Agnostic.com

58 8

Are you in favour of a revolution?

I don't think many of us are happy with our current governments, and most seem like myself to see the problem exists in the system itself. No talking bloody coup or anything, but say by a show of hands. who would want to see the political system in their country rebuilt from the ground up? And in what ways?

Whilst I personally am in favour of a benevolent dictator we would probably end up with another democracy. But perhaps a better one. Not allowing people to be in politics for more than 10 years in their lifetime sounds a good start. Any thoughts?

Rugglesby 8 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think everyone that works should take a day off work in protest of our government! Or maybe someone has a better idea, but people need to realize that our problems with healthcare, taxes, energy and the environment, wages, will not solve themselves without our intervention.

Agreed, need to make it known we are not happy.

I like the idea of a ten year lifetime limite. Here in America we have "career" polititians that vote themselves outlandish raises and perk packages and cut funding to the very people in need that help pay their wages. We need reform here, bad. We are the laughing stock of the world with Trump in office and his idiocencrecies.

Sadly we are in no position to laugh at anyone, our last leader wanted to be a suppository,
we have a new leader at present, but they are merely glove puppets. They have the same puppeteer, who just happens to be the richest woman in the world. Hence our government still pushing use of coal when even our electricity producers and major banks are saying, "NO!".

@Rugglesby Ours wants to be President for life! Meanwhile we the people can't wait to get rid of him! We may be officially a democratic republic but quite frankly we are in reality an oligarchy.

Only in thinking and changing the political system that favors corruption. We have a democratic system that has turned into a greedy capitalist system with little or no checks and balances.If this goes too far and we have two different classes and no real democratic voice for the common women/man, I can see it turning into class warfare. Luckily, I don't think I will be alive by then.

The trend is certainly more poor and few incredibly rich. Such has been the cause of many civilisation collapses.

The government in the U.S. needs fixing, apathy has given us trump. Behind that is the moral corruption of big money buying elected officials. It will need to be a revolution of morality - without a good moral compass everthing is just chaos - look at the WH.

Forgive an outsider, but Trump may just be the head of the boil. The infection may have been there already. Though I have to admit, I don't know much about US politics, on a global stage I was impressed with Obama. Made outs look so childish, whereas Trump makes them seem average.

@Rugglesby Actually that is what I was trying to say, the image of trump being the head of the boil is EXecllent. lol

If we can curtail the Banksters and disrupt their influence and power over the people in the planet we could easily open the way toward a Roddenberry style life of purpose. With science and mutal respect for our fellow human beings being at the forefront of our society. Who knows? We may even may even realize the dream of Star Trek. I know personally I would love to live a Star Trek life on board a USS Enterprise with a Captain like Picard or Janeway!

Read 'Ten Days That Shook The World' by John Reade

if revolution means to shred the old system into compostable bits & build on the humus of this something akin to the sovereignty of the poeple, then, yes, i am all for it. if, on the other hand, it just allows another man or woman with delusions of grandeur to dictate every liberty out of & away from the people, then i won't have it.

politics - as an honour office - should be practised on an unsalaried basis, with essential expenses covered & not much more. anything else will rather sooner than later corrupt any system. the ultimate vote is with the people, who decide within small communities, grassroots-style.

yes, a true democracy where we decide issues ourselves and not HAVE to be represented by people who do not represent us, if that makes any sense. But with technology it is all possible. Hell, we have been doing it in computer games for years, online simulations of nations where you can vote and decide policy daily. Once things settle, there would't need to be lots of decisions that involve all of us, only those affected. As you say, smaller communities.

@Rugglesby, i'll be damned if i don't remember the name of the group that formed here in the byron shire around 10 years ago. they were all about 'sovereignty of the people', with some experts actually creating an extensive website on which people could, after a topic had its proper chance of being discussed into oblivion (just kidding), vote for whichever topic it was that concerned the community. we even had an older guy coming up with proof that australia actually does not have a legitimate constitution as such. then i moved to wa. can't recall the name....

There is very little that I have ever heard of that was at all revolutionary in the sense anyone generally means it. I would say that major changes are necessary, desirable and possible. Possible only in the abstract. As a whole, I would say we are unfit to do these things. That those that might try actually have little else to do is also evident. I retain some hope, despite my better judgment. As I say, nothing better to do...

Revolution = Love: R U on it?

We don’t need a revolution in America as much as we need revolutionary changes. We need government funded political campaigns and an end to corporate personhood. All trickle-down policies need to be removed. We need to repeal and replace the most recent tax scam...and get single payer health care. And zero out student debt, or at least zero out interest on student loans.

Be carefuil in what you ask for as many have found out after receiving their request. I like our government but wish that they could work more closely and compromise like they did in the past. The extremes of both parties do no good.

A revolution at the polls would be fantastic.

It doesn't matter because its coming

I am in favour of becoming a republic

as opposed to a Fascist Plutocracy?

@Reignmond plutocracy is deplorable

@Babyseal
Fascism is no good either.

So you would be in favor of ending universal suffrage?

It would depend on who would win.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

A 10-year limit for politicians? Interesting.

To be honest, I think the best we're ever gonna get is what we have now. Sure, there are loopholes (e.g. corporations as people or corporate donations in politics, etc.) and back-door shenanigans (e.g. tribalism protecting their own, gerrymandering, etc). But if any one goes too crazy, there's always someone who will call them out.

I think the checks and balances we have now is working - albeit very slowly and/or is not very obvious.

