Agnostic.com

51 13

Who is the most eccentric person in your family?

I have a lot of eccentric family members. I posted about my crazy grandfather recently, but I have a maternal grandmother who is equally eccentric.

Yet, she's actually kind of cool. She whittles wood, makes her own (strange) clothes, worked a many different jobs like wood working, truck driving, dressing up bears, making wooden dollhouse furniture...

she's a hard core video gamer (at 79 years old), and walks out of the library with seventy pounds of books each time she goes. She used to invite the religious door knockers inside and offer them "Irish tea" which they would agree to. Until they realized she was dumping heavy liquor into the cups and so they'd excuse themselves. She liked to laugh as they left. 😮

Oh and she has a ghost named Tobius that she lights a candle for sometimes.

Do you have an eccentric family member?

I could arguably be the eccentric one, but in my family, I have too much competition going on.

silvereyes 8 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both sides are so boring nearly anything would seem eccentric.

Me...i haven't given a rat's ass about what other people think in Quite some time!

Honestly? it's me, all my life my family has given that "really" look..as in "You didn't Really just" say/do/mention whatever..I love it...lol

Me without a doubt, according to my family.

Most probably me but that's because I'm the only responsible adult in my generation. Never been arrested, don't do drugs, have a full time job that keeps me off welfare and supporting my kids which I have custody of. My sister and cousins are usually endlessly "between jobs" because the last one drug tested or they had a nervous breakdown and ended up in the loony bin, can't keep their kids (usually because they can't handle the stress,) or are endlessly freeloading off mommy and daddy.
The older generation is like a copy-paste of Peter Griffons' father from Family Guy.

I am probably the most eccentric in my family's eyes...because I do what I want, when I want and don't live my life around what others expect.

Me

I come from a whole family of farmers, living in the middle of nowhere. Yet, we have this one guy who doesn't have a single farm bone in his body. He's always playing video games, can't stop talking about liberal politics, actually suggested we turn part of the farm into a wind power station (can you believe that?!), and doesn't want to drive tractors for the rest of his life.

Oh wait, that's me. I'm the eccentric one. 😀

& there i was thinking that my family surely must be the oddest possible, but here you go, @silvereyes, & steal the show 😉

my father just used to be the first of the teachers who refused to wear a suit & tie, instead coming to class in baggy cords, no tie. my mother stayed fit up into her 80s by cycling everywhere & swimming each & every morning. she bought most of her clothes in op shops, going dressed in a way that embarassed even me to be seen with her - & that's telling something! my sister is a hoarder who wouldn't let anyone (not even family) in her home. considering all that, i'm quite normal, whatever that means, but i had to put half a planet between me & the rest to become that 😉

It is so me.

Your grandmother is a clearly a winning eccentric. I bet her eyes sparkle with mischief. I suspect you may be guilty of the same but a might more reserved because of your youth.

I clearly am the eccentric one. I am the walker of the paths no one thinks of taking and the shaker of unshaken things, the rattler of the unrattled, and then some. If you want to be lead astray by someone you'd clearly trust, by all means, come visit me. 😛

SamL Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

I am that person that mother warned me about!

Cool family SE! My uncle was a chemist for BF Goodrich, retired quite early, was 20 years older than his brother (my father), and had a farm and at least 100 total wild crazy cats that loved him. He did crossword puzzles from lots of newspapers, then would mulch his garden with them in the spring. I would read them when I visited before the ink faded.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 22, 2018

I am!

One of my older sisters is definitely the most eccentric member of my family, and I love her for it. She graduated from Penn State in 1971, immed. moved to Philly and became a social worker, after a couple years, hated that, became a waitress, then barmaid, then bartender. Then moved on to carpenter, small projects, then on to full kitchen or bathroom remodels. Then bought a building in Philly, and created apartments. Then sold that, bought a warehouse, created a loft for herself, with 2 floors below her of vintage items she removed from old houses that were being torn down. Ran that business for years. At 68 years old, she sold the building and all her business. Filled a high top van with the only worldly items she kept, and moved to Mexico. She's my idol.

I have an odd feeling it's me and I really wouldn't want it any other way.

I am the only one left in my family so it must be me. When i was growing up with very mentally unwell parents I went to a free school and everyone but everyone called me "That strange child!"

I may be the most eccentric, but there is some stiff competition.

I'd love to meet your grandma. She sounds like my kind of lady. I read the posts here and it seems like you have to be the eccentric one in the family to be on this site. It feels like I've finally met my long lost real family. In my family, there are 2 eccentric ones. My brother is the asshole eccentric, and I have always been the nice guy eccentric. My brother took off to become a bum in CA, and no one has heard from him in a couple of years. He was always trying to find a harder drug to use and he didn't care who got hurt in the process. He could be dead for all we know. The last any of us heard of him, my cousin spotted him on youtube. He was holding a sign that read "Yell at a bum. $5.00. I just looked and can't find that video any more. I'm eccentric in that I can't stay in one place very long. When I see a hill, I have to see what's on the other side of it. I have hitch hiked in all but 4 of the connected states and now at the age of 56 I'm going hitch hiking to AZ for the rest of the winter, to go on a survival adventure. When it warms up, I'm going to visit the last 4 on my way back to Iowa.

Probably my mom. She says by time to time that spots some ghost doing weird things. What can I do?

Oh, me for sure.

I call it being real, fuck being fake

In my family I am the odd one

ME!!!! I am NOT in the KKK, I am an Independent (not Republican), I'm the only one that got a Master's, I have a trans-racial family, and I READ instead of watch the Kardashians (my first cousins call that show HISTORY).

Oh probably me. One of my Great Grandmothers was a bit on the eccentric side though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.