Agnostic.com

42 1

Conspiracy Theories - Do you believe in any?

I know someone who thinks 9/11 and the moon landing were faked, that Obama was born in Kenya, and that Michelle Obama is really a man.

I'd never met anyone like that. Do you or someone you know believe this stuff? If so, what?

• 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 13 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 16 votes
shockwaverider 8 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The government is using chem-trails to kill us. I meet people all the time spreading this nonsense. I do not believe in conspiracy theories. There is too much to enjoy in life. I cannot spend my time being paranoid. Also, the group of super evil best friends known as the illuminati. That one is my favorite.

I tend to think that Deep State might exist. I've also had many problems with the JFK murder that was so conveniently explained away and solved so quickly. Too many things there do not fit.

My cats are plotting to kill me in my sleep

Yeah I’m not much like conspiracies

Here are the stupid conspiracies my mom believes in:
-9/11 was a false flag
-Sandy Hook was a false flag
-The CIA killed JFK
-Chemtrails are real
-The Holocaust was exaggerated
-The Illuminati is real
-Hillary Clinton has ordered the assassinations of dozens of people
-The Moon Landing was hoaxed
-The cure for cancer is being suppressed
-Hitler fled to South America
-The CIA killed Martin Luther King Jr.

There are probably more I'm forgetting.

Curious,
I'm guessing you believe each of these listed is wrong. I honestly, sincerely am asking how you can KNOW each one is false, beyond any doubt?
I doubt most of these, true, but I'd hesitate to call my mother stupid, without more evidence. I like to listen (even to things I am inclined to disbelieve) because I gain knowledge, be it positive or negative.

@njoy_life_2 The reason I am confident in saying that they're wrong is that they are almost entirely based on misunderstandings of science and plagued with logical fallacies. Obviously, I will not make a 100% knowledge claim because that's useless, but I do feel I am justified in thinking they are wrong.

Also, at no point did I call my mother stupid, so please don't put words in my mouth or insinuate that I did. I merely said her conspiracies are stupid.

@wjwolfe
Apologies for that comment W. I spoke too hastily.

I believe all those conspiracy theorists are out to get us!

I've known some deluded people.

I can't say I "believe" in these, yet I don't know that I disbelieve either.

"Conspiracy" and "theory" aren't one word. We KNOW, beyond any doubt there have been conspiracies in the past. We KNOW there are unscrupulous people in powerful positions who would not hesitate to deceive, cheat, harm, or kill others to preserve or gain more power.

The question then, is not "why do you believe one?", but why are you certain NONE of these are true?

Example: I'm pretty sure we've been to the moon, yet I can't understand why, since the 911 plane wreck site in PA was cluttered with bodies, papers, luggage, seats, wing parts, engines, the outer layers of the plane, scorched ground, yet there was no trace of ANY of that at the pentagon, not even any trace of the wings hitting the building. ... Go look at the pix.

I'm NOT saying anything about that, but I've never heard a satisfactory explanation either.

I've also never heard a satisfactory explanation.

Late to replying to this comment, but there was indeed wreckage at the site as this photo shows.

@wjwolfe
Whatever is shown now, W, was not in the photos and news videos at the original time. I watched intently.

I try not to underestimate the stupidity or perfidy of my fellow humans. They often amaze me nevertheless.

I think that most "conspiracy theory" is simply stupid shit that distracts from the real issues. Or is there to discredit some one or something.

Real conspiracy exists, that is no reason to believe some of the nonsense out there.

From wikipedia...

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" was a phrase made popular by Carl Sagan. However, Laplace writes: "The weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness."[1] Also, David Hume wrote in 1748: "A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence", and "No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish."[2] and Marcello Truzzi says: "An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."[3]

I am a little bit disappointed in those of you that believe this stuff. I really expected a bit more skepticism around here.

@jorj Interesting site with some commentary about 9/11 myths.

[911myths.com]

Would you please specify just what stuff you are "disappointed in?"
I AM sceptical. How does it seem I am not sceptical? -Because I'm not gullible enough to swallow our manipulative governments official version?
Because when someone asked "What's missing in this pic?", I actually looked? (It was any trace of a HUGE plane, btw, a plane which was 2 or 3 stories tall)
I try to follow facts insofar as they are available, yet am reluctant to blindly believe anything but my own senses.
Several facts indicate we, the public, were lied to. For YOU to tell those of us who dare question, causes me to question your validity,
I wonder if you have complacent faith in the our lying corrupt government, or if you are one of these spy/trolls who abound online, spewing out government/ elite/corporate propaganda. Or, perhaps, like some, you are afraid to look at difficult facts?
Me? Who could or would possibly bribe me to question this bs?
Again, Sir, I ask you, don't just poopoo all thoughts of wrongdoing (which, by definition, conspiracy is)
Say why you think a person is wrong.
If you can.