Is that too optimistic a view? Am I being too optimistic thinking the Adani Coal Mine will not go ahead and that other sources of income will be found for those that want the mine for the jobs it offers? Am I being too optimistic to expect actual indictments of current and ex White House administrations?

I can't see any possibility of those happening without the current checks and balances that we have now.

Certainly not. Revolutions are messy and unpredictable. Revolutions generally are the longest and most destructive road back to the status quo.

It's nice to imagine that you could have some sort of bloodless reconstruction where nobody is going to get upset and want to splinter off into a whole new country, or start looting the Best Buy, but that's unrealistic. The Nation of Islam, for one, has spent the last 50 years with the stated goal of splitting off to form a nation within a nation specifically for blacks. The Alt-Right sympathizers want a nation specifically for whites. There's two opposed forces that would turn any revolution violent very soon.

I would like to see the criminal codes revised along the lines of the Code Hubbard (see Robert Anton Wilson's Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy), where "morals crimes" like drug crimes and prostitution, etc., are redefined as "crimes against convention" and are only prosecuted after 100 complaints from the "offender's" neighbors- the result most often being that the neighbors are instructed to mind their own damn business- "property crimes" in which the criminal is made to repay the damages, and if unable to pay is put to work on some socially useful project, with a percent of their pay going to repay their victim for the loss- and finally "crimes of violence" which are the only ones which result in prison time, accompanied by psychological treatment to try and correct the cause of the violent impulses. Idealistic? Yes. But it would certainly cut down on what we spend on prisons and allow us to pump money into community policing instead, as well as community mental health and jobs programs. No drug crimes means no drug violence (at least a huge reduction). More jobs and better jobs would very probably reduce property crimes as well.

As to your overall point- as flawed as our current system might be, I believe I'm correctly quoting (or at least paraphrasing) Churchill when he said, "Democracy is the absolute worst form of government, except for all the rest."

Do you want a revolution in Australia?? If yes then why are you asking us?

The question is open, to anyone regarding their own country. Getting a feel as to how disenchanted people are and how far they are being pushed.

@Rugglesby Here we are doing just fine. How do I measure it? We have jobs and money in our pockets. We go to the grocery store and shelfs are filled up with brands and options. Prices are the same as the day before. Opportunities keep getting better. I was laid off last year and didn't have much trouble to find a better job. Those are the things that matter. Who wants a revolution when the economy is moving and one can make ends meet when willing to put hard work to earn it? Now, is there a lot of noise because of politics? Sure. That doesn't mean things are at the brink of anything. There are other countries with way worse conditions and people with nothing to lose and still no revolution......

@IamNobody It actually sounds quite good where you are. I consider myself fortunate and in the luckiest 1% of people on the planet. However I work with homeless and disabled people, the organisation I work for is not Government funded and can only afford a few staff part time, we survive because we have over 250 active volunteers. I work for minimal income by choice I admit that, and I live quite well, yet the people we assist have fallen through the cracks and our Government is persecuting them rather than helping them. I read what our Government does each day and shake my head in disbelief.

@Rugglesby we could expand this conversation to even more controversial points of view. Suffice to say, every country have different and unique conditions and yet, it's the citizen responsibility to find ways to grow and get better, as opposed to waiting on the government to fix everything for them. Again, we could write a book here and that's not the purpose of this forum. If we all do the best we can then our community (therefore our country) becomes a better place.

I think that trying out limits and limitations on donation on spending for an election would allow a more leaders to be elected that otherwise would not be qualified to run based on their merit and prevent some of the problem we that happens when leaders win because of lobbyist and unethical gotten money. Benevolent dictator is from the mind of Douglas Adams, and is only great fiction.

Don't forget the mind of Sir Terry Pratchett as well. Although technically his Patrician of the City of Ankh-Morpork was only a Nearly-benevolent Dictator, but in effect it was the same thing, and he worked out better than any other ruler before him.
The trick was that he actually was selfless, loved the city and sacrificed every waking moment to keeping it running. You won't find that in a real person, unfortunately.

Why do you think there would be a benevolent dictator? Too many people want different things and even if the dictator weren't self serving the people that support are likely to be. Revolution only changes one faulty regime with another. You have to decide what type of society you want. See Plato's Republic. If you want democracy you can't complain when your guy doesn't get in. I always find that absurd behaviour

Benevolent dictator is wishful thinking I know. In my country there is no difference between political parties, so it matters little who wins the elections. I have learned to live my life mostly outside their sphere of influence on a daily basis, but sadly they impact heavily on things like my internet access and the destruction of the environment. I do get weekly reminders of how much they hate me. Just this week I have been notified that my taxes have been audited yet again, some how I manage to be audited at least annually, up to 3 times a year and every time I get a nice letter thanking me for complying with the laws and paying my proper taxes. A back handed way of reminding me I am noticed.

@Rugglesby Quite agree. As someone said, can't remember who, "Left wing, right wing, same bird!"

Term limits would be a great start. Any elected official, including judges, etc.

Yes & No.

Yes, we need a rational government that also punishes officials for corruption.

No, if we had one, our irrational society would be looking to change it back.

As long as it turns out to be the last one ever.

Ancient Chinese curse " May you live in interesting times " . Yes most are unhappy with our current system but more disgruntled than revolutionary. What would you replace it with? The chances of getting a consensus on that would be astronomical. Most revolutions end up with a far worse govt than before.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29717
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.