Agnostic.com

37 3

How much should teachers make?

I recently overhead a conversation about how school teachers don't make enough money. I've heard countless conversations making a similar claim. What I've never heard is someone stating just how much a teacher should make. I'm curious, what salary do you think is enough?

ScubaWags 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should try teaching first, then we can talk salary.

The answer to the OP's question is very simple economics 101... whatever the market will bear. If you produce a product of low value, than compensation will reflect accordingly.

The deeper question that should be addressed is, why do our societies and cultures find so little value in education? The multitude of answers to that question could fill many threads. For an example of the economics of this situation look no further than an educational institution's athletics program. They rarely run into funding issues, and in fact usually help keep other departments afloat with their excesses. Once again that is market forces at work showing where our values lie. In my opinion, until our values change on this issue I expect that teachers will always be "underpaid".

$70,000 per year on average. They should certainly make more than politicians.

There are too many factors involved to give just one number. Regardless, we live in a time where education itself is considered the enemy by many an imbecile. That in itself speaks volumes of how we need teachers more than ever.

With the shit taught in schools? That might be more a symptom of the system and core curriculum and not teachers, but even if we ignore that, the U.S. doesn't have a great school system. We rank something like 27th in the world. This question needs to consider too many components to give a general answer to the question. Kids seem to be taught how to pass tests and nothing else. I remember a post from yesterday that said they are thinking about dropping a failing grade to 39. They seem to want to artificially climb the world rankings by making the grading easier and not actually teaching these kids. They are taught to be good consumers and good workers and not necessarily thinkers. What do we base the quality of the system on? How many teachers actually teach and actually give a crap? Those are just a couple of the many components that I think the U.S. needs to look at and evaluate before this question can be answered with quality.

I'm puzzled then, at why these folks go into teaching. Here in Ohio, teachers are paid from property taxes. And their salaries are a matter of public record. So it should be no shock to anyone thinking of becoming a teacher as to what they are going to be paid.

Teachers should be like rockstars, they're responsible for our future, we need show appreciation

Teachers should make as much as they can. How much should a brick layer make?

At least as much as a professional basketball player..

It depends on where they live and the standard of living in their area. It also depends on their educational level and their time in service and their academic ratings. Unfortunately, education is falling short everywhere because the old system of funding did not take exponential population growth into consideration. My late partner was a master educator at the public elementary level. She got her masters and made a decent salary but it did not compare to other fields at her skill and education level. However, there were also perks (vacation, health care, retirement, job satisfaction) which also have a huge value.

Similar to other professionals with that same amount of education.

MsAl Level 8 Mar 6, 2019

They should be paid enough to attract highly skilled workers to that job

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:302636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.