Agnostic.com

33 3

I'm still not convinced climate change is a problem. Can you convince me otherwise?

I'll admit it. In my past religious life, I did not believe in the climate change crisis. I'm open to the idea now but I'm still skeptical.

It's not that I don't believe in global warming. All I have to do is look out the window to confirm that. What I struggle with is the idea of certain catastrophy due to human causes. From what I understand at the moment, rising temperatures are not necessarily going to keep rising indefinitely and so far it's not a bad thing because it opens up more land worldwide to the production of food.

Please feel free to post evidence for why you believe we're heading for catastrophy or other conclusions about climate change. Insults will be ignored.

Edited to add: Thanks for all the great links, everyone. I'm working my way through them. Feel free to add but I think I've said all I can at the moment. I'll just be looking through everything for a while.

UpsideDownAgain 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who benefits the most from preventing action against climate change? For example, electric cars and trucks, e.g., Tesla, put less CO2 into the air than gas and diesel vehicles. The biggest corporations pump and sell oil, and the automotive industry is huge. The world burns a cubic mile of oil a year. Add coal and the power generation and distribution industries, and you get climate change.

Switching to green energy and electric vehicles will destroy the oil gas and coal industries. Tesla has already forced the automotive industry to start the switch to making EVs, but IMO most auto manufacturers will suffer, and some will fail. Electric vehicles need little maintenance and no oil changes; dealerships make money on service, and little on sales. Auto dealerships will suffer and perhaps vanish.

All of these industries are opposed to the green revolution. With trillions of dollars at stake, they have been fighting for survival, and they fight dirty. They attack scientists and political activists. They publish articles to confuse people.

Yes, climate change is real. It threatens human existence. People are already dying from climate change, the frail from heat and others from extreme weather.

About if opening more land to grow food, the downside is that it also does the complete opposite. A lot of land becomes non arable too.

These "skeptical" links are really bad. Seriously, people need to stop claiming to be "skeptical" when they accept bullshit from unknown/unreliable sources.

Marz Level 7 Feb 16, 2019

Burning fossil fuels & overpopulation... CO2.

Too much CO2. It's is killing off our plants. Plants give us oxygen. Lack of oxygen produces too much CO2, bad for ecosystem, humans, Earth.

Plants take in CO2 and then release oxygen. Dirty smoke stacks polluting the air hurt us and our plants, but plants like plain CO2.

@DenoPenno Too much CO2 can kill plants.

@SleeplessInTexas No. More CO2 in the atmosphere make plants grow more vigorously.

@TheAstroChuck Apparently oxygen levels have been as high as 35% in the past and this enables insects to grow much larger. Imagine dragonflies the size of eagles scary.

@TheAstroChuck foot long centipedes etc. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them

Well they’re going to try get rid of you now ??????
But anyway I don’t deny climate change but I cannot accept that we’re being given something of false narrative that the only resolution is to immediately convert from gas and diesel.

I believe that there’s another answer but it won’t come from us or Europe because we’re all about profit over humanity so the plan is to get us to buy their products and to live in fear of our impending doom.

But like I said I don’t deny it so the new green deal and other possible plans should be considered but to set unattainable deadlines definitely speaks as to the lack of knowledge of what it would take to achieve such a task in so little time.

Who are "they?"

@Meili You know I would tell you but now I just don’t fucking want to

Just wondering do you have any evidence that contradicts the science? Then that could be incorporated into the hypothesis to include a fuller picture. The research may have missed something.

Why is this post in politics?
Seems more like a Science question.

Plus, the question is rather silly. JMHO.

I overlooked the "Academic (e.g. Science)" category since I tend to skim over parenthesis. Changed the topic . . .

I can simplify this for you.

Climate change will never wipe out the Earth or all living things.

There is nothing humans can do that the Earth can not fix on its own.

The timeline of the Earth is extremely long.

What climate change WILL DO is to make the Earth inhospitable for humans.
We will be the ones to die.

I can’t convince you, nor can anyone else on here. Simply read the science. You either believe it or you don’t. However what’s the logic of falsifying the facts here?

Fix climate change we all are healthier.
Ignore climate change big business gets richer.

Seems obvious who’s not telling the truth here. The ones with the money.

Educate yourself. That’s your job not ours. It’s irrelevant to me if you believe in it or not.

Big business gets richer either way . . .

@Meili
And big busi.... Oh hell! I forgot what I was going to type...

[amazon.com]

Perhaps reading this book will convince you...

