Agnostic.com

15 4

How to facilitate a close and meaningful relationship with Christian siblings

Since I have become openly Atheist within my family (about 2 yrs ago), my relationship with my two older sisters has weakened. Luckily, my Christian parents barely treat me any different, which I'm extremely thankful for.

I recently had a pretty emotional conversation with my sisters, and even though they are nice people, it is clear they do not respect my beliefs. They believe I'm an Atheist because it is a fad and a cool thing to do, which is extremely belittling to me. I am proud of myself for seeing through the fallacy of Christianity, but often times I feel alone, and definitely do not identify as an Atheist because it is "cool".

I can count on my sisters more than anybody else, but at the same time our relationship has become increasingly strained. Does anyone have advice/experience with this and would like to share?

logan32195 4 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope, no real good advice, I live 3000 miles away from my twin and it works for both of us. She is also a trump fan, makes conversation even more limited. 🙂 I miss the family but from a mental health stand point is it best for me out here in WA State. The one thing I would say, point out you have your beliefs and all you ask is the same respect for yours as you have for theirs. Always use I statements - and do not let them use you statements. ie, "you always do or say . . " My appoach is, "I think or feel . . . . " I avoid the word believe. good luck

You need to put the subject off limits. It's going to be difficult for them, because they're going to want to 'save' you, but you need to put your foot down here. The subject of religion/non-religion needs to be placed out of bounds. Not in the sense of being unable to say "I went to church on Sunday" but in the one of not following that up with "and you should be there too, otherwise you're going to burn in hell."

Do they do anything to facilitate their relationship with you? Things, to succeed, must be done by both sides....

Time ususlaly helps people usually soften rather than harden especially if oyu have had good relationships in the past - very few of us cope well with change especially in well established patterns so maybe you can reconnect with the things that you were always stronger on - maybe playfulness or whatever your family thing was outside the god question.

I just try to ignore there beliefs and hope they ignore my non-beliefs.

Yes, very similar to my family situation. My family has basically shunned me since I told them all of my use of weed and my life as a hindu sage. They are all southern baptists and rather intolerant of differing views. I have learned to get high before arriving for thanksgiving dinner, not breach the subjects unless directly asked, and bring the cranberry salad.

Tell 'em that some Jewish user on here said Christianity is only a fad too. (Seriously; it'll never catch on).

Jnei Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

That's a good one!

Leave all your beliefs behind

I have one brother who is a devout Christian and another who not a believer (I don't know that he really identifies as anything except a contrarian). My goal is to simply not have the discussion and, instead, focus on a relationship filled with love, respect, and support. Occasionally, my SIL will try to pin me down and tell me why I should be raising my kids in the church, but I just tell her that I'm educating them about all major world religions, the pros and cons of each, and letting them figure it out rather than forcing it down their throats. SIL gets offended that I give other religions the same weight as hers, but that is when I remind her that we have different world views and that she is being disrespectful and that isn't going to help our relationship any.

your SIL lives in ignorance and you should be applauded for your efforts.

Your relationship is based on shared experiences, love, and support for each other. There is no rule that states you have to like everything a sibling likes. If the subject of faith is a touchy one then agree to avoid it. Your relationship as sisters is more valuable than a disagreement. Set boundaries and get back to being sisters. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

It's generally pointless to argue about politics or religion with anyone... I'd tell them that you respect them and value your relationships with them. Being an atheist doesn't change the fact that you love and support them. Don't bring it up and politely decline to engage in conversations about it. Good luck!

if you have your own beliefs you don't need 'other ' to validate you and just because you feel belittled doesn't mean you have to be belittled - come on here for validation its a really strong site- People out here in the real world are all the time 'not getting' each others position - find the way to be strong and live with the world how it is and not how you would like it to be . We atheists /agnostics are no more entitled to an easy ride through this mired life than anyone else. First you need time to get strong for yourself and then maybe make accommodations with others.

I avoid the subject. I already came out to them as partially transmale in 2014, so they have enough to process without adding religion.

Besides, my siblings are United Methodists, if they attend church at all, and liberal.I doubt they care one way or the other what anyone believes.

No matter how hard I try certain family members refuse to accept me, but others still do. Have you tried confronting them and asking their issue or correcting their bias/explaining your position in depth? If the first try doesn't work I try again unless it becomes tedious and pointless.

Boundaries. Boundaries. We Shall Not Cross Those Boundaries.

So wise. 🙂

Healthy boundaries are the keys to all successful relationships.

@PhoebeCat Couldn't say any better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.