Agnostic.com

24 2

What is one truth you have learned that you wish you had never found out? For me, it was finding out that love can die, and nothing is truly forever

TheRevjoe 7 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've wished some things weren't true, but I've never wished I didn't know something unpleasant.

Not a darned thing. No matter how painful or ugly the truth, that's what I want. It has taken some conditioning to be able to handle the truth well enough at all times, but the growing pains to get here were worth it.

That not everyone I care about, cares about me. Who people present themselves as, when you first meet them, can be far from who they really are. Don't put your trust into someone, until they've proven themselves trustworthy. And, if you see signs that something isn't right, trust your instincts.

I can't think of a single one. I'd rather have the truth, ALL the truth, than believe in
any lie.

That most people operate on instinct rather than reason. It's frustrating to see things that no one else cares to.

Popular opinions are more important.

You can work harder than anybody and never get anywhere that was my truth

I learned that one the hard way too

Don't you mean, that love evolves into a different form? I have never found love to die, it changed from infatuation or lust...into the reality of responsibility! I learned that love was work! And, maybe it was a good thing that I did not have a full concept of what it was, early on, because I might have passed it by or avoided it! Because, love can cut us, like a knife! And, I do agree, that nothing is forever, everything is always changing...our bodies, nature and for sure relationships! So, go with the flow...really does have a deep meaning!

I was with my ex for 6 years. We loved each other very deeply until the end when it began to die. I do remember the intense feeling of love that I had for her but that love is now dead. It can die, and is awful when it does happen, but just as the OP said, nothing is forever.

@aussj4link I had several of those intense, 'love' attraction experiences in my life, but I would not call that the death of love. Nor, do I call that the real kind of love. When I think of love... I think of a feeling after the attraction has waned and the lust, has settled. And, also when there never was a feeling of lust! Now, there is where you will find 'real' love. And, that kind of love completely, sustains, us!

The one truth I have learned and it was actually a relief is that the older I get the more I realise that the vast majority of people haven't got a f---ing clue and are just winging it.

The Holocaust-have had nightmares since my teens.

For me, it was that my husband could die but true love NEVER dies and remains for eternity.

Finding out, on a much deeper level, that I'm not capable of affecting the world I live in in the way I want and that ultimately, after my death I will be forgotten. That's probably the one thing I wish I could have stayed ignorant of.

I prefer to know, no matter what.

That people only care about themselves. Except for close family and close friends. Those are the people to have in your life. I heard this saying, "Don't make others a priority if all you are to them is an option." So true.

water displacement theory

[insert Lovecraft reference here]

The ultimate unknowability of things.

That the world is biased in favour of the already rich and you can buy your way in and out of anything so long as you have money

And that not everything can be solved through peaceful means with knowledge and communication

That racism was not just a southern thing.

That sex can actually be lame.

Zster Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

I do not believe I would erase Any truth I ever learned...the truth is always helpful

Okay, I don't have one... yet.

I don't matter to the ones I thought I mattered to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.