Agnostic.com

9 2

Why do you still buy lottery tickets knowing the odds are a couple of billion to one?

Eirteacher 7 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dream Tax ... Everything else is taxed .

Gotta be in it to win it! (And people actually do.)

I play once in a while. Somebody wins. It could happen.

The best explanation I ever heard was that it's not automatically about believing you can overcome the astoundingly absurd odds. It's more a matter of spending money on a fantasy and daydreaming about all the wondrous things that are supposed to follow a huge windfall. (Even so, I haven't bought a ticket in years, whether Super Lotto, Powerball, or scratchers, because it still feels a lot like tearing dollar bills into little pieces and letting the winds scatter them). 😛

It's about the same odds that my government will use my tax dollars wisely but, I still pay them.

Duke Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

A small price to pay for the dreams to be had between buying and and getting to know the disappointing results!

Seriously though the odds are usually not a couple of billion to one but depending on country, game and what kind of win you are talking about a few millions to a few dozen millions.

For example with the UK lottery, you have to choose 6 numbers from 1 to 59. The odds to win the jackpot by guessing all 6 right are therefore 1 to 595857565554 divided by 6543*2 which amounts to 1 in 45,057,474.

The Euromillions odds are 1 in 116,531,800 but the odds to win any of the prices are one in 13.

'Cos I'm stupid!

They live in hope.

It's my retirement plan. lol

Good idea. I need to start now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.