Agnostic.com

13 2

Today I have heard the word "amazing" used at least ten times about the most mundane things such as food, shoes, etc. Now if these things levitated, that to me, would qualify as truly amazing. It just seems like an over used adjective. Thoughts?

erixon 6 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This has irritated me for so long. In fact, there are other remarks that escape me at the moment, that people will sometimes use to elevate the mundane!

Amazing!

I would suggest that you smoke more weed. Then you will find the word much less bothersome and many more things equally amazing.

Advertising and marketing have corrupted words until they are essentially meaningless. Amazing, awesome, beyond ultimate (which isn't even possible) now mean "meh".

Another overused word, since a sheriff used it repeatedly during a kidnapping case about a decade ago, is "clearly."

I cringed every time the sheriff used it, but, to my horror, everyone else started copying him until that became the word of choice, and I keep hearing even now.

It's amazing they can't think of another word-clearly, people like to use popular buzz words.

I agree. We should use the word awesome instead.

That's because people feel it's necessary to over exaggerate how great something is. I personally feel that when people over emphasize on a regular basis you end up losing a sense of quality. When everything is "great" or "amazing" then what is true quality? There is nothing of poor quality when it's all considered to be the best.

Language is the Play-Doh of the masses--and there's no teacher at this preschool.
Some of us are going to eat it and rub it in our hair and there's no one in charge to say we can't.

I used to get huffy about what I thought were "abuses" of language. Then I listened to some TED talks about lexicography that opened my eyes to the plasticity of language and meaning.

Now I watch MTV so I can keep abreast of what the kids are saying these days. And I'm less stressed about it.

Now, when it comes to writing, I'm a Strunkian fussbudget and proud of it--but that's a different topic for another day...

I have a friend who hates the word "amazing" because he thinks it's misused and overused. I've never had such a strong opinion about it, but hyperbole doesn't really bother me much.

Unpresident trump uses "amazing" a lot so it is no longer of the same value anymore.

@erixon it is called depreciation by misuse and abuse.

Oh ... God help me, I'm the first one here ... I found your post simply, and incredibly, amazing!

😉

Wow, your post is just AMAZING!.
I am up for the levitation, that would work for me.
I can see what you mean though, and like you say, seriously mundane.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30196
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.