Agnostic.com

9 3

Spell and Grammar Checking Experiences

After running your spell check, do you visually check your document or communication yourself? I try to remember to do so because of an experience I had long ago. I was reading resumes of job applicants, and one of them in her letter stated that she had not used any suck days in two years.

The free version of Grammarly is pretty good with punctuation and spelling but does not catch homonyms. Have you had any embarrassing or funny experiences with your word-processed communications or from others?

MikeEC 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use grammarly and try because im dyslexic.

Yes I check! Grammar is so important! I hate errors.

Just look at the difference one little comma can make:

Let's see, grandma.

Takes on a different meaning without the comma:

Let's eat grandma.

@PappyOnWings bahaha

I trust myself more

I just proofread myself. I'm really good at spelling words and double checking messages before they are sent. Or when I post on here. I reread it twice. Sometimes I'll have to edit it. I've had some typos before. Oh well.

Meh ... I really don't care about it. If someone can understand what I say despite my typos and poor grammar then that's all I was shooting for anyway.

yes we are not writing for publication here

@btroje I believe I read that there are over 2,000 members here . Potentially over 2,000 people can read what you write here , although admittedly , it's not a book , being printed on paper , still you have a reasonable audience .

Spell Check is not right about 50% of the time in my experience...and changes words to make me look foolish, or illiterate, or both, too!

I once tried to use it to check through a lengthy article on the history of cycle racing in the Basque Country because it was late and I couldn't be bothered to check it properly. I'm surprised all those Euskadi names, which are usually something along the lines of "Tzrrukkrkxta", didn't make my laptop explode.

I don't use either; however, having read a number of resumes that say things like "In my spare time I enjoy cooking dogs, reading and football" or "long shits are not a problem for me" (I think it was supposed to be "shifts", but who knows?) I'd certainly recommend reading such documents through before sending. We all make misteaks!

Jnei Level 8 Feb 28, 2018

You are wright about that!

I read everything I type before posting it and I still have to edit some post to correct typos and spelling.

One time I was telling my friend I hate spinach lasagna and my phone autocorrected it to espionage lasagna

I have a friend who uses Siri for all her texts and does not check before sending. Rachel is a horse lover and was commenting about a famous thoroughbred and her message read in part "is a great whores."

Espionage lasagna, hmm... tastes good but steals all of your secrets.

that is more interesting

@Silvertongue that might be because I'm from America lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.