A chap I used to know was a great believer that the moon landings never happened. He also believed that dinosaurs never existed and that the fossil record had been falsified for reasons he could never explain.

My ex-wife believes that Israel was behind 9/11 and that the Rothschilds control pretty much everything - fairly shocking considering she most certainly isn't an antisemite, but it just goes to show how pervasive some antisemitic myths are.

A colleague, as I've mentioned on this website before, believes Mohammad built the Great Pyramid with help from aliens.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Other. I believe that the 1% is trying to keep the middle class miserably poor. Oh, wait, is that a conspiracy or is that really true?

I don't think many of the 1% care how much others make as long as they make more...

Yeah, good question.

I strongly believe that the 2000 election was stolen by Bush but that isn't really a conspiracy theory now that I think of it. It's practically an accepted fact.

Yet, wasn't it called that very thing, at first.

I think that was a combination of an appallingly inefficient voting system, together with a politicised Supreme Court, rather than any kind of conspiracy. The whole world saw that.

I have a neighbor...wow is all I can say about him. heh heh But I do believe JFK was ACCIDENTALLY shot a second, and fatal time, by a secret service agent, from a follow car after the shots of Oswald.

No to all.

Silly conspiracy theories all.

I don't believe in any of that nonsense and I truly worry about people in my life who do.

I have known people who think 9/11 was planned by our government, and that chemtrails are real, but not contrails. DOH!

I've always thought there was more to the Kennedy assassination than they've let on.

godef Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

Yes. In that case I don't think it was a great big conspiracy to assassinate JFK. Rather, it was conspiring to conceal, after the event, incompetence and bad judgement that led to the assassination. I may be wrong. But if I'm right, that's still conspiracy to conceal culpability.

All conspiracy theories are the products of troubled, paranoid minds.

No. None. Utterly crazy ridiculousness.

I firmly believe that Dick Cheney is an alien or one of those T-800 terminators (the early ones, not the cool liquid metal T-1000). Those that believe KNOW that wasn't a heart transplant he received, but instead a replacement power cell (non-tesla model). We have our eye on you Cheney, watch out!

Don't believe in any of these. But there are conspiracies. Russian's involvement in our country constitutes a very broad multi-pronged attack, including cyber espionage & hacking, social media propaganda campaign, direct collusion with Trump's people, and illegal money laundering to finance GOP interests, including the NRA

[nytimes.com]

Buildings just don,t fall that way when hit by a plane or planes and the 3rd one fell by it,s self later on..and my list goes on and on

They do when it's a controlled detonation, right?

I'm also intrigued by all those phone calls made by passengers by mobile phones, even though phones then, and even now, can't work at that altitude with cell towers seamlessly, or even work at all. Like to have an explanation for that too.

@David1955 and Rachel, ty for stating your thoughts.

I believe there is information about 911 that we will probably never know. I don't believe that the buildings would fall like they did without explosives and during the first few days it was the conclusion that there were explosives involved then the narrative abruptly changed. I was glued to the news as many people were, that part just does not add up. I don't think the government planned it or anything but someone got into those buildings that shouldn't have.

i watch the news that day and i know what I saw.They where showing it over and over lets just use a bit of logic and common sense here shall we, maybe find it a bit suspicious if anything?

Do people tell the truth always? No. Do governments, corporations, the military, religions...always tell the truth? No. Is public opinion ever deliberately manipulated? Yes.

'Conspiracy Theory' has become a blanket term to mock and discredit anyone that seeks to draw attention to an issue.
For example, when we in the west discuss 9.11 we talk about whether it was a false flag attack etc. We rarely talk about it in terms of why were those young men so disturbed by our respective countries foreign policies that they were prepared to carry out such a horrific act.
Noam Chomsky has quite a bit to say about manipulation of public opinion.

Yes I agree. It's time to salvage the term conspiracy theory from an image of nut jobs off their meds who watch too much XFiles, to a recognition that power will lie and deceive and discredit to avoid responsibility and we should question everything. Often we can only really prove things when people leak or confess - Pentagon papers, Vietnam, Watergate, Snowden. Power has enormously effective legal and other mechanisms to discourage that. And, yes, I agree with you about Chomsky. He calls it Manufactured Consent.

* If we are atheists and we reject the illusions of religion which aim to manipulate people, should we not also reject, or at least challenge the elites, who manufacture secular socio-economic and political illusions that are intended to have the same purpose?

Or the fact that most of them were from Saudi Arabia. Nothing was said much about that because since we depend on them for large amounts of oil.

I didn't vote, but maybe I should vote other. I think conspiracy theorist's are conspiring to confuse the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27858
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.