Agnostic.com

19 6

Is it true that there is always an explanation?

As a man of science, I believe there is never a situation that can’t be quantified in some way. Having said that, I also know that some questions do not always get answered. The religious I believe have a tendency to leave it in the hands of god as the explanation for things they don’t understand. Personally I would rather leave those questions open and do my best to answer them logically.

ChrisJones 6 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think there is always an explanation, however getting at it is another story altogether.

Sometimes the answer is just "that the way it happened!"

Probably but most possibly, not one that I wouldnt understand.

There's a lot that science can't yet fully answer and a few things it can't answer at all. Like you, I think most things can eventually be quantified; there's a long list of former unknowns, after all.

There may be a few things that science can't quantify. I don't know how you can have a full picture of reality if you can't view the closed system of reality from outside somehow, which seems inherently impossible. Besides, human mentation and perception DO have limitations, and it seems logical that even with the aid of instrumentation / technology there must be some upward limit of what we can understand. If nothing else there are sure to be unknowns that won't be resolved in my lifetime.

Nor is this a problem for me. I am mortal, not immortal; I am some-knowing, not all-knowing, etc. So I find it sufficient to live within my true scope.

I'm quite happy that 'I don't know yet' is a legitimate answer. Religion just plonks the divine in the gap instead of leaving the gap to be filled by the answer and then resists the answer when it does immerge. .

Back when the ancient Greeks were on top of the world, they ascribed Lightning to being the result of big daddy Zeus being annoyed at some poor mortal. Now we make it ourselves and bottle it for later. We can measure, record, and understand virtually anything we are able to repeatedly observe. The only things that are going to stay mysteries are the ones that happen before we develop the tools to measure with, and the ones that happen so rarely that our data is extremely limited.

Definitely not ! At present there is no factual explaination for the numerous indisputable sightings of unidentified flying objects. Whose movements defy the normal concept of bodies in motion, as science understands.

Did someone mention the principle of sufficient reason? perks up That's a fun one and I love people's different takes. Some philosophers say that everything is knowable even if we can't discern it (yet). Some say nope! There's stuff that can't be explained ever. And my favorite Hume is like "eh. maybe I dunno." and shrugs it off.

To me it seems the following is a decent inductive argument in favor of the principle of sufficient reason (That everything is knowable in theory)

1. In the past there are things we did not know.
  2. The things we did not know were thought unknowable
  3. Later on tools and programs and principles were conceived to gain knowledge of the aforementioned things.
  4. There are things we do not know now
  5. The things we don't know some find unknowable

It seems that C: Later on tools and programs and principles can be conceived to gain knowledge of these things as well.

(Sorry I philosophy nerded out there for a minute)

Explanation? yes reason? not so much

Explanation? yes reason? not so much

just because we don't know the answer doesnt mean there isnt one

Just to take an opposite view - YES there is ALWAYS an explanation.

But - WE don't always know what it is.

Nothing happens unless a force acts upon it. If that werent true, then the universe would be unchanging.

So, because we see constant change, there are forces creating the change. There are REASONS that EXPLAIN the changes.

So everything has an explanation.

How about, we don't know yet. One day science and technology will be advanced enough to answer that question.

No. There are many basic human reasons we shall not be able to obtain explainations for everything. Not only will we not gain explainations, We will fail to reach the mysteries. Outside of human limitations there are several more reasons such explainations would be incomplete.

No, we're working on it but in the meantime we don't know.

gearl Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

No,
there would be,
but we won't always work them out

No

There can be explanations for anything and everything. Of course, they may, or may not be true.

lol

@Gwendolyn2018 my father used to "tell stories" and I kind of picked up that proclivity. It can be fun.

Absolutely. The answers may not have been discovered yet, but there is always a rational explanation.

JimG Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

My take is, all things have an explanation, but I am ok with not knowing all of them.

Agreed!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.