Gmak Level 7 Feb 15, 2019

Looks interesting. My library has an audio copy so I'll check it out, literally.

All you need to do is watch a few science shows on the subject or read some books on the subject. Do so with an open mind and a sense of humility.

damn, now there are climate change deniers at NASA:

i posted this before. it didn't register or matter then to the truly committed global warming disciples. they are as truly committed as any religious fanatics that ever lived.

NASA says that CO2 is a coolant not a warming gas. One part of NASA is now in conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth’s atmosphere. NASA’s Langley Research Center has collated data proving that “greenhouse gases” actually block up to 95 percent of harmful solar rays from reaching our planet, thus reducing the heating impact of the sun. Carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO) are two substances playing a key role in the energy balance of air above our planet’s surface tending to cool not heat.

World temperatures have been generally declining for about 10 years while CO2 is rising rapidly,” writes famous weatherman Piers Corybyn, who is an astrophysicist.

[coldclimatechange.com]

Now source something from a site that doesn't show it's bias in it's name. There is no dispute between climate scientists except on details as theories are expanded upon and evolved. You will always have the tiny minority, that for whatever reason (often slush money) who will take an opposing view, and by tiny I mean under 2% So, to say there is any question of it being real, manmade and dangerous to our whole planets future, is like arguing the earth is flat

@Savage
NASA Sees Climate Cooling Trend Thanks to Low Sun Activity

[thenewamerican.com]

@callmedubious The sun has a 21 year cycle of sunspot actively and, yes it does cause variations in sun rays hitting Earth. It affects both overall temp and can cause distortions in weather. Remember Katrina, it followed a massive earth directed flare. The awareness group I was running at the time put out posts online, 36 hours before, warning of extremes in weather. But none of this negates the case for man made global warming/climate change. This is a very complex planet and without fully exploring it's details, understanding it's processes is difficult. Those looking for a simple/soundbite answer should leave it to others.
I'm afraid we live in an age now where any loony, corporate interest, religious nuts you name it can set up a site, putting out what they want people to believe, for whatever reason. And the people who will look up a site called coldclimatechange are wanting to believe it's not real.

@TheAstroChuck ,
if they don't agree with you they're crackpot souces.
remember i said at the outset of my 1st post on the subject that i was not a denier or a believer. i try to look at both sides. but i sure as hell will never completely trust any figures or data that govts have any control over. especially if there is the possibility of empire building & more revenues from taxes involved.

@TheAstroChuck ,
OK, i give up.
you're pure & i'm a cynical, disbeliever.
you win.

[pbs.org] this documentary has a minneapolis local meteorologist in it, who is a devout catholic, and didn't believe in climate change either, until he did RESEARCH!

@Meili -- Giving you evidence here is not going to help. All the information/evidence you need is readily available. When you say you're questioning the interpretation of the evidence gathered thus far indicates that you think you know enough about science to make determinations about evidence and its interpretation. If that is true, you know enough about research to get the information for yourself in more abundance from more reliable sources than what is available here. To help you along your way, I suggest you get what information is out there on the issue from NASA, NOAA, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and others, then draw your own informed and considered conclusions.

Them earth has been going through climate change and polarity shift for as long as it has existed. When it was first formed, they best central air unit wouldn't have survived 2 seconds. Polar shift is right there alongside. Ask a scientist. I did, and he took me underground to show me how they can tell what has happened in them past, showing definite cycles.

He just didn't tell me how to defend against autocorrect!!!

I'm pretty sure autocorrect will destroy the world . . .

@Holysocks -- The defense against autocorrection is to pay attention and edit as you go. It's quite simple.

No, because I already read the comments and I think you are an idiot and a troll and I will not waste my time. The points to be gained in a troll thread are not that important to me, I would rather block you, never to cross paths with your ignorance again.

Tell you what. The easiest evidence to gather is that which you get for yourself.
Go buy a house on the coast. East or west, doesn't matter.
North or south, that doesn't matter either.
Buy a house that sits on the beach, or the Intracoastal Waterway (on the east coast). Buy a house on one of the barrier islands in Washington state, or Alaska.

Buy a house at sea level, near the ocean, anywhere.

See how long you get to live in that house.
Do your own research.

You're not likely to be convinced by anyone, despite whatever "evidence" they could present you.
However, I think you'll believe in climate change and rising sea levels, when you're up to your ass in sea water, while standing in your living room.

