Agnostic.com

36 4

Because everyone here is awesome, I assume we all love dogs. What are your favorite breeds?
I love German Shepherds, husky, retrievers, pits, and big happy mutts of all kinds. ..
I think the most beautiful puppy I ever saw was half German Shepherd half husky. So fucking beautiful!

obtusethevague1 7 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not really a dog person, but I was once in love with a half chow half German shepherd.

I love animals. When I retire I plan to do volunteer work for the humane society.

There are some beautiful GSD mixes in the world. Although I'm very much a purebred fan there are some that are so messed up I'd rather have a cross and GSD would be one.

I'm a doberman person, not as hardcore as some out there comparatively but enough to where I'm ruined on them, much as I'd love a healthier longer lived breed.
Other than that I love sighthounds, especially borzoi.

I love dogs and cats. Always have.

I love a good mutt - some of the smartest dogs I've known were mutts.

My dog was a Corgi/Lab mix (according to the vet) and quite a lot of fun.

I love my niece's German Shepherd. The Yellow Lab I grew up with (a friend's dog). The neighbor's collie. etc....

I'm not fond of tiny anxious dogs. They don't seem dog like to me?

Well, no I do not love dogs at all, I rather dislike dogs and to be honest I find it often quite annoying how many dog owners do not respect that there are people who dislike dogs or may be scared of them. I do not want to have to deal with dogs running towards me, barking or sniffing or bumping their noses against me. I do not want to have to listen to the endless barking of some neighbour's dog, an utterly unpleasant and annoying kind of noise. I even less want dogs to get near little children, something I had always to be afraid of when my kids were little. I also dislike very much the smell that many dogs have and leave behind in cars or places where they have been. It is a very strong and rather unpleasant smell. There should be no place for dogs in restaurants or shops, ever. And I dislike the other things that dogs unfortunately leave behind on pavements, streets or in the grass and those smell even worse.
And I have not even started to talk about the people and especially children which are getting bitten by dogs and often disfigured for life, because dogs have the habit to bite at the face if they can.
Let alone the environmental impact that hundreds of millions of dogs have: the food necessary for them could be used in better ways, and the production of all that dog food requires land and natural resources. In some countries stray dogs have become a real pest and danger.
But the most annoying aspect related to dogs is really the misanthropic attitude of many owners who put their dogs at the same level as humans, and some even above them. I find that rather weird and sometimes rather disgusting as well.

LOL .... wow.
Some valid points in there but geez. There are a lot of annoying idiotic dog owners out there for sure, as there are bad apples in any group.
And kids should never be left unsupervised with any dog and should be taught basic rules when around them. I think Turidd Rugass "On talking terms with dogs, calming signals" should be taught in every school regardless of pet ownership status. It would cut down on so many horrific injuries. Dog bites are mostly human error, with the exception of just bad dogs, and they're out there. Some are just wired wrong and either need not exist or belong in the hands of accomplished dog handlers, not the every day joe public.

@PeppermintDreads I think it's good to know these things about people. People who can't nurture another living creature successfully are no one, IME, I'd trust to take care of me in the event of an illness etc. It's all about them. Princesses one and all. I don't have time for people like that in my inner circle.

@Qualia pretty preposterous to suggest that the victims are to blame for getting bitten because it was their mistake. This just reinforces my impression of how egoistic and irresponsible some dog owners act: clearly it is their responsibility and their responsibility alone to make sure their dog cannot bite anyone and especially not any child: keep the dog away, and have the dog wear a muzzle, I do not care. It is the dog owner who puts others in danger and distress, and should not be the victims job to be constantly on the watch out for dogs.

@josmi6699 Surely you've seen photos all over the internet of children being allowed to ride, hug, pull the tails of dogs while clueless parents think nothing of it until the dog reacts with a bite, which unless a hair trigger temperament is the last resort and normally many warning signs before hand that the dog is making its boundaries known.
THAT is the parents fault.

I don't for a hot minute excuse idiot owners who allow their dogs to molest people or not pick up after them. I have the same feelings about random waste left by feral cats. People need to be responsible for their animals.

@josmi6699 Furthermore when we've company or strangers in the house to do work my dogs are crated, mostly for the dog's safety, that is unless I know the person is familiar with my dogs.

@Qualia Sure, I am not talking about situations where the children are known to the dog, the parents of those children are ok with their children playing with the dog etc. In such a situation, clearly it is the responsibility of the parent to instruct the child and to make a judgement about safety.
I am talking about the countless situations where e.g. I was walking in the park with my kids, and suddenly there would be some dog running towards my daughters, no muzzle, no lead, nothing. Some of these dogs bigger than my child. Only to have some idiot dog owner tell me "he doesn't bite". Well, no, I am not taking your word for that I even if it is true, I also do not like that dog to push over my child or lick her face or whatever dogs do.
I am not saying that there are not many responsible dog owners who respect that some people like me just do not want to get affected by dogs. But at least where I have been, many dog owners, sometimes an apparent majority, are responsible like that at all: they see their dogs as members of the family, treat them like family members and expect everyone else to treat them that way as well, which is absurd and, as I said, irresponsible.

@josmi6699 Those people are wrong and rude and putting their dogs at risk allowing them to take off to go greet people and young children in particular. In the US that could get a dog shot. Leash laws are in favor of the humans in this country.

In any case my dogs are family members to us but I don't impose them on anyone else. The only exception being if someone happens by unannounced.

Any dog. Every breed has a rescue organization. My all-time favorite is a rescued Pit/Shepherd mix. Her Royal Cuteness has no peer.

I wonder if those of you saying you like pits realize they are by far the number one Gripper, Mauler, Killer canine on the planet and it has zero to do with how you raise them. It's all about genetics. About 48% of those murdered by their "lick you to death" "raised right" mutants were their owners. They killed 13,000 dogs last year, 10,000 cats, 5,000 livestock and a human about every 16 days...and that's just the reported cases. Nope. Don't ever want to be near one unarmed ever again. Bred for bloodsport. Mutant UnDogs. Should be eradicated. They were basically non-existent until the 80's. They refuse to release without lethal force, unlike any normal dog that will bite and release. Too stupid to release even if they are getting their ASS kicked. See "pit bull mauling horse" or "killer pitbull almost rips cops arms off and is shot" on YouTube. No sense of self preservation, just kill or die trying. No normal dog and certainly no good dog wants to kill other dogs, livestock or people for sport. Dogsbite.org, animals24-7.org or just put "pit bull" in your personalized Google news feed for up to the minute pit carnage. With over 300+ non-lethal breeds to choose from, you advocates show us plainly, you don't care one bit about our normal, good dogs. Sure there may be some good ones, but until you can come up with a fool-proof method of identifying the ones that won't snap and go pit, they need to be considered the dangerous, "Bred to take down a Bull in a Pit" monsters that they are.

I love dogs. We may have a preference for size, aspect or color but I think sometimes the most important is the relationship we get to them.

Im awesome too - just scared of dogs. was bitten by three of them none of them were facing me sneaky !

Hmmm I am an expostman. The world would be better without most dogs and irresponsible owners

I like many dog breeds, and some-not so much. I think there should be more responsibility in breeding dogs, since some breeds with flattened faces have trouble breathing, ones with very short legs have trouble walking, some have heads that are too big, and so on. Some breeds can be dangerously aggressive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.