236 It is, & we never seem to learn.

I'm not sure we did. 😟

What makes you think we have?

@JackPedigo We haven't gone extinct.....yet.

@Lilac-Jade But wouldn't it be worthwhile to tray and prevent if from happening, at least for the future generations benefit?

@JackPedigo Tell that to the climate change deniers, & the ones with the $$$$$ who run everything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267890
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.