Agnostic.com

46 17

Do you try not to think about religion at all?

If I had it my way, I wouldn't talk about religion-- and I wouldn't think about it. I thought about it five times more after moving to Oklahoma where it is so saturated with religion.

The strange thing is, after coming here and getting my religion rants "out of my system" I think and talk less about religion and I'm more interested in other topics on Agnostic usually. (Every once in awhile I indulge, but it's far less).

I'm not saying I don't care at all, but I feel the burden of religion is lifted by being around non-religious people for a change.

You?

silvereyes 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've found the study of religion and it's philosophies interesting. On occasion using my broader knowledge of it in order to make dealing with some people easier (mostly because I have to on a daily basis). I also use it to fuck with people when they come to my wanting to share the good news.

I was raised in a somewhat liberal, college town in a dark ages kind of conservative state. Became A/Ag, but for the word when I was 8.
I have actually been much more interested in religion(s) since then. I was and am still to some degree a physical science driven person. I have as I aged become more interested in the humanities and forms of social "energy" and what "matters". 😉

Mostly I'd forgotten about it. I haven't thought about religion practically at all for years until I joined here. It comes up as a topic here a lot - surprisingly.

That would be really hard since I write about ghosts and vampires and witches and demons. My favorite TV show is Supernatural, and I love mythology. They're pretty much steeped in religion. That being said, there's a huge difference between what Sam and Dean Winchester do and the rantings of Pat Robertson. When it get's taken seriously, then it's dangerous. But as a story, it has a deep connection to our deepest fears and desires.

I used to live in the theocracy of Roman Catholic French Acadia on the Northern boarder of Maine . Definitely the place to go if you want a dose of religion overdose . They are so encumbered by it though , you can observe the common mistakes of being so , much more clearly , as they are repeated more often .
When strangers speak on the topic , it's not quite so bad , but when family does so , it can be depressing . My Grama died an hour or so past midnight this morning , & when the relatives come in , it's going to be Jesus fest overdose ! I did what I could for her when she was living , I can do no more .
When I was younger , I would have religion free days ,, & when I thought about the religious aspects of any given topic , I would always think to myself , "What does religion have to do with any of it ? This isn't Sunday"? So ya , I look forward to such times , I sure do 😉

Dougy Level 7 Feb 22, 2018

Difficult to do in these bible belts but we lack dynamics because we are so poorly organized as a position. It is almost like we need to form assemblies of some kind inorder to make our position one of significance.

I LOVE to debate religion and politics. I find that talking to people who disagree with me causes me to think new thoughts that I wouldn't otherwise have had. Nothing theists throw at me holds up under examination. Conservatives have convinced me of Only one thing: MGTOW.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

@silvereyes True. But there seem to be countless ways to defeat their arguments. Not that any of them can get passed their shield of willful ignorance.

I very rarely talk about religion and it very seldom mentioned in casual conversation, therefore, there is no need to think about it. 🙂 As the saying goes: "if you want a change then use your mind for a change/"

Religion very rarely crosses my mind, I'm not interested in it. I do wonder what this universe is all about from time to time, although a lot less than I used too.

I never think if it unless someone else brings it up. What is there to think about? Not a big fantasy guy

I find religion so irrelevant to my daily life that unless someone is forcing it down my throat (I live in OK too so it's all over the place) I don't think about it much. That's how I view the existence of a god...I don't know and to be honest, I don't care. I concentrate on this life because I suspect that's all I will get.

I only think about it when asked my religion. At which time it's either over or I'm challenged. If challenged I go ballistic on them.

Religion messed me up so much when I was young, that I am very concerned and active to help others who wish to escape. Ironically I am sure I think about more than most religious people. In my case it is a very positive thing

Ditto. I've set the homepage so I don't see so many religious posts. Seems weird saying that on this site. lol

I'm long over it. What people believe is none of my business, as long as they leave me alone.

I don't TRY not to. I just simply DON'T think about it.

I would rather talk about other things.religion and politics are annoying. As far as I'm concerned I don't really care what anyone else thinks about either and don't feel like I need to explain how I feel about either. If I'm in a relationship I want to know your beliefs of course but that's one conversation. There's so much more going on in the world.

I find religion entertaining and unavoidable in modern society.

I don't try... I just do... then again I come to this site and religion is front and center.

I would rarely think about religion if I wasn't exposed to PDR's (Public Displays of Religion) on various media, family, friends, etc. I don't even notice churches unless there is a huge feature like a cross or stained glass. It' hard not to notice bells ringing. I wish they wouldn't do that. I'm glad I haven't had my senses of smell touch or taste programmed to religion.

@silvereyes Thanks

I don't feel any religion, but we're exposed to it so often it's hard not to think about it. Or at least feel annoyance about it when we are.

@silvereyes It's a safe, comfortable place to be mentally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27235
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.