Agnostic.com

22 1

Do you think everything happen for a reason? how can we know its reason?

polvy 3 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course everything happens for a reason. Its called "cause and effect".Beyond that its called "Shit happens!"

MarqG Level 5 Feb 24, 2018

I do NOT think ANYTHING happens for a reason and if it does, the reason will be physics. IMHO

Chain of causality is a thing, but there is no divine plan.

The only way something happens for a reason is from the perspective of cause and effect. There is no supernatural 'reason' for anything to happen. I can't stand it when people say that. If something happens and one wants to learn a lesson from it, then that is a good thing.

Absolutely not

Yes. I am almost entirely a determinist, to the point of believing that will is certainly not always free, but some portion of will may straddle the line between free and caused. Of course quantum physics may prove me wrong, at least in a "small" way, lol.

Have you ever considered that we might be living in a conditionally deterministic universe wherein the prevailing conditions determine states of affairs? For example, tomorrow you are walking down a street in town at 3:00 PM and a friend is walking on the same side of the street, unknown to each of you is the fact that you are walking towards one another and at some point you will meet. If you or he or she is not on the same street at the above mentioned time then no meeting between you will take place.

@astralmax lol

@ASTRALMAX Actually I am aware that determinism can only exist in a universe that contains the conditions of time and space.

Yes. The reason is physics.

That's as much reason as you're gonna find.

Not at all. There's nothing controlling what happens beyond physics and such, and physics doesn't care what happens to us. Most of the time the whole "everything happens for a reason" schtick is just victim blaming.

The cause/reason for an event/occurrence can be explained, but things are not preordained to happen unless deliberately planned. There is no mystical being orchestrating events in the universe. As someone else has already said, "shit happens."

For every action there's a reaction. Yes things happen for a reason. When bad things happen the reason is usually we have made a bad decision. And the opposite for good things,. Some things are beyond our control but there is still a reason why everything happens. You can find most of those reasons in a science book.

No, I think that's pretty silly. The universe is pretty random and our place in it is nearly infinitesimally small.The only plan it has for any of us is to see that our atoms get disbursed back into the cosmos! Sorry.
Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong!

Is conscience a feeling or thinking?

polvy Level 3 Feb 26, 2018

No but if its a shit happening there will be pain to deal with and if its a funny happening there will be laughter and if its a mixed bag happening there could be learning.probably depends upon how we meet changes.

YES. Physics.

Unless some human makes something happen, pretty much everything that happens is an accident; including the existence of humans.

TWDay Level 4 Feb 25, 2018

As far as we may tell there is a cause for everything we see. There is a reason for many things but surely not all things. We may only know that a reason exits for some action or object when reasoning on observable phenomenon points to that conclusion. This is not certainty. It is the determination of a reasonable probability based on available evidence.

No, I think most of life is random, though sometimes subject to our personal choices - IF all goes as predicted (which we know is not always the case). Whe-e-e-e !

Yes, but just not necessarily the reason you want.

Most certainly there's a reason for any event. Most things happen for reasons that are mundane, though. As for the grand reason that there's something rather than nothing? I don't know.

NO.

We are co-creators of our own universe, so there's nobody to blame.
“I regard consciousness as fundamental and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

In my earlier life, i made that statement all the time. That was... when I thought there was some overpowering force of a MAN-LIKE entity, putting me through some kind of paces in order to show me what HE could do and what I was made of! Now...I believe none of that...and life is still progressing in the same manner. I just use what I have learned and try to make the best decisions, based on that knowledge and experience AND adjust myself when necessary! Every event in my life can be put to good use, so in that sense...'everything happens for a reason!'

Oh, sorry - forgot you also asked how we can know its reason. Some stuff is obvious because the science behind it is self-evident. For example, if your glass of lemonade knocks over and spills, and the immediate antecedent was that your hand touched the glass and moved across the area where the glass was previously, we can be pretty sure that the reason your lemonade spilled was because you knocked over the glass of it.

Other than that, there are various techniques like root cause analysis, inductive or deductive reasoning...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28579
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.