Agnostic.com

51 13

Who is the most eccentric person in your family?

I have a lot of eccentric family members. I posted about my crazy grandfather recently, but I have a maternal grandmother who is equally eccentric.

Yet, she's actually kind of cool. She whittles wood, makes her own (strange) clothes, worked a many different jobs like wood working, truck driving, dressing up bears, making wooden dollhouse furniture...

she's a hard core video gamer (at 79 years old), and walks out of the library with seventy pounds of books each time she goes. She used to invite the religious door knockers inside and offer them "Irish tea" which they would agree to. Until they realized she was dumping heavy liquor into the cups and so they'd excuse themselves. She liked to laugh as they left. 😮

Oh and she has a ghost named Tobius that she lights a candle for sometimes.

Do you have an eccentric family member?

I could arguably be the eccentric one, but in my family, I have too much competition going on.

silvereyes 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh probably me. One of my Great Grandmothers was a bit on the eccentric side though.

Your description of your grandmother's eccentric behavior made me laugh, especially, the part about religious door knockers.

Me. It's definitely me, probably on both sides. Your grandmother sounds fantastic, like she is unapologetically living life on her own terms, and that's exactly how I aspire to be.

I thought I was eccentric until I discovered all of you guys.

OK, in my family it really is me. I live my life by my rules, which I am well aware no-one else agrees with.
But we have a crazy one, the older of my 2 younger brothers, now about 56 and trees yell at him and chase him. OK, he does seriously hard drugs.

I'm not sure it really qualifies as eccentric if my uncle is just a jerk, but… he's a fundamentalist Catholic who attends the Latin Mass each Sunday, goes on and on about the "Zionist Jews," hates corporate America but somehow supports DJT, is against modern medicine despite the fact that it saved his life when he had bypass surgery, puts his faith in unregulated herbal remedies, uses racial slurs frequently, admits he knows nothing about science yet denigrates evidence-based claims, has taken up the meme of "fake news" whenever he disagrees with anything in the media, and he thinks iridology is a great way to diagnose health problems even though an iridologist's diagnosis almost killed his sister. So, he gets my vote.

Yeah, I think I'm the most eccentric, at least in my thinking, not so much my actions.

I think I'm it.

Me and maybe this is why this site is so popular, lots of us eccentrics.

I ran it past the cats, and they unanimously agreed that I'm the odd duck. They are probably right.

Without a doubt. The rest of my family is pretty normal, comparatively.

I certainly am. The rest of my siblings are sober, conventional workaholics. My oldest brother is a nuclear physicist, my next older brother is an electrical and fiber optics engineer, my youngest sister is a bank coding consultant who makes a ton of money, and my next younger sister is a registered nurse.

I ran off to teach ESL and go birding in Thailand. Furthermore, I eat health food, came out to them in 2014 as an androgyne partial transmale, said I don't believe the same way as they do, etc.

Sounds like we have that in common. It would be easiest to pick out the most normal one..... My father. The rest of us?.... There is no choosing number 1.

Me. I am the legend, nephews and grandnephews talk about. And Christians and Atheist alike... they all love me. I had never flip-flop or changed since a little child I always been the same guy.

Me - by a long shot.

Pretty sure I hold that dubious honor.

me.

Probably me. I am the only artist, so that sets my views and opinions off from the others a bit. I also stand alone in my seeing no need for traditions of ceremonial bs. I listen to the music none of them have heard of, eat differently, and hang out with people they would all judge and look down on. They most likely consider me eccentric, but I really see my close minded relations as abnormal

Not to brag but it's probably me. Although I guess that there's something eccentric about each of my family members. We're a bunch of weirdos lol!

I've a big family, most of whom are on the ASD spectrum (including me). Spoilt for choice.

Well, I'm tied with my sister on that one. She is as stubborn as a Missouri mule, hasn't changed her opinion about anything in 50 yrs. Me, I'm the dope smokin, godless hippie intellectual (I don't think I'm that smart btw). So I guess its a tie.

In my family, that would be myself and my sister Amber. lol

Sadoi Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

No one in my family is very normal, honestly, but I'd have to be a touch more than the rest. ?

That's a tough question. I would probably find him in the mirror. Other than the streak of religion that runs rampant, especially on my mother's side, everyone is pretty close to normal. I am the one who swears I am allergic to scissors (They make me break out--in a run, that is, because I fear haircuts), eats Vegemite, talks to trees and wild animals, and makes EVERYTHING into a pun while thwarting the will of God who clearly hasn't made an appearance since the Big Bang if there even is such a deity.

I am the anomaly in my family, and I wear it on my sleeve. The good thing is that mostly, I am loved for it.

If I can't think of anyone, it's me, right?

JimG Level 8 Mar 11, 2018

Me - Basically I don't care what I look like; rarely in my 70 years have I worn makeup and then only when someone has forced me into it, I love 'old' clothes, My hair grows quickly and its straight so I grow it for childrens cancer wigs. I have D.I.D and that can be disturbing (but mostly for me ) I find the preoccupations of my society strange and havent ever really fitted in though I do have friends. I was always a strange child and grew up to be a strange mother and granny .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.