Agnostic.com

16 2

So, why are you an Atheist?

What is your reason for having no belief in a god/higher power. For agnostics, why are you unsure? What piece of evidence could sway you either way?

DannyL 3 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised Catholic. I made it all the way to my communion, and so I understand why people are drawn to religion. When things are hard it's easier to say things are out of your hands and in God's hands, but religion requires that you don't question it. You can't question any part of it because you'll quickly realize it doesn't make any sense. And so to summarize it in a short statement: I prefer the hard truth to a comforting lie.

'Why' can mean different thing. My justification for not being a believer is that there is no evidence of a god and there are sufficiently good explanations for how the world works.
But why did I come to believe this? I guess because I wasn't indoctrinated as a child and always wanted to know what was the truth. Education in the sciences also helped.

Dietl Level 7 Feb 4, 2019

I’ve found not other choice ~

Varn Level 8 Feb 4, 2019

Honesty. Why pretend to believe something you don't know?

To paraphrase Matt Dillahunty, I don't have any evidence of a god, and until I get some, I just don't know.

Hi. I never believed in any god and do not see any reason to do so. I am not sure what it would take to change my mind but it would have to be beyond doubt in its authenticity. Something that could stand up to the scientific method would be a start.

Praying has gotten me exactly as much as birthday candle wishes, falling "srar" wishes, wishbone wishes, etc.

Prayers, much like worry and rocking chairs, give you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Many family members growing up were not very good or stable people, and their religious beliefs seemed to be intertwined with their immoral views and acts, and unstable personalities. Later, in college, I took a great books class. We read parts of the bible. A professor in that class was Calvinist, and I used the Socratic method on his views to try to figure some things out. I asked him if evil was defined as dysfunction, disease, destruction, etc. He said yes. So I asked if Satan was evil. Yes. Absolutely evil? Yes. Wouldn't that mean Satan was absolutely dysfunctional, diseased, destroyed, etc., and wouldn't that mean he didn't (indeed couldn't) exist? No, he told me. "One being can be absolutely evil, and that being is Satan." Ok, (I accepted that for the sake of argument), well, if that is the case, then Satan is absolutely evil and god is absolutely good, in which case they would be in an eternal stalemate.

Yes, he told me, until God throws Satan in the Lake of Fire at the end of time.

Ding. I felt a shift, a click...something. And I was an atheist. It was so absurd that I couldn't even accept it for the sake of argument. It was a bridge too far, and I couldn't accept any of the nonsense for the sake of argument again. It's just...literally...stupid. Nonsensical.

Still never saw a theist don't lie
and.....

Lack of ANY credible evidence, facts or data.
Some good credible evidence for me would be for god to separate the waters of the lake I live by and I could walk across on the lake bottom and back to prove that I am not hallucinating. Something it has supposedly done before on a much larger scale so shouldn't be asking too much.

Because I think, therefore....

Why do I not believe in the faith (belief without evidence) assertion that has no testable scientific evidence to suggest a god exists? Because there is no testable evidence to demonstrate a god exists.

You appear to not fully understand the definition of agnostic. Agnostic is questioning our knowledge (not belief) in a god. They are different.

Theist and Atheist are positions of belief. You can be an agnostic (realizes you can not know that there is a god) theist. Or you can be an agnostic atheist (not a theist).

That's why I asked the question, i probably don't know enough about agnostics. My understanding of an agnostic is someone who doesn't think there is a god but is open the possibility of one

@DannyL I respect your open mind to honestly ask for clarification.

You would be surprised how many people don't understand the difference.

In a nutshell:

Theist: Someone who believes there is a god

Agnostic Theist: someone who believes there is a god but realizes there is no methodology to actually know (have reliable evidence) that a god exists or does not exist.

Atheist: Someone who lacks the belief in a god. Easy to remember "a" = not + theist = "Not a theist" If you do not believe in a god, you are not a theist or an atheist.

Agnostic Atheist: Someone who lacks a belief in a god and recognizes that we can not know (have reliable evidence that demonstrates a god exists or does not exist)

because there aren't any gods and no one has any evidence, or a convincing argument, otherwise. we can't see dark matter but we can measure its effects. i can't say as much for any gods.

g

I have studied the Bible enough to know that it is full of contradictions and false prophecies. If there were a god, would she really claim the Bible to be her word? I have asked many Christians for evidence that the Bible is true and that gods really exist. They have been unable to provide me with any solid evidence at all. Their apologetics are weak and full of holes. The Christian mythology is just as fictitious as the ancient Egyptian, Greek, Norse, Roman and other mythologies.

wait... prometheus wasn't real? i'm shattered!

g

Have you ever seen the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Hamm?

@DannyL No, but it sounds interesting. Is it online?

@BestWithoutGods you can view it on YouTube. When you have a chance watch it. He genuinely believes the world is only 5000 years old

@DannyL I'm about half-way through the debate. Love it. Bill Nye is definitely the winner so far. Ken Hamm seems to be pulling falsehoods out of his ass. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods Yeah Bill continues to win. Hamms arguments are hilarious and don't get me started on his "Science" ?

@DannyL I just finished it. I agree with you. Hamm is not science-based. Nye is. I go with Nye. 🙂 Thank you for the recommendation.

To get to the other side.

Solid. The likeliness we get confirmation of either is as close to 0 as you can get.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:280831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.