Agnostic.com

33 3

I'm still not convinced climate change is a problem. Can you convince me otherwise?

I'll admit it. In my past religious life, I did not believe in the climate change crisis. I'm open to the idea now but I'm still skeptical.

It's not that I don't believe in global warming. All I have to do is look out the window to confirm that. What I struggle with is the idea of certain catastrophy due to human causes. From what I understand at the moment, rising temperatures are not necessarily going to keep rising indefinitely and so far it's not a bad thing because it opens up more land worldwide to the production of food.

Please feel free to post evidence for why you believe we're heading for catastrophy or other conclusions about climate change. Insults will be ignored.

Edited to add: Thanks for all the great links, everyone. I'm working my way through them. Feel free to add but I think I've said all I can at the moment. I'll just be looking through everything for a while.

UpsideDownAgain 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well they’re going to try get rid of you now ??????
But anyway I don’t deny climate change but I cannot accept that we’re being given something of false narrative that the only resolution is to immediately convert from gas and diesel.

I believe that there’s another answer but it won’t come from us or Europe because we’re all about profit over humanity so the plan is to get us to buy their products and to live in fear of our impending doom.

But like I said I don’t deny it so the new green deal and other possible plans should be considered but to set unattainable deadlines definitely speaks as to the lack of knowledge of what it would take to achieve such a task in so little time.

Who are "they?"

@Meili You know I would tell you but now I just don’t fucking want to

Why is this post in politics?
Seems more like a Science question.

Plus, the question is rather silly. JMHO.

I overlooked the "Academic (e.g. Science)" category since I tend to skim over parenthesis. Changed the topic . . .

[amazon.com]

Perhaps reading this book will convince you...

Gmak Level 7 Feb 15, 2019

Looks interesting. My library has an audio copy so I'll check it out, literally.

Lets start here.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

What about sea level rise?

I'm listening. What about it?

what about a report put out by the UN in 1989 that major coastal cities would be experiencing flooding by 2019?:

Flashback 1989: UN issues 10-year ‘global warming’ tipping point

Earth ‘Serially Doomed': UN Issues New 15 Year Climate Tipping Point – But UN Issued Tipping Points in 1982 & Another 10-Year Tipping Point in 1989!

[climatedepot.com]

Watch this series and try and tell me the temperatures won't keep rising and that there is nothing to worry about
[bbc.co.uk]

lerlo Level 8 Feb 15, 2019

Okay. Might take me a while.

First of all, notice the temperature of the body... 98.6... just a rise to 100 is an indicator that something is wrong and the body is already suffering. Every degree over that becomes more and more dangerous.

Second: It's not about convincing you. Like all conspiracy theorists, they already know what they want to believe. There is nothing that's going to change their mind. If you have to use the phrase "convince me" in regard to climate change, then I have to assume you're a conspiracy theorist, and therefore, nothing I say is going to matter.

And as to evidence... if you are unaware of any of the evidence that means you're purposefully avoiding evidence because it's everywhere now... from the Weather Channel to documentaries, to your local news. I would turn your last statement around. "Please feel free to post EVIDENCE for why you refuse to accept the science that shows we're headed for catastrophe."

Interesting analogy. I respect that but would say that history suggests it's invalid. Our planet has experienced many different levels of temperature.

Honestly the request to convince me was more of a device to reel people into the conversation. Worked on you. 😉 I am aware of a great deal of the evidence but I struggle with the conclusions people are coming to. Humans tend to latch on to the worst case scenario. Makes for better headlines, I guess.

I don’t think you can be convinced. I have read the posts left below, all of them rational and explantory in their reasoning, but your response is just a reiteration that you see and hear the arguments and even know that climate change is happening, but you don’t believe that we are contributing to the cause, or if we are, then we will adapt to the changes. Even if you are right, it would be sensible to pursue the possibility that you may not be and take sensible actions to try to mitigate against climate change, because if you are wrong, and we are right, then it will be too late for all of us.

Eh, you are probably right that I won't be totally convinced. Ever since I gave up my former religion's specific version of the rapture narrative, I've tended to be highly skeptical of fatalistic thinking. Again, this isn't wholly without merit as I've witnessed the human tendency to focus on the negative and predict the worst. Y2K comes to mind. But regardless of my reluctance to accept the worst possibilities, this conversation is beneficial. Though I may never accept the worst case scenarios, I am learning a great deal and considering new perspectives. It might take me a while. It did take me nearly 40 years to get past my religious conditioning. Give me 40 minutes at least....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:290156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.