Agnostic.com

7 1

LINK Is the world getting better or worse? A look at the numbers | Steven Pinker - YouTube

I think that it is very easy to have a pessimistic view of the world. Why wouldn't we? The news tells us bad things everyday. Plus without realizing it we perpetuate certain "things we heard" that have no basis in fact. We all do it.

I've recently read a book called "Factfulness" that I highly recommend. Everyone I know that has read it has come away with a much more optimistic view of our world.

This Ted Talk is very similar in that takes actual statistics to show us some of our misconceptions.

BeeHappy 9 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been a fan of Steven Pinker since I read his book "How the mind works" years ago. I think he is right to be optimistic rather then pessimistic and I wholeheartedly agree that the The European enlightenment was the greatest intellectual achievement ever.
Overall the population is better off than they were but there have been some losers eg the Aboriginals in Australia and the San people in the Kalahari who have seen their way of life totally destroyed.
As for the future ?, Well that is entirely up to us isn't it.

I usually take statistics to heart, but I do not believe that is the whole picture! I judge how I find the climate of the people around me. If people are having to shield themselves from the suffering happening around the globe, because it leaves them with a kind of worry...how is that making people happier? I am not a believer!

Pinker is probably right about the trend up to now. Things have been getting better over all. But they are about to get a hell of a lot worse. Global warming + feedback loops + ocean acidification + overpopulation = mass extinction.

Regardless of one impression on world view, we have only one life to live. How do we make the most out of it, that is a personal choice. I am not even saying what my personal view is, that's not even relevant.

I've seen this before. he's kind of The Optimists Optimist. probably a Styx fan.

My kind of person! ?

If he doesn't mention things like Fukushima, I would think he's using a somewhat myopic template. Our company's "miracle workers" (efficiency experts)`liked to say, "If it can't be quantified, it can't be measured," which in some respects seems a bit of a tautology.

? Love it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:313476
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.