Agnostic.com

16 12

Snowplow drivers need to think about basic physics

Let's review:

1. Snow and ice are frozen water.

2. Snow melts into soil, watering plants and trees.

3. Water runs downhill.

4. When you leave snow-piles on pavement uphill, snow continually melts, runs downhill and refreezes at night, creating a dangerous, icy walkway.

5. Please return to scrape away heavy slush.

For weeks, I have been shoveling heavy snow, ice and slush left on the pavement by thoughtless male dimwits.

Where do I throw heavy shovelfuls of snow and ice? Onto the soil, naturally.

"Don't tell me what to do!" a snowplow driver replied when I asked him push snow onto the grass instead.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

OK, I am a man and I would not do this, I have been married for 28 years and I am still trainable. However, most men have an ego and think they are much smarter than a brick, which for most this is impossible. I cannot believe that you posted this comment as it is just common knowledge and I would think most women would agree what sometimes it is just genetically not within some of us to use our head and think. This works for many other things including politics, Personally I do not believe a man should be able to run for public office unless there are a great great number of women who think he would be better than a woman. OPinion?

This only tells me you need to push for more female drivers.

Rude and hateful people come in all shapes and sizes. Don't one gender for lack of common sense.

I am sure that snow plow drivers have a very focused charter: get snow off the roads and pile it up in such a way and in such places as facilitate doing that as quickly as possible without killing people or their pets. Your fundamental quarrel is with the government operator and its lack of consideration for such safety and environmental knock-on effects and failure to issue appropriate guidelines and procedures and train operators therein and then staff adequately to take the extra time. Your quarrel is best not taken to the driver, who will simply get in trouble for being too slow.

I am sure that female snowplow drivers do exactly the same thing, and may even be worse, as they have to perform twice as well to be thought half as good, and thus are more apt to be in a hurry.

I am not so sure that the underlying policies and management aren't in some way soaked in testosterone, or at least insufficient estrogen, but still, I don't think it's helpful to bring sexism into the conversation.

I have in between my ears a somewhat similar world in which the plows would take a little extra time and care to get close to the curb where they can, and push the snow piles over and past the sidewalk at the end of the street instead of just blocking it. I'd also like the garbage truck crew to actually put the empty garbage can back where they found it on the curb rather than leave it capsized in the street. And for the recycling guys to pick up the stray items they drop on the street when emptying my recycling bin rather than just leave them there.

House-of-ever ... I need to keep my blood pressure down so I picks me battles, so I does.

Maybe the city has a rule always push snow to x because most parts of the city benefit from the simple rule and they don't have faith in drivers discretion to prevent liability issues.

If we really want to understand someone's else job then we should do it long enough to get inside experience. Most of the time this is just not feasible or even possible. Best we can do, give them the benefit of the doubt since likely they know something we don't

If the driver pushes snow off of the pavement and damages private property he or his employer is liable for the damage, and naturally the property owner has visions of expensive landscaping dancing before his eyes. And speaking from experience, after twenty four to thirty hours of continuous plowing (with no coffee in sight), most drivers aren't going to be very open to helpful suggestions.

You must be great entertainment for your neighbors!

@bigpawbullets

I am the only person in the neighborhood who picks up litter, or shovels snow.

@LiterateHiker
Strange inhabitants.

That reminds me of when a neighbor complained about how my garden berm was causing water to enter his basement which was significantly uphill. Another neighbor had a downspout which was releasing water uphill from the basement door, but it was me.

Frozen ground isn't going to soak up much snow melt. Be happy you get plowed streets!! Snow removal around here is "wait and let nature do it."

@sewchick57

I know frozen ground doesn't absorb snow until it warms up. Wait until Spring.

You cannot always plow to suit physics. You cannot always plow onto grass. Plow drivers don't always know what is beneath the snow when they plow. Is there a curb or not? Will their plow scrape out large sections of grass or other plantings where they will be responsible for replanting? Better to play it safe.

They get paid to plow snow usually... Not to return to plow slush... Which doesn't plow well anyway.

I have seen thoughtless female idiot plow drivers too... Don't put it all onto the male's shoulders.

It's called winter! Perhaps think about Miami or Phoenix.

Excellent points. And, who invented the snowplow in the 1st place? Pretty sure it wasn't a woman.

Every Winter, I like to keep count of the mailboxes they take out around town. I've counted 47 since Christmas.

I used to live in a neighborhood that was formerly a "community" ski slope. Someone built a house on the road leading up there, and apparently installed heating devices in his driveway to melt snow. Of course, where was the melt going to go? Down the street a hundred yards before freezing up at a bend in the road. Really dangerous. I think the town took notice because this stopped happening after a couple years.

godef Level 7 Feb 19, 2019

My grampa said, "When you're dealing with an ass, always have a two by four close at hand."

@evidentialist

Dim bulbs.

There is a reason they are snow plow drivers.

@mooredolezal

Morons.

You would not get me out the door at 4am in sub zero.

And for $8 an hour.

Nope.

They do whatever is expedient

@Beowulfsfriend

You're right. Thoughtless assholes.

@irascible

You're right. I am tired of shoveling ice and snow after the snowplow is done. My arms, shoulders and upper back are continually sore.

@LiterateHiker we have up to 8 inches and ice on top coming tomorrow.......? then Thursday 49 degrees.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:293065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.