Agnostic.com

20 3

What's your reaction when someone describes themselves as "just a simple guy/gal"?

misternatureboy 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Shallow as a Kardashian fan.

Meh, boring. I like simple, I'm not simple.

I wonder if they mean simple like a bumpkin

Do you know which Hogwarts house you belong to?

Well...there is simple as in “plain and simple”, easily understood, and the opposite would be complex. I would think anyone who calls themselves simple is probably much more likely to be pretty complex and I would have to ask myself why they thought they needed to label themselves as the opposite.

They're from the Philippines.

skado Level 9 Feb 5, 2019

I wonder what brand of beer they drink....

I’ll describe myself that way when I want to throw people off guard.

"Simple-minded" springs to mind.

"In Mexican culture, calling a man simple is a big compliment," Elisabet, a girl I mentored, said. "It means he is humble and dependable."

In a scholarship essay, Elisabet had described herself as "simple." I suggested we look it up on Thesaurus.com.

"In English, the implication is 'simple-minded,'" I said. Instead Elisabet wrote:

"I am a modest girl with big dreams." That worked.

In June 2018, Elisabet graduated from expensive, private Gonzaga University debt-free. Renewable scholarships, grants and work study made that possible. Elisabet is studying to become a pediatrician.

I like her definition - I had the opportunity to work with a retired man from Mule Shoe, Texas - one of his complimentary, common descriptions was to remark “he was as common as dirt.” Which to me, implied the same things your friend spoke of.

I for one am anything BUT simple.
And I like it that way.

They're hiding their true intentions.

To quote: "Simple is as simple does"

I’m not quick to profile or designate a label anyone.
I usually let people do that for themselves and if they say that they’re “ just a simple kinda person .“ then that’s their view.

Which does have various meanings so I can either assume or like I said I’ll wait and let them demonstrate their interpretation of themselves.

But everyone is different so one person’s description of the same thing my be to a degree different than what we believe it to be as well.

Honestly there’s nothing simple about being simple if you ask me ?

@ProudMerrie Actually I’ve been reading them and I believe that the way people interpret how we view ourselves is extremely interesting indeed.

I have made the mistake of falling for a 'simple' guy. I don't recommend it. Or at least spend some time figuring out what that description means to them.

Hysterical laughter.

I know l won't ask them difficult questions, or ask them to do complicated tasks like tying a shoe or using the remote.

Trying to avoid appearance of putting on airs; trying to appear humble. "I don't think I'm better than anyone else." Could be genuine or a guise; usually I think genuine.

A person who does not think much of themselves.

Not trying to impress or please anyone...don't need to...truthful...no games...what you see is what you get...

succinct in words and life to get a point across

straightforward

Usually more intelligent than most...quiet and observant...

Minimalist

Unassuming...simple pleasures and needs...

I like your definition of "simple." I think it's a place we finally get to and are comfortable with who we are.

@Wildflower I agree...lots of breathing space for yourself because, in all honesty, you truly do not give a damn what anyone thinks...peaceful existence...simple and free...

IQ or just simple needs?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:282280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.