Agnostic.com

55 5

Is there any way that religion can be proved to be man made?

dinoid 5 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

read Yuval Harari's "Sapiens"

It might be a matter of definition. We can, and have, proven that all religious texts etc. were composed and written by people (coincidentally most of these people were men) and in this sense were man made. Almost all claim that an invisible, undetectable, and immaterial being told them what or about what to write. Pastafarians, on the other hand, admit that they just made it up, hence are the only provably honest religion.

Ummm what's your alternative?

lerlo Level 8 Apr 18, 2019

What proof is there that it's anything else?

How about reason as a means? Name any concept that is NOT of human origin. The proof burden would be then where it belongs; on the part of the propagator.

@Antifred

The making of choices to advance survival and perpetuation didn't begin with us. What proportion of such functions are mental vs. instinctual is almost impossible to determine in species with which we cannot share or exchange ideas. Perhaps it could have been more accurately expressed as thought system instead of concept.

@Antifred They show love and love and life manifest inseparably. It takes human societies to separate and qualify them. Emotion still isn't a system of thought, such as a 'religion'; or as I prefer calling them, theologies.

It's very interesting.

No, I watched the first 17 min but gave up because I think he is going off in the wrong direction.

@cava Ok. Maybe the book? Sometimes the written method has more information.

The fact that there is, nor ever has been, any evidence, facts or data to support the claim of the existence of any god(s), is proof enough that god(s) is a product of man's imagination.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

It's been proved to be man-made, repeatedly.
The believers refuse to accept that.

Religions are organizations. Organizations are created by human beings. Not that complicated.

Everything in religion tells us it is man made. If you study the catholic church history you'll get there.

I don't think natural science can prove it but I'm hopeful that psychology will do it.

The faithfools don't accept science, they don't accept reason, they don't accept modern times, they do not accept the reality...... how would they accept the proof the God is man-made?

A woman in the U.S. just saw Jesus standing in the burning spire of Notre Dame on TV. This is in 2019? The faithfools see Jesus in bread toast. They see Mother Mary crying blood. All this defies logic and reason. You cannot convert the stupid. Stupid is by choice. Once they have made it, they cannot be changed. They must die out.

I worry about the type of people we'll be left with if all the religious die out. I don't think the world has a substitute for them in place yet.

@brentan How so? Most of China and Russia have a lot of people and they look beautiful. Remember, initially there were only Adam and Eve and they got to eat the apple.

Religion is a human practice, which is man made, but religion is not belief nor faith and those who have faith may claim a 'calling' or a demand which they feel, and of which nothing (really) can be said.

cava Level 7 Apr 18, 2019

I don't think so. Common sense to one person isn't the same for all of mankind.

Like whom else is in the race?

Only if you have commons sense.

We can make our own religion. That would prove it.

Religion is man made.

The idea of divinity behind those religions is a lot more troublesome as they often are too far removed from what we know as reality to conclusively disprove.

For example. I believe in 'Dave', a 3-headed giant ostrich like being existing in another dimension who created this universe when he sneezed.

Sure, it is a religion with just one follower. But prove me wrong. 😛

You mean like, maybe religion is force of nature?

Maybe mystical thinking is a phase a species or a culture goes through in the same way that it's one that a child goes through. Do you remember what it was like to see the world as a very young child? Everything's Magic. And it has to be you're not capable of understanding it in any higher way until you learn your way through it. Maybe our species has to do the same thing, and we're just the older kids whove learned a little logic and a little reason and look down on the Poor Little Tots that haven't got there yet.

Just ask a group of Humans to stop talking about god for a year. I have not tried it but I would wager that god disappears.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Philip K. Dick

Scientology

GwenC Level 7 Apr 18, 2019

It's self evident.

Simple. Religion did not exist prior to lthe time that evolution produced the modern homo sapien.

I think that that is both unsubstantiated and untrue.

@Metahuman Its substantiation is the grounds that no evidence of religion among any other earthly creatures has ever been found. Try that for starters. Rebut that!

No need for proof! Who invented them then, the penguins, the monkeys?

I doubt the monkeys would have the husband as the head of the wife, just as Christ is the head of the church.

In Islam, a dead man gets 72 virgins. A woman gets her husband back. (And generous as Allah is, if she married more than once, she gets to choose which husband she reunites with! Wow! How she gets along with the 72 virgins in paradise is anyone's guess.)

@greyeyed123 but I heard that all women become virgins again when they get to heaven 😉

@girlwithsmiles Oh gawd....no thanks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:333323
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.