Agnostic.com

52 6

What made you an atheist/agnostic?

Hey! I have never used my account here, so I decided to make a question for a start. Consider me to be new.

Edit: Holy shit, I was not expecting such feedback. Thanks guys!

angelotzovanis 4 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was born an atheist.

I was born a freethinker, religion is taught so is atheist/agnostic.

Common sense.

I was born into a Mormon family and raised to be a Moron (oops, Mormon). As an adult I decided to study the prophecies of Joseph Smith (founding prophet of the Moron church), in order to convince others that he was a true prophet. Instead, the more I studied, the more I discovered that his prophecies did not consistently come true. (Even a false prophet can guess right part of the time.) I found several false prophecies, and concluded that Joe Smith was a fraud. At that point I left the Moron church.

Later, I put the biblical prophets through the same test, and got the same results. Every major prophet in the Buybull made some predictions that failed to come true, and the time for their fulfillment has passed. Therefore, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel are all as fraudulent as Joe Smith. I also found quite a few contradictions in the Bible, and evidence that parts of the Bible (notably Matthew, for example) appear to be satirical. Christian friends and family had me reading various books on apologetics, but all the arguments were flawed or weak. Seeing no good evidence that any gods existed, I became an atheist.

It's how christains treat the gay community, the contridictions in the bible, how screwed up the world is, and a family member telling me I was going to hell if I became an catholic(I was baptist). SO, I decided to free myself from the bs. I have been happier since.

Logistics!!...so many gods...and some drugs...never mind...?

Nothing. It’s the default position.

Belief is irrational when held for any other purpose than to avoid cognitive overload during a normal day. Even the moderately curious human being will realize soon that there is only one rational position to hold. Believe nothing other than the mundane (explanation available on request). Accept nothing without sufficient supporting objective evidence and when one does accept anything, one should always allow for the future possibility that it may be wrong. Think critically about and question all things.

Participating in a war.

To quote one of my heroes "Faith is the excuse used to justify a position when there isn't any evidence" (Matt Dillahunty). To be expected to believe in a sky daddy that will punish you forever for not believing in something for which there is no evidence at all is ludicrous.

Carlin in one of my favorite. He claimed he had as much authority as the pope, just not as many followers.

Every religion seems to be a business, some obvious and some more subtle. I was raised in the Roman Catholic religion, one of the worse. When I visited Rome, I went to Vatican City State. While their art was truly beautiful ... I was struck by the fact that, if they were REALLY Christians, they could use their opulent wealth to end poverty worldwide. The gold in and on St. Peter's Basilica, stolen in wars centuries ago, alone could help millions of people.

I credit my parents’ decision not to indoctrinate me into a belief system with the the way I think today. Moreover, negative experiences with children who belonged to a faith (Christianity, in particular) when I was young made me question the self-righteousness of orthodox religions.

Consequently, having studied religion as an adult (just to get into their headspace and to understand the psychological aspects of why one chooses to invest everything in fantastic and highly-improbable claims and scenarios), I could never become a bot.

Lack of evidence, suffering of people,impedes human progress.psychological damage blind faith,

No one is made atheist or agnostic. We're all born atheist. People are made religious through brainwashing and indoctrination. I was brought up as a southern baptist. I knew from my early teens it was bullshit but I was still forced to go to church.

When I was able to admit he was a hateful asshole (god), nonbelief came easily.

When I was young I didn't give it any thought so I can't say that I was a believer but as I got into my teens and started thinking about it I found that it made no sense.

God fails me and many others, ignoring injustice, and allowing suffering of many while few live in opulence.
If he/she/they are/is real they are not worth worshipping, but logically deities are just not practical to believe in for any reason.

Being raised evangelical!

I was never baptized and never really made to go to church ( A couple times as a child but only because my grandparents were watching me and that’s where they were going ) but religion and specifically Christianity were always around me. My stepmother turned into a bible thumper soon after my brother was born. I was 14. My mother turned super religious while battling alcoholism in my late teens. Also, being a voracious reader, I had read the Bible in my early 20s, just to say I had read it. But in my late 20s I thought I was in Love with a hard-core born-again Christian. for three months I sincerely tried to believe the way she did. It didn’t work out needless to say. I realized how much shame and guilt and low self-esteem are a major part of believing in this stuff. And also the rejection of reason. Also the blind faith in utterly ridiculous notions. I went from agnostic to atheist in my early 30s.

Brought up Catholic and have always struggled with my faith. Finally light bulb moment, its because I don't believe. I did not turn into a pillar of salt or had lightening strike me. I felf free; sort of what it must feel like a gay person coming out of the closet. I'm looking for a group that may believe in a higher power, but not all the "stories."

My mother and father by the act of procreation.

For me it was knowledge in biology and social theory that led me to the path of secular humanism. I enjoyed some of the life lessons I learned from Scripture as a Luthetan but was turned off by the absolutism of an arbitrary Creator that reflected the extreme ego of humanity to have a permanent life with only one ruler. I did not want to be restricted to that black and white faith-driven way of thinking, and many elements of the Old Testament merely seemed like rules from a bygone age, especially concerning sacrificial rituals and fastings.

There is also a power struggle by religions to gain followers and ignore the will of individuals. The increasing Christian radicalism and selfish interference in developing countries disgusts me tremendously, but it is the fundamentalist Christian blacklisting of scientific fact that has completely derailed my confidence in the Church. One doesn't need to have religion in order to have a moral compass, and I feel I learned all the lessons from experience and Scripture that are both relevant and meaningful.

If god is real, god sucks. You're a cutie.

Since I was a child I was skeptical

Since I was a child I was skeptical

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.