Agnostic.com

32 10

Does or has anyone really felt they fit in?

I saw this in another post and I thought really no one fits in, or at least none of us who understand that we have choices in our beliefs have. Is this what makes us individuals?

I have never felt that I fit in, never. When I was young my brothers and sisters used to tell me I was adopted, to be sure that I was not part of the family (which is not true), then at school, it was always feeling out of it because I was not a sports person or whatever and later in life because I didn't believe in theology, that I never got married, that I was a single mom, that I went into a male dominated field, that I am over weight, or have gray hair, etc.

I am okay with not fitting in now, as I see it there is no 'in' to fit into.

How about you?

Akfishlady 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't fit in with some people, but in other ways I fit in with everyone.

I'm part Native American, tri-cultural, pentalingual, high IQ (with some corresponding liabilities), extremely active, eat health food, nonbinary and mixed gender, and have seen and experienced things most conventional Americans wouldn't even believe if I told them.

I have been riding, training, and (once) breeding horses since I was ten, but I don't believe in shoeing horses, using halters, keeping horses in stalls, feeding them processed feed, riding them in arenas, using saddles and bridles, or holding the lines tight when driving horses, etc. So, to typical American horse owners, I do NOT fit in.

So, I don't think like most conventional Americans, but on the other hand I feel at home anywhere in the world I've gone, and love learning about new cultures, meeting different kinds of people, etc.

Yeah, I was always a little different. Introspective and booky. College, once I got 2 years done at community college (basically just a contimuation of high school) and got to a liberal arts university, I felt way more at home.
In adulthood, I'm still not on the same page with people my age, but I have enough friends who don't fit in, either.

I think we all have that feeling we do not fit in. My brothers tried to pull that you're adopted crap on me and I threw it back in their faces by telling them at least I was chosen but the folks got stuck with them. Never heard I was adopted ever again. No human being on earth is perfect and those that look for things to criticize in you because they are insecure in things about themselves. You are unique, as we all are. Like Taylor Swift says, shake it off cause haters gotta hate hate hate. Hold you head high.

If I began to feel like I fit it would worry me. Hanging out, sort of on the peripheral, is more interesting to me, involved but not too involved. It lends itself to interacting with different groups of people which makes it all the more interesting. Traveling the country playing music was great training for this attitude. I realize it is not for everyone. A lot of folks feel a certain security in the group and that's fine too.

I have always considered myself a misfit, even among misfits I still don't fit in. I am slowly learning to accept the fact that I don't fit it with most people is not a bad thing, in fact, it is what makes me unique.

I also never fitted in because I went to a free school - it was great for me but not for fitting in when I eventually got moved to the local primary. everybody in our small town called me 'that strange child'
and I guess I took it on board - these days I am so glad I never fitted in - its very freeing ..

I don't feel like I fit in anywhere. It's a struggle. I still try, I haven't given up... But at this point, everything feels like a trudge. Just trudging from one thing to another, looking for any person or group to connect with. I have had a handfull of super close people who really get me and whom I really get, whether it is a significant other or roommate or close work friend and for various reasons I have drifted away from them. Life happens. Im not blaming anyone else, part of it (or probably most) is that my threshold for buy-in to anything more than fleeting casual friendship may be higher... Maybe because I think people are not worth it... Maybe I think that because I don't think I'm worth it. Idk

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.