Agnostic.com

31 5

Is it possible to be in love with multiple people at once?

I think I allready know the answer but im curious as to everyone's responses

Uberdoode 3 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, its possible. Some folks are hard wired monogamous. Some of us are polyamorous. It is very possible to be in loving, committed relationships with more than 1 person, at the same time, where everyone is in the know and everyone is respectful of the other relationships.

Amen to this!

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I've only known one person who claimed to be polyamorous. It was a woman I used to date. And she said that it's ok for her to love multiple men but they all have to be committed to her only. And that that's just how she is and people need to love her for who she is.

It's not polyamorous unless you're ok with your partners doing it too imo.

Please increase my sample size here. Tell me you're ok with your partners being with other people besides you.

@ksmith86 yeah, that is just abusive. Sorry you had to live that.

@ksmith86 yes, I'm very ok with my partner being with other women, just like he's ok with me being with other men. Doesn't hurt that his wife & I are super close friends & his new gf & I are getting along like gangbusters. He's cool with the other guys i date too, one of which is a very close friend of his.

I am very comfortable with the idea that I cannot be anyone's "end all, be all" & do not want to try. To much investment for too little ROI.

@ksmith86 I told my wife that if she met someone she wanted, to enjoy. I'm serious, but haven't been tested, yet. If it happens, I'll be OK, but don't know how I'll feel.

Of course it is. I love my children and grandchildren, My sister, nieces and nephews. But I don't thing you were referring to family.

There are a few polyamorous people on here who would certainly say it's possible for them

Jnei Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

As my Mother once told me "Love is not a finite thing.".

Yes of course it's possible.

There are very many kinds of love, lust, and infatuation, and all possible combinations are possible.

Loving someone means different things to different people.

Transition from infatuation and/or lust to real love is one place where we humans fuck shit up a lot!

Loving doesn't take anything from you, but is difficult to do well. I don't believe that there are specific numbers for any part of it, but managing feelings for multiple people is challenging.

Love has many layers, or levels. It seems to me that, while one may be 'in love' with more than one person, one cannot be equally committed--at least not in the way I understand the term, commitment. That said, who am I to judge adult behavior, so long as the parties affected are consensual?

Huh Yeah ! 🙂

Why not?

Of course it is. However, it's like juggling chainsaws. Someone is bound to get hurt in the process.

For some people yes, for other people, no.

Of course you can.

Love isn't a finite resource.

Whether it is socially acceptable is a different thing altogether.

Twins?

Twins?

Ahhh...the myth of love again. Nature provides infatuation as a means of assuring the continuation of the species. It is usually observed as "consorting pairs". After a short period of time, one or the other of the subjects in the consorting pair loses interest as sex becomes routine. Sometimes that happens before marriage at which point they no longer consort. It most frequently happens after marriage as evidenced by the 50+% divorce rate and the fact that many who stay together are not happy in the union. To answer the question, it is extremely unusual for there to be more the two in the consorting experience at one time. Marrying Prince Charming and living happily ever after is the biggest myth next to God in our society yet girls seem to live solely for that unlikely eventuality.

Weird question. It's weird to hear people answer no. How do you know unless you experience it? I don't know the answer to the question, but it seems like humans are pretty variable. It might be no for someone and yes for someone else.
Sort of reminds me of people that say that they know being gay is a choice. How do you know? I figure these politicians, that are saying that, are trying to say they are suppressing thier own homosexual desires and cannot understand why others don't. Ok ok, sorry, side note.
Anyway, how can anyone answer no to this question, other than as a personal answer.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

More possible than making Dave chappelle laugh.

Of course you can. Even I can, despite being demisexual.

In 2014, soon after I became aware I'm partially transmale, my male side accidentally "fell in love" (for the first time) with an old high school classmate who was transitioning to female. Yet, I was still bonded to my last spouse, after the 2010 divorce, so I was "in love" with two people. Technically, I wasn't "in love" with my spouse, since only males can fall in love (and masculine trait females), but I was very strongly bonded to two people, of opposite genders.

Or maybe not, because my ex came out as nonbinary female two years later, so maybe my male side was involved with both love cases.

I think it's possible to be infatuated with multiple people and also to deeply love multiple people, but I do not believe deep relationship love can be easily multiplied between partners. Most humans need the security of that one solid love, and to divide it between other deep love interests would make the initial love suffer and become shallow/brittle. In my opinion loving more than one person (like feeling deep intimate love) is not possible unless one or more of those "loves" are in fact shallow or just infatuation. Human nature and needs limit our ability to love more than one partner without one or more relationships losing value.

I nearly answered this as a yes but then realised the 'at once' clause I suppose its still a yes if youre in a like minded group & HAHA I am multiple you could love 9 at once 'theoretically' as I can't call them out to order.

I think the answer depends om your definition of love and your ability to find time to nurture both relationships.

I don't think I could but maybe someone else could.

Being in lust with multiple people at once is pretty easy, haha.

no, you can love more than one, you cvan love more than one child, sibling parent.
You can also love more than one lover,

but being in love is uncommon, and I can't imagine you coudl be "in love" with more than one person at the same time. In my case I have only been "in love" once and though I no longer love her, far from it, I can't find someone who makes me feel that way, though I have loved 2 ladies since.

Yes, I think so.

For me "In Lust" with more than one person yes. "In Love", with more than one person no. The last time my big brain told me that I was in love, I only had eyes for her and no one else. Once she screwed me over and the years went by and I finally got over her, I fall in lust with several people at the same time whenever I see a beautiful woman.

Infatuated maybe. But what I'd call love would eclipse infatuation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.