Agnostic.com

29 4

General Profanity for Non-Believers

Most utterances whether seeing something remarkable (OMG= Oh my god!) o stubbing one's toe by accident (Dammit!) result in a reflexive cursing. Do you feel odd as an Atheist, literally swearing to a god you don't believe in?

Muirann 3 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick (or pogo stick) is one of my favorites. Sweet Lady Gaga! Holy mother of Thor! I say OMG or goddammit or even thank god, as a reflex, but I also sometimes say thank goddess or praise allah (which really raises some eyebrows around here). LOL I gotta be honest, though - I call god's name during sex like nobody's business.

lol

Odin's Beard!

Damonca,
You are hysterical. Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick, Holy mother of Thor.
I have to remember those.
Jim McKernon

It's like saying "shit." You really aren't picturing excrement or asking it to appear. Religious cursing is fun and it offends believers.

It's as effective and meaningful as thoughts and prayers of believers, so I don't feel strange at all.

I don't feel odd at all. I find it rather amusing to use supposedly holy words or names in such a blasphemous way. If nothing else, it's cathartic. Sometimes you just need to yell out a four-letter word.

Well I'm sure you'll agree that the word "fuck" is remarkably adaptive, like in "fucking A", "fucking hot", "fucked up", "for fucks sake" ad infinitum.

SamL Level 7 Nov 5, 2017

I grew up in a non-religious household and my parents were very profane. I can remember, to cover profanity my mother saying, " all Shipyard" for "all shit y'all" or my father saying, in his Louisiana accent, "ah baa damn," meaning, "I'll be damned." Because God was not used in our household, I really don't recall it. But because of black English ( Ebonics, if you will), I heard Got-damn

In my little executive bunch, we swear like troopers, it's de rigeur. "Jesus H. Fucking Christ on a fucking crutch" is about typical, but no one understands it to be anything actually irreligious.

I try to be respectful of those around me and only curse when I do not think anyone will be offended. With that being said, I did utter the words "oh my god" once and my co-worker peaked their head around the corner and asked, "I thought you don't believe in god?" So I quickly amended my words to "Oh my Science!" That got a laugh.

I don’t feel odd about it at all. Sometime I think it’s funny.

CS60 Level 7 Nov 5, 2017

I don't use the phrases ”oh my god" or ”jesus christ,." I do occasionally say, "god damn" in some form. I do use a lot of profanity that doesn't make reference to imaginary beings, as well. Yes, I am uncomfortable using terms referring to bullshit that I don't believe because it just seems nonsensical to do so. In the case of the phrase "god damn" I guess it's too generic to matter or too ingrained for me to eliminate it from my vocabulary. It's also not personal as is "oh MY god" or as specific as "jesus christ."

JimG Level 8 Nov 7, 2017

Nay I was raised in this culture I use the profanity it provided however, mostly I use the f word and the s word in various accompanying adjectives adverbs and compounded forms.

It's just another expletive and when theists say 'God damn it' I don't think they are really asking God to curse someone/something but just using it as an expletive. Now I do feel a little weird saying 'God bless you' when someone sneezes but again I don't think people use it hoping God will bless someone in protecting from illness just that it is etiquette like hold open the door for someone.

I generally don't use religious terms for a host of reasons, but when I reflexively do so, I don't beat myself up about it. Just like silvereyes, I actually enjoy the 'blasphemy' and cursing out a non-existent magical being that so many people put their hopes and dreams in.

Muirann,
I know exactly what you mean. You should see the looks that I get when I hear someone sneeze and I say "make Google bless you".
Jim McKernon

I've of late been borrowing some of author, Larry Niven's literary expletive devices, like Finagle instead of Fuck.

I enjoy heretical cussing a LOT more, now that I am no longer religious. Fuck's been watered down through over use, though. Society really needs a new golden biggie...

Zster Level 8 Nov 12, 2017

I swear plenty, and picked up the general faces and patterns of my family. I don't feel weird saying god dammit, Jesus Christ, etc, but I try really hard not to when I'm with friends who are strong Christian faith. It's about manners, appropriate time and place.

My most used phrase is: Holy shit!

Not really. Reflexes are reflexes, whether verbal or bodily. Personally, I don't like to curse, but it does come out.

I think profanity shoudl be saved for emphasis. If a person uses profanity every other word, it loses meaning.

No.......infact its disrespectful 2 the believers to say gods name in vein so that makes it have sustance bhind goddam....also its like if ua say goddam i can't believe i did that. Saying goddam
Or o god its bcause its so when u don't believe in god and its all bullsbullshit its like saying mpther duxking thats just soooo hars 2 believe that something happened just like god don't exist

Nope, "Godammit!" is one of my most often used expletives.

Blasphemy for the win!!

OMG can be oh my gosh, or some other G. word. How about holy crap? My partner was from Iran. In Farsi holi schamatzatori (I am not sure of the spelling) means how are you. The Holi is pronounced like holy so that became my expletive word. It always pushed her button and she would shake her head but still thought it funny. Maybe one could make up a phrase and repeat it to memory.

I would just as well say 'oh expletive' if it sounded as good. I don't give a good god damn what flavor my cussing is. If i was in england i would learn to cuss like them, they have some fun swears.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.