Agnostic.com

38 2

If you had an unlimited supply of money how would you spend it?

I think I would fund research to cure diseases and afflictions, like cancer, Alzheimer’s, MS, and similar.

ChrisJones 6 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd buy every homeless person a house,set them up with utilities,insurance etc. Buy healthcare coverage for literally everyone. Start a line of quality school/daycare facilities open 24 hours with a sliding scale fee and fund the shit out of climate research and things like world wildlife fund&greenpeace. Then I'd buy an island,move my family and friends there and forget about the rest of the planet.

If it we're truly unlimited, I would set up a trust fund that would provide a stipend to every household living below the poverty level sufficient to raise them above the poverty level. Thereby eliminating poverty in our lifetime.

Yay me!!

Now, what if there were no hypothetical questions?

There’d be no debate.

I've thought about this before. With unlimited supply of money, I would buy up all undeveloped land that is for sale and build nature parks there...winding paths, fruit trees, flower gardens, bee hives, ponds, water features, art, benches to sit and contemplate...maybe a swing or two, a see-saw...you get the picture. I'd employ people who were eco friendly to transform and maintain the properties, and pay them well, with benefits. I might hire someone to manage the logistics of all this while I travel. I love this fantasy!

I would buy my own country

There was an unlimited supply of money, it would be worthless. What gives it value is its scarcity.

Thom Level 3 Mar 6, 2018

Find ways to educate every girl on the planet to as high a standard as we can manage. That would radically reduce poverty, population growth, and general misery.

I wouldn't be able to because it would be worthless.

However if I had sufficient wealth do do what I could, I would pay people to get sterilized.
Begin a global resettlement program, design new settlements along the lines of cultures appropriate to the local environment. Get people working ion a new global language, no national barriers as such, kids could grow up and move to a new region if it was not over populated. Massive cleanup, large wind and solar powered barged scouring the oceans for plastic waste. You get the general idea.

@Rugglesby Education is limiting population growth, and in all likelihood, world population will stabilize below 12B. See Hans Rosling on youtube, "GLobal population growth, box by box" and others.

@EdEarl 12 B is way too high, what would be a fair base line living standard at that number?

@Rugglesby Wow! That is not a question I've previously considered, because "standard of living" means different things to different people. Moreover, when I was young people had a different idea of living well than they do today.

I believe the Earth can easily feed, clothe, shelter, provide good medical care, and sustain happiness for many more than 12B. I think people inflict suffering on others for reasons not related to sustainability. Why are people starving around the world? It is not because the Earth does not have enough food. It is because food owners will trash food if they cannot sell or consume it, and they may reduce production when they cannot sell or consume food.

A book, kind of sci-fi, influences me on sustainability, and vertical farming. The book is "The Millennial Project: Colonizing the Galaxy in Eight Easy Steps" by Marshall T. Savage. In it, Savage describes a swath of floating farm habitats at the equator, that more than double food production and increase living space. Look on youtube for vertical farming. You may be able to find a book on vertical farming, IDK.

I think the Earth could sustain 50B living well, maybe 100B. However, statistics suggest that a well educated population would peek at 12B, and subsequently, slowly, grow smaller. Although, some suggest man will move into space and grow massively. See youtube Isaac Arthur, "Outward Bound" series. AFAIK Arthur has not written a book, but his videos on youtube are popular and informative. Many of his videos have been viewed more than 100,000 times. Another video that may interest you is, "Post-Scarcity Economy."

Enjoy

I'd donate a lot to the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

I'd probbgly only make some relatively modest changes to my lifestyle.

I'd see to it that everyone had decent health care and insurance. And for those that want it (not everyone does), a roof of some sort over their heads. Teachers would get paid so well, everyone would want to be one ! And all stray domestic animals would be neutered, sheltered, and readied for adoption ! Oh, and free pizza for all !

Get out of debt, get my financial life back on track, set aside a few million to use and generate income, give the excess to other slaves so they can attain some sort of freedom. No one needs billions.

Eradicating world poverty...wait the Vatican could do that and the UK royal family

I would immediately begin funding a method, or methods, to clean up our oceans and remove the trash, mostly plastic, from the sea. I would investigate the best way to get people off fossil fuels. And I would do what I can to ensure safe drinking water around the world. I would also try to get people interested in reforesting the places where all the trees have been cut down. These trees are the planet's lungs, and we need them badly.

I love you guys. We all had the same ideas. How cool is that?

Everything. FIRST take care of the homeless and hungry, then get rid of the evil administration since I will have more money than any of them-THEN pay for college for everyone, cure disease and get rid of big pharma and alopathic medicine, make medical care free for everyong THEN I'd indulge my whole family. There are only 9 of us, so that won't take long.

I've always felt that if I had more money than I "needed" (to live, including retire without worries) that I would quit work and distribute the rest to individuals and worthwhile charities. It would be more fun than work, just anonymously going around and easing suffering in the world.

Not working and taking my daughter to see all the museums and parks and zoos I can before they are gone- I want her to have a love for everything 🙂

I would pour money into education. All kinds of education: technical, trade, traditional academic... everywhere around the world.

Basic education to every mother in every poor nation.

The ways in which education could be supported directly and indirectly are immense. The end goal is to spread critical thinking and skepticism and humanist morality to the planet.

Planned Parenthood would be eternally secure in their funding at rate sufficient to bring their mission to the entire world.

@ScottAHurst I'm with you, Planned Parenthood is near to my heart.

If it was unlimited I'd just pay for everything for everyone.

unlimited? I Would buy Congress, feed anyone hungry, house anyone who needed a house, see to it that sick folks got to see a doctor, shut down the coal mines and the oil drilling as best I could, always buy the large popcorn if I go to the movies.

Doing whatever the hell I wanted.
That covers A LOT of ground.

To begin with, if the supply were truly unlimited or infinite then it would be worthless. But, let's just say it's a lot.
Money is like water, it's only valuable when it's flowing. Like irrigation, money must circulate and be distributed throughout the economy to be useful.
Building a dam and creating a lake is useful only for the purpose of controling it's circulation. Simply making the lake bigger without circulating it usefully is only wasteful.
If I had all that money I wouldn't do a few big things, I would do a lot of small things.

I'd buy everything and fix as many of the world's problems as humanly possible... Oh, wait, unlimited money has no value, so I would be broke as hell.

I would buy a congress. Not just a congressman or a senator, the entire Congress.

Well, let's assume that I couldn't use it to buy every country, company and person on the planet and rule as benevolent dictator....

I'd develop my own company, and use it to invest in developing countries by creating workplaces and thus employment. I'd probably also level out every country's budget, making sure that the debt crisis wouldn't get too much worse.

Let's see, what else... I'd probably do some more development work, helping along the agriculture sector of struggling countries.

Create a private army, to be a policing and stabilising force... hopefully not using it for conquest and dictatorship.

I'd pay for everything. I mean everything, everyone's cars, everyone's medical treatment, homes, holidays. I'd fund all proper scientific research, all space programs. I'd buy all the arms manufacturers out. I wouldn't pay for faith though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33102
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.