Agnostic.com

10 7

LINK Blackface

Found the racists

DoctoralZombie 7 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is really sad.

Sad statistics.

This is such a sad commentary but doesn’t surprise me at all.

DON Lemon is great!

I dressed as a alien transvestite one year for Halloween. I want to go ahead and apologize to any aliens that might find it offensive.

No apology for transvestites? 😛

@bingst I was a transvestite, so no apology needed.😉

I'm starting to get really concerned now about all those times that black people dressed up as a cracker just for fun and even went to parties dressed that way. Oh, wait. I can't find any really. Was it Michael Jackson?

I'm waiting for the day when NPCs say you're a white supremacist for dressing up as Indiana Jones, because he carried a whip and stole cultural relics from the Hornotos and Nazca tribes.

but sometimes it just gets silly
[yahoo.com]

Or maybe an academic who studies the subject might know what they are talking about? Thoughts?

@DoctoralZombie maybe. I haven't seen the film. I was actually looking for a link to the recent remake of the film where there has accusations of blacking up which has been poo pooed as it was normal in those days for a sweep to have a black soot covered face,

You notice how all these race mongers have to point to shit that was 30, 40 or 60 years ago to talk about racism today? Oh...I forgot, band-aid are considered racist in today's society. Eye roll...

@jondspen I hope we have moved on from this [mirror.co.uk]

@Moravian Me too, but not because of the black face. That's just some shitty TV IMHO.

I watched Mary Poppins when I was young and never took a chimney sweeper as making fun of negros. but I was young and didn't see the nuances or understand some of the words.

@jondspen Plenty of recent examples. [vox.com]
30-60 yrs. ago, so that means they should just get over it right? Ok, then do me a favor and the next time you see someone with the confederate battle flag or a Nazi swastika tell them to get over it. Also there is an avalanche of political, economic, educational and health evidence/statistics showing the depth of racism that exists right now. I'll give you the links to verifiable sources, just ask.

@kmdskit3 Well, next time I see someone with the Nazi or Confederate flag, that would be happening NOW, and is a person being racist NOW. So sure, I will do that, no problem. And all your statistics point to a race doing poorly, but that does not equate to racism. Anecdotal, but I remember in school, kids were bullied and made fun of for being a "teacher's pet" if they did really well. Now you add on black kids calling another black kid Oreo, coconut, uncle tom, uncle ruckus, sell-out, it's not just about being a teacher's pet, but also implied they are betraying their race. Pretty good reason for a kid to feel bad and ostracized for doing well in school. I would be interested if your statistics are causal or corollary and can prove it, because there is a huge difference between the two.

@jondspen I said what I said about the flags as a response to your comment about things happening 30-60 yrs ago and that just because it's been awhile doesn't mean it's not relevant. If you see someone brandishing symbols of racism now, and there is overwhelming evidence of this kind of blatent racism right now, that is further evidence of racism now and not 30-60 yrs ago. This bolsters my argument even more. If a race is doing 'poorly' the only two possible explanations I can think of is institutional racism or there is something inherently lacking in that race. The first option is much more likely.

@kmdskit3 Well, lots to unpack there. First, sure, just because something happened a long time ago doesn't mean it is irrelivant, nor does it mean it is relevant. Nuclear tests in the Marshal Islands, yea - that shit is relevant today (radiation). Some idiot wore a black face costume 40 years ago, doesn't mean that person is lynching blacks today, or being racist today in other ways - just means they did some stupid shit in their youth. I haven't seen the VA governor wrapping himself in the confederate or Nazi flag recently. If you have those pics, please share them and I will support your point he is not fit for the office.

Second, those two reasons are viable, but your vast omniscient opinion says there can be no other? Really, you're not THAT conceited are you?!? After all, I think there are many others. Did you know , for example, Nigerians come to the US (legally I might add) and do quite well? While OMG - being black! WTF?!? How does that happen when there exists a system keeping a whole race down? Oh maybe, and just a shot in the dark here, it could be cultural, kinda like I just pointed out in my previous post.

Oh for fuck's sake... ?

These are the: I'm not my a racist racists. At least some. Some are very likely out and out racist and fine with that choice.

Yeah. Same ones who aren't racist because they "slept with a black chick/dude once" or "have black friends"

@DoctoralZombie I know. I hear, I went to a "black" party once and all I can think is so, WTF and how did that change you. I went to an Amish rumspringer party once and, you know, I didn't learn a damn thing I didn't already know - they are people.

I reread, and I don't like the word they. Hmm. I'll think on that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.