Agnostic.com

23 1

Toilet seat etiquette.

If you live in a household that has at least one adult female and at least one adult male, what is the default position for the toilet seat/lid? What is the default position for the toilet paper roll - over the top, or from underneath? Who makes the rules, and how is that determined?

MikeEC 7 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Toilet seats are made with lids because you're supposed to put them DOWN.
I've got both small humans trained. Lid down, flush, wash your hands, turn off the light.
Toilet paper over. Always.

Indeed, lid down every time...most hygienic practice it is too.

@BobMcDowell That is exactly right. Especially if you keep your toothbrush anywhere near the commode (like in the same room), and don't want to boil it every time before you brush your teeth.

@Wafflestomp The hinge is there to lift it for use.

The seat ought to be down, regardless of a adult female in the house, it just looks more aesthetic. The toilet paper depends on whether there are cats in the house or not;. Whereas I prefer mine over the top, so do the cats, and they will unroll it all on the floor; setting it under will prevent this. No rules, just be adults about it. Edit: OK, I guess that is a rule. But it applies to everything.

godef Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

One etiquette only. Watch where you sit.

Anyone that says differently is admitting they don't take responsibility for their own actions.

Reminds me of the daughter of a woman I dated once. She was about 4 or 5, and she backed up to sit on the toilet without looking, and of course, it was up. I've never seen a little girl so pissed.

As I have lived with pets almost my whole life, my habit is to lower the seat AND lid after every use, to keep the little furballs from attempting to drink out of the toilet.

I know that there is a law for public places - there must be a bidet. But at home we all use it because it is convenient and obligatory. When I was a history major in archaeology, we were told that people in Europe were dirty. But now only in Italy I saw a bidet in homes and nowhere else in other countries does anyone put one in their home. It's strange. We bought at zabranio.com after reviewing the products, there are even described cases where you can combine a toilet with a bidet with a built-in faucet. I think this is a guarantee of the health of women and men.

In jail or prison you haven't any choice. lol

After a couple of years working in a hotel starting off with housekeeping in my younger days, I must have the toilet paper going over , and will change any rolls I see that are under. lol. It took a few years to stop making the toilet paper ends into a pretty triangle. Thankgoodness I got over having to do that! haha.
In regards to the toilet seat I like it down, but I am not fussed if someone leaves it up.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

@MrLizard We cannot be friends! 😉 hehe. Just kidding, we can be friends but when I come over I will change your toilet rolls.

Any proper risk analysis shows that the toilet seat must always be down as anybody who has ever had explosive diarrhea knows. When you go dashing for the toilet any delay however minute can lead to a highly unpleasant outcome and this circumstance can affect both men and women. The thing is still usable even for a man having a leak with the seat down, it's not like more than 50% ends up in the bowl anyway.
As for paper, present will suffice, though on the holder rather than balanced on the cistern is good and sitting on the floor is better than nothing.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

I'm adaptable. It's not worth the stress to worry/argue about.

There is only one correct answer to this. Seat down, lid down, paper over. (Unless you have a cat, then paper under. Lol

Toilet seat needs to be down and the toilet paper is over the top. Nobody made the rules in my house. Just a law of nature.

In my house, toilet lid down when not in use and paper over. I do the same when I visit other houses.

Can we order pizza now?

I don't care who or what you are, look before you sit. Is it that hard to have some spacial awareness?

I understand the need for it being down due to what is demonstrable when you flush. I also understand the need for immediate relief. So this is a personal preference as is the need for which way the paper rolls.

You could argue over this for days or do something useful with that time.

The lid should be down when flushed. This way, anyone who uses it has the same responsibility to close it; and, as Ignostic_Skeptic pointed out, we don't need to aerosolize our waste.

I believe the seat should be down but I have dunked my ass before

I say, "whoever puts the roll on, gets to choose the direction." And I keep hearing about how independent women are, so surely they can check to see that the seat is down. Of if worse comes to worse, put everything down, that way everybody has to do some work before they go.

Takes as much energy to put it down as lift it so who cares how it's left

The rule is seat down. Lid can be up or down. I prefer paper over but my spouse prefers it down. That has never been important enough to have a disagreement over though!

Lid and seat down. Even when I'm home alone for more than a week, like today.

We are "under rollers" when it comes to TP. It's a key point of our compatibility.

May I add toilet seat covers in public rest rooms can be used! I find it annoying that if your pristine little ass can't make contact with the unsanitary toilet seat , it makes you a disgusting freak to piss all over it and the floor as well.

Seat and lid down.

We are all adults, put the seat in the position you want it in. If its dirty, clean while you're at it.

Paper rolls from the top. Please see patent diagrams for confirmation of same. (Some dispensers are made for under though. If you use top dispensing position in these types of dispensers, the paper comes off in single sheets & tatters.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29811
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.