I'm satisfied with watching that on TV. Haven't seen it yet.

@Meili You make absolutely no sense at all.

Lets start here.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

just a couple of degrees warmer is hard on trees. No trees no air to breathe.
We've tons of trees succumbing to needle blight in SE Michigan . It's very sad.
Trees only have so many sets of leaves to fall back on when they get fooled into thinking it's spring, then get hit with a crippling freeze.

The range of Chagas triatome reduuvae is also spreading north where they're not indigenous. Those fuckers spread heart disease.

Also, climate change doesn't give 2 shits about whether people believe in it or not.
It will affect people in ways they can't put 2 & 2 together like "hmmmm, why are avocados so expensive this year? It's ridiculous!". And they'll go about their merry way in cluelessness.

it's so convenient to connect everything to climate change.
the climate has been changing for 4.6 billion yrs.
global warming causing snow at the lowest elevations ever in hawaii doesn't sound right, but climate change seems to work.

Looks like no one here will convince you so go do your own research. Or just sit by in blissful ignorance until the effects of climate change start impacting your life and your children’s lives. Of course, by then it will be too late but at least you stood true to your ignorance!

Amen!

Oh, wait, I thought we were in church, listening to a sermon, filled with emotional appeal..... My mistake.

Not a sermon, just saying it's not worth bothering with people who are determinedly ignorant.

@jerry99 And it's a classic way of shutting people down that I'm used to hearing in religious settings.

I don't care.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Average annual temperature of NYC is 55.3 degrees Fahrenheit

Average annual temperature of Boston is 51.7 degrees Fahrenheit

NYC, is 3.6 degrees warmer than Boston on average.

According to NASA satellite measurements, the earth is warming at the rate of 0.13 degrees Celsius per decade, or 0.23 degrees Fahrenheit.

[drroyspencer.com]

Divide 3.6 by 0.23 and you learn that Boston is projected to be as warm as NYC in 15.7 decades, or 157 years.

No one knows if temperatures will continue as they are going, but if they do, assuming uniform change, in 157 years Boston will be as warm as NYC is currently. Would that be a sky-falling catastrophe?

Thanks for the info.

What about sea level rise?

I'm listening. What about it?

what about a report put out by the UN in 1989 that major coastal cities would be experiencing flooding by 2019?:

Flashback 1989: UN issues 10-year ‘global warming’ tipping point

Earth ‘Serially Doomed': UN Issues New 15 Year Climate Tipping Point – But UN Issued Tipping Points in 1982 & Another 10-Year Tipping Point in 1989!

[climatedepot.com]

Watch this series and try and tell me the temperatures won't keep rising and that there is nothing to worry about
[bbc.co.uk]

lerlo Level 8 Feb 15, 2019

Okay. Might take me a while.

First of all, notice the temperature of the body... 98.6... just a rise to 100 is an indicator that something is wrong and the body is already suffering. Every degree over that becomes more and more dangerous.

Second: It's not about convincing you. Like all conspiracy theorists, they already know what they want to believe. There is nothing that's going to change their mind. If you have to use the phrase "convince me" in regard to climate change, then I have to assume you're a conspiracy theorist, and therefore, nothing I say is going to matter.

And as to evidence... if you are unaware of any of the evidence that means you're purposefully avoiding evidence because it's everywhere now... from the Weather Channel to documentaries, to your local news. I would turn your last statement around. "Please feel free to post EVIDENCE for why you refuse to accept the science that shows we're headed for catastrophe."

Interesting analogy. I respect that but would say that history suggests it's invalid. Our planet has experienced many different levels of temperature.

Honestly the request to convince me was more of a device to reel people into the conversation. Worked on you. 😉 I am aware of a great deal of the evidence but I struggle with the conclusions people are coming to. Humans tend to latch on to the worst case scenario. Makes for better headlines, I guess.

If I recall you are an antivaxxer so I am not going to waste my time trying to explain to you why climate change is going to cause chaos in the world in a few decades. Do some research, On second thoughts,if your previous research showed you that inoculation against infectious and contagious disease is harmful maybe it's not worthwhile. Just live in ignorance.

@maturin1919 I'm not anti-vax.

@Meili I'm sorry if I am confusing you with someone else or have you changed your stance ?

@Moravian I don't believe I've ever expressed my opinions on vaccination on this site.

@Meili My apologies then. I must be confusing you with someone else who has a profile photo similar to yours. I had a look for the thread and it appears to have been removed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:290156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.