Agnostic.com

11 3

Do you believe in homeopathy?

• 3 votes
  • 25 votes
BohoHeathen 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Homeopathy is pure bunk.

The idea is that "like cures like". If you want to cure nausea homeopathically, you would take one drop of something that makes one nauseated like ipecac syrup into a pool of water. Then take 1 drop of that pool of water and dilute it into another pool of water. Continue this until there isn't likely to be one atom of the ipecac in the water. The water is now believed to have the "memory" of the ipecac and could be used to treat nausea.

The Amazing Randi ingested an entire bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills on stage and nothing happened.

If homeopathy worked, then regular tap water would cure all disease. The water you drink today has passed through countless sick people, sick animals, and sick dinosaurs and would have the memory of every disease and ailment since the first single celled organism appeared.

Reading the comments (and from what i have seen online), its clear one of the major problems is many people don't actually know what is and what constitutes homeopathy.

Just another alternitive medicine craze.

homeopathy definitely exists, whether or not we believe in it.

does everything labeled homeopathic work, and if so, does it work for everything? there is no such thing as a panacea and growing out of the ground instead of being compounded in a lab is no guarantee of effectiveness or even harmlessness. i use goldenseal as an anti-infective. i can tell you that when i had a raging, festering infection on my toe for a MONTH, and no topical or oral medical treatment would cure it, and doctors were baffled, i put some goldenseal powder on the wound and it stopped festering within an hour; in three days the wound was totally healed with barely a scar showing. but that doesn't mean some other herb is good for whatever it is people say it does. when i have bronchitis i let my doc choose an antibiotic for me. goldenseal isn't going to touch it. if i have cancer, i may or may not agree to chemo and/or radiation but i'm sure as hell not going to go on someone's hinky diet and expect the cancer to be cowed. so when people say they do or do not believe in [the effectiveness of] homeopathy, what are they talking about? the whole concept of using herbs at all for anything but flavoring, or the avoidance of chemicals, including lifesaving ones, or...? i don't think most people even KNOW what they mean. when they embrace it, they naively embrace everything "natural" (poison ivy is natural; death is natural!) or condemn the idea that anyone could possibly benefit from something a doctor didn't prescribe (kind of a blanket condemnation). life doesn't work that way.

g

I voted no, but just have to say this confusion between homeopathy and natural remedies is annoying. Homeopathy is not natural remedies. Homeopathy is the practice of exposing yourself to something that'd normally make you sick when you are already sick. The thought process is that if there is a drug or food that would create symptoms in a healthy person, when someone who is ill with those symptoms takes it, it'll stimulate the immune system to fight those symptoms. That is homeopathy.. but for some reason the masses have grown confused. Homeopathy can be both natural and manmade substances.

@Dave75 Yeah, the entire thing is ignorant. "Like causes like, but only if it's is so diluted there isn't actually any in the pill, now give me your money, you sheep" is hilarious.

As my grandmother used to say, "a fool and their money are soon parted"

That's cute.

Bunk.
JMHO.
Here is a little bit from James Randi on Homeopathy.

Your photos are misleading

The concept doesn’t make sense to me, but I’m no expert. Though the experts that I trust say it does not work, so I side with them.

Some work, some are nonsense.. you have to know the difference.
I read about young girls putting yogurt up thier vaginas for a yeast infection or drinking cranberry juice for a UTI. These are not helpful.

i would call those in the general category of natural remedies. Not Homeopathy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:285002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.