Agnostic.com

13 1

Only 5 Weeks until St Patrick's Day! What is your town/city doing to prepare for this Irish holiday?

GuitarDoctor 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rehearsing a Riverdance routine

I am not Irish. I am English. When I lived in USA everyone thought I was Irish because I'm ginger and my accent. Either that or Australian. If I said I was English everyone would attempt a Cockney accent at me! (Like why???). In the end I said I am Irish Australian and yeah course I know the queen 😉

I worked in the south of England for a few years and got fed up with the locals trying to put on a Scottish accent so I know what you mean

St. Paddy's day to us:

St Paddy's in America is an Irish holiday like burritos covered in white cheese is Mexican food.

Now some might argue this indicates a lack of culture, but I say this is how culture is formed. America has always taken things from abroad and changed them, or tried to further innovate them. It doesn't always work, but frankly cheese covered burritos are delicious and St. Paddy's is an excellent excuse to get drunk with no social stigma.

Besides, when Americans think of Irish culture they're not thinking about Dublin or Kilkenny, they're thinking of Boston. St. Paddy's might actually be a better reflection of Irish American culture anyway lol.

You stoled em

Here's a listing of events for Albuquerque:

[tripsavvy.com]

Just leaving this here...

Its also a bit out of date

that's very cute 🙂 I play fiddle in a Celtic band. St Patrick's Day (week) is our busiest week out of the year...and yeah, they think they're Irish 🙂

I never wear a hat, and no way green beer enters me. And I can usually name the PM. I mispronounce, but know, a number of counties, even have a set of caves named for my family. My father talked about his Irish Uncles here not getting jobs due to being Irish. My dad was born here in 22, the youngest, and i in 55. I never knew my Grandparents. I have some Irish Republican friends on FB; they keep me posted on certain politics. And, Thin Lizzy, the Greatest Rock band from Ireland, does an excellent version of Whiskey in the Jar. I also know that the Guinness brothers are more English. And that one got exploded.

@celticagent But you are American

@celticagent, @Beowulfsfriend Go on whats his name

@Amisja oh my God you guess correctly you win a gold star ??

@celticagent It rather irritates a lot of the Irish brothers n sisters (hence the vid)

@Amisja Vardakat ? I won't look. And I expect Brexit happens with no solution to N. Ireland will bring an Nirexit. Then, maybe a Scotexit. I'll go look now.

It is Varadkar. Close, no cigar. Guarantee closer than most US citizens.

And remember we stole the term Americans, as every nation over here have Americans technically, they no longer want to admit it. We are the United States of America; just as Mexico is by its law the United States of Mexico.
It would be like if the Swiss were the only ones called Europeans in Europe. I expect a smart person like you knows all this.

@Beowulfsfriend Leo Varadkar. I think he is actually fabulous

@Beowulfsfriend of course

@Amisja I've seen his progressive agenda. Abortion in Ireland, while we have states trying to outlaw what our top court ruled 40 plus years ago as legal.

@Beowulfsfriend I think the sexual abuse scandal had one good effect, it meant a lot of Irish citizens questioned their faith and what they believed was sacred. They legalised same sex marriage too. A modern European country.

Eat a shamrock salad and bathe in a bath of Guinness

I used to live in Rolla Missouri. The students at the University of Missouri Rolla go out the night before St. Patrick's Day and paint main street Kelly Green with mops with the city's permission.

Liverpool has been a city racked with sectarian divide. In consequence on st Patrick's night 60% of the drinkers will be out celebrating. Then a few months later the other 60% will be celebrating the 12th of July

Back in the 90's(or sooner) the Bend Over Church purged the saints rolls. Some big names got thrown out for lack of real evidence of miracles. The irony is not lost on me. George got thrown out (note, he us still the patron saint of England's Anglicans) and Christopher (making all those plastic bobble dolls useless). And, the committee suggest Patrick........ That idea got nixed at the top.

I am celebrating the fact I am not Irish.

?

Asking who is St Patrick!

He was a well known Welshman who swam across the Irish sea and banished all the snakes from the island.

@Moravian the snakes are a metaphor for pagans LOL

I love Saint Patrick's Day it's one of my favorite holidays. Here in Raleigh we celebrate with a huge parade and a chance party and drink with the pros!

Drink with the pros . by that do you mean down them with the serious imbibers ?

@Moravian OH YEAH!!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.