Agnostic.com

8 11

Today while snowshoeing, I learned a friend is gay.

Today I went snowshoeing along Icicle Creek with an old friend. Shannon and I were in a Lamaze class together when we were pregnant 28 years ago. It was fun catching up with her.

Years ago with our two babies, we hiked and traveled to the Oregon Coast. I felt safe traveling with Shannon and Doug, who is a pediatrician.

Shannon told me she is gay. We had a deep conversation. I did a lot of listening.

"My being gay was the reason for my divorce from Doug," Shannon said. I always thought Shannon was gay because of her mannish look. She smoked a pipe years ago.

After snowshoeing, I invited her to my home for tea. More conversation and laughter. Gave her a hug before she left.

We had a lot of fun. It was great to re-connect with Shannon.

Now it's dark and there's a blizzard raging. I feel lucky to be indoors and warm.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems like it won't stop snowing over here in Edmonds... It sure is beautiful

Your friend has snow shoes?!

@JimSherlock1008

Yes. Shannon has the same snowshoes I gave to my daughter Claire last year. I gave Claire my old snowshoes and poles.

In 2018, I upgraded my snowshoes to:

MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes - with a heel lift bar for uphill efficiency.

This gives your more power going uphill, and takes the strain off your achilles tendon and calf muscles.

The transition to the last sentence was rather abruptly. From hiking, revealing conversations to blizzard, warm indoors. Alone? With your old friend? Further thoughts on the reveal?

@Barnie2years

Thanks for your message. I added this transition paragraph:

After snowshoeing, I invited her for tea. More conversation and laughter. Gave her a hug before she left.

With a little work, your headline could be the title of a John Prine song.

I've had a few friends come out to me. Always made me feel trusted, and that
meant everything.
Happy for you that your friend trusts you enough to be truthful about herself with you.
Stay warm.

It's good she felt comfortable around you to tell you the big news. Now she can feel more free to be herself no matter if it's butch, stud, or lipstick lesbian. I wish I had really open minded friend to tell that I'm pan sexual. (friends off this web site)

Headline had me concerned, I’m glad it was the appearance that made her gay and not the snowshoeing...

@OtherPatrick

Thanks. I clarified the headline. Appreciate your comment.

Beautiful pictures.

@tnorman1236

Thank you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:286468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.