Agnostic.com

16 22

A Favorite Hike: Ingalls Creek Trail

Today with three women, I hiked Ingalls Creek Trail, a spiritual place for me. Have hiked and snowshoed Ingalls Creek Trail since age 21, when I moved to Washington State.

Ingalls Creek is the longest creek or river without a dam in Washington State. Roiling, waterfalling, swollen, rushing, and beautiful, Ingalls Creek is glorious in all seasons. With high canyon walls, the creek is loud.

We hit snow on the trail at three miles. Two male hikers were turned back by snow.

Hungry, I suggested lunch at a nearby campsite. No, they wanted to keep going to a higher lunch spot. So, I munched roasted almonds from my pocket as I walked. (I always fill a pocket with almonds before hiking.)

The amount of snow on the trail increased as we climbed higher. Struggling in the snow, we stopped at 3.8 miles. Sat on a log for lunch. Immediately my sandwich slid off my thigh into the dirt. I laughed, brushed off the chicken and ate it. Gritty.

Wildflowers, blue skies and jagged mountain peaks. With Spring runoff, Ingalls Creek was so loud in places, we couldn't hear each other talk.

Karen, who is recovering from flu, did great! We hiked 7.6 miles with about 900 feet of elevation gain. The snow slowed us down.

Ingalls Creek is recovering from a wildfire in 2014. The wind suddenly shifted during the fire, leaving the wooded hillside across the creek unburned. Hooray!

Photos

1. Backside of the Enchantment Mountains from Ingalls Creek Trail.
  2. Yellow Avalanche Lilies.
  3. Ingalls Creek swollen with Spring runoff.
  4. White Trillium flower reaches toward the sun.
  5. Icicles, snow and rock.
  6. White bluebell is a rare anomaly.
#Flu
LiterateHiker 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks like a very beautiful natural place to hike ,for solitude and enjoying your spiritual side

@RoyMillar

Photos from hiking and snowshoeing Ingalls Creek each year since age 21.

Thank you for sharing the pics,,you are so blessed to be in an area that allows you to do this

such lovely glimpses of your world...those white bluebells were a special treat...time to dust off the hiking boots and head into the Appalachian mountains to see the spring flowers...

The spring flowers are just coming up here inn central NY.

Your photos are always so beautiful - thank you!

Great story and beautiful photos. Life is good! 🙂

One learns something new every day. Now I have a name for the cool little yellow flowers that show up in my yard every spring. Avalanche Lilies......

Magnificent countryside.

Beautiful photos.

Great looking hike, LH! I eat food that I dropped all the time - but you gotta get it in 5 seconds. Heh.

Enjoyed your hiking experience, though vicariously...appreciate your post..beautiful pictures.

Beautiful pictures as always. Looks like you had an amazing day.

How long did this hike take?

@Jolanta

We arrived at the trailhead at 9:30 a.m. Got back at 2:00. Minus about 30 minutes for lunch, we hiked 7.6 miles in 4 hours.

Heavy snow slowed us down. We didn't have snowshoes or micro-spikes for traction.

@LiterateHiker Wow, you must be very fit. After watching your posts it makes me realise that I need to be more active and i will. Today I shall look into joining a walking group. Just for small walks I don't want to overdo it too quickly.

This sounds fantastic. I am am in planning stages to visit my daughter in Washington state and I will ask her about this.

@BufftonBeotch

Don't go on a weekend. Ingalls Creek Trail is popular with people from Seattle on weekends.

Ingalls Creek Trail is featured in the Alaska Airline magazine with a picture like this. In 2012, I took this photo before the wildfire.

You are my vicarious hiking leader. Lovely pictures. Thank you.

wow! that's pretty awesome!

Beautiful!

You just won't stop! Please don't stop!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336402
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.