Agnostic.com

11 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Restaurants that play heavy rock load have lost my business just because the waiter could not hear my order. That was the last time there. When I am eating it is very nice to listen to mellow instrumental music however they still insist on having someone sing which makes it hard to dine and talk.

Funny thing is that overly loud restaurants were never "a thing" for me until I was in my mid 60s. So is it my hearing going down the tubes (a fact) or is the noise level really higher? It does, however, always amaze me that people would go to a restaurant with live music at the cost of no conversation with the people one is with. When people come to my house for dinner we never turn the music up so loud conversation is impossible. Does anybody?

OCJoe Level 6 Jan 27, 2019

I carry earplugs everywhere I go. I have been known to use them in some restaurants.

I bet that makes for interesting conversations if you have dinner companions.

@HippieChick58 Before using the earplugs I inform my companions that I'm going to "check out" for awhile in order to maintain some degree of sanity. If they want to communicate, they can play charades, write something down, or yell really loud. After the meal, and when leaving the restaurant, I take out the earplugs, thank my companions for their patience, and suggest we never eat there again.

@BestWithoutGods Good plan

It depends on where you go. Some are.

Yup.. nothing worse than screaming over dinner...

They certainly are where I live. I think its mostly due to hard furnishings and bare hard walls reflecting and re-reflecting the sounds. If a resturant had a tv on I would not go in and if they put it on during my meal, I would refuse to pay for anything more than the materials used to make the meal.

no. they have always been too loud.

g

@PalacinkyPDX i guess i don't get out much. but they still have always been too loud for me.

g

@PalacinkyPDX i'm a foodie lol i make my own.... and i do so relatively quietly (she said, whispering).

g

Yes they are. There are places I will not support due to noise levels. Even when I spoke to the manager, in one case, about hanging noise baffles, it fell on deaf ears. Wait! Did I just type that? ?

Depends on the the acoustics in the space.

Many of them are, & even if the food is top notch, I don't want to eat there.

It really bothers me if I'm out with a group and can't hear conversations at the table

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.