Agnostic.com

29 4

General Profanity for Non-Believers

Most utterances whether seeing something remarkable (OMG= Oh my god!) o stubbing one's toe by accident (Dammit!) result in a reflexive cursing. Do you feel odd as an Atheist, literally swearing to a god you don't believe in?

Muirann 3 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i started saying "goddammit" after i quit believing and it freaked my ex out.

which brought me secret joy for some reason, if i am honest.

it was always forbidden for me way back in my born again days (don't judge me) -
so when i started saying it, i felt liberated!

i think i like that it FEELS provocative and in your face without actually being so.

one of the first things my youngest grandlittle said when he finally starting talking after 3 years old was JESUS CHRIST! which makes me laugh just to type. he was confident that it wasn't cursing because it's just his name, duh. i explained it could hurt the hearts of some people who believe in jesus and he just couldn't quite grasp that.

it still feels a bit heinous to say JESUS CHRIST as a curse word - even though it represents nothing to me anymore. i was really deep into that born again thing for my late teens / early 20's - lived IN the church... so, i consider this my baggage from that time.

in general, the religious cursing doesn't happen with me so much - because all things FUCK related are my go to choices!

What is profanity? Why are not Drone wedding attack, indefinite detention. presidential kill list, Mutual Assured Distruction, refugee family separation, war profiteering and such profanity but fuck which is slang for sex profanity?

No because iv done it for years.

Nope.

No. In fact, my favorite curse is "Jesus F&ckin' Christ"! Why? Don't know, it's jut fun to say. Saying something like "F*&King Buddha" isn't the same (although I say that just as often).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.