Agnostic.com

12 12

What do you do for aerobic exercise?

"You look like you were born to do that," an ultra-fit man said, watching me use the rowing machine today.

I was rhythmically rowing, staying above 32 strokes/minute. Rowing fast is aerobic exercise. It is the best aerobic machine to use when pressed for time.

"Are you talking about my form?" I asked. He was.

I love rowing before lifting weights. Rowing uses all of your muscles and burns 600 calories/hour.

Using the correct form prevents injuries. At 25, I began using a rowing machine. It feels natural. Grew up on on a lake in Michigan with sailboats, a rowboat and a canoe.

Thirty minutes is the longest I have been able to row hard. By 15 minutes of vigorous rowing, my arm muscles are burning. Afterward I lift weights and stretch.

Running is another aerobic exercise I love. It's like flying.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a great machine.

Unity Level 7 Mar 6, 2019

My favorite aerobic exercise is drumming. My friend keeps contesting that yoga and drumming aren’t valid forms of exercise because they aren’t cardio but I’ve lost 100lbs doing practically nothing else before so...

Sadly, I had to get rid of my kit during a move; now that I’m back in a house I desperately need another one. I love swimming too, but generally won’t do it in front of anyone else. So until I build myself a pool that’s out. I think standing up to play most any other instrument gets into aerobic territory too if you’re into it and moving. Takes a lot out of ya but lots of fun. And I’ve been learning to spin a bo staff and nunchaku. I love functional forms of exercise; I find I’ve gotta be getting something done to really feel satisfied. Cleaning, mowing the lawn n doing house repairs push me there often too.

Try CrossFIt. You will like the variety and camaraderie

Mountainbiking. Good for the body, good for the soul.

I too row and have been for 20+ years. A great, great exercise. Avoids the pounding of running so good if you have joint issues, are getting back into shape and so forth.

Someone would have to pay me a lot of money to attend a gym.

@Jolanta

Why do you say that?

@LiterateHiker I don't like exercise, although I am a very active person. Do a lot of walking and cycling but get me to a gym, never. I find it extremely boring, I rather incorporate exercise into my daily life.

Treadmill jog to warm up, stairs machine, elliptical, then a treadmill walk. It’s kept me fairly trim.

I loved my rowing machine when I had it but I think I left it at my parents’. I now run on my treadmill. I dance. I’ve been seen doing chores or just walking around while shimmying. When I can I go to Zumba classes but I find it gets boring after awhile. I would love to try BollyX.

I typically run and dance ballet but a puffy ankle has me hula hooping at present. Running clears my head. I love it.

Squash. Racquetball too but squash is the best workout.

I have a small home-gym setup. It includes a pretty decent "gym quality" elliptical trainer I got for a STEAL of a deal and a small, multi-station machine on which I can work chest and back, and can do triceps extensions. My routine includes 30 minutes on the elliptical at a decent resistance and I try to maintain around 70 RPM.

For over 20 years I walked from 3 to 5 miles day. Today, I just do heavy weightlifting 3 days a week. The heavy weightlifting has doubled my hart strength.

@Bendog deer, deer !

@Bendog As a matter of fact, I had a heart attack and had a pacemaker implanted 13 years ago -- BEFORE I start the weight lifting regimen. As I said, my heart is much healthier today than it was 20 years ago.

I would definitely be rowing on a much much smaller pond. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:304512
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.