Agnostic.com

34 2

What is the longest amount of time you have ever gone without sleep?

Please tell us what the circumstances were that made you go so long without sleep.

• 10 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 28 votes
snytiger6 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sleep about 4 hrs or less a day and for 5 or 6 days on a row if I am working . I have been known for slapping and pinching self to stay awake when trying to get home and nothing moves in the tunnel .
The saddest part is when u finally go home after 5 days as above , u crash self at bed w plans to sleep until the end of times , and the hospital calls to ask / beg for another shift out of u . Turning phone off is not an option . Always anxiety that u might get a call Bcz u did something wrong or someone died shortly after u left .
The longest I ve stayed awake was also for work and it was 46 hrs , emergency hurricane response . Sleep is my secret fantasy 😂😂😂

When I was manic, I could not sleep but my body crashed after about two days...then I would sleep for three days to recover...

Now, the most I go without sleep is less than 24...I get about 6-9 hours per night, more if I am sick or healing from something...I have a lot more energy to get things done when I sleep well.

I did a drive from Las Vegas, NV to Fort Campbell, KY by myself. Drove straight through. It’s a 25 hour drive plus stops.

Screamin' Eagles, ma'am.

Slow poke I once drove from New River NC to Duncanville Texas in under 36 hours....

@Lizard_of_Ahaz That's only 15 hours. Why would it take you 36?

@LisaL81 North Carolina... to Texas... I also made two stops one to visit friends and the other to drop off the guy who was supposed to be my relief driver in Oklahoma City .... He got lost 10 minutes into the drive so I did all the driving myself rather than have a relief driver who couldn't figure out how to stay on the highway or read a map.... Also I had to contend with the weather I was skidding down the Smokies in the middle of a blizzard.... This was also back when the speed limit was only 55 max (I kind of ignored that) and before the new route was put in ...Oops sorry I hit the wrong key also my big clumsy fingers it was 26 not 36...

Senior project in Journalism school. Up for over 48 hours.

I passed out and slept for 36 hours. My roommates thought I died and kept checking my breathing.

Realizing I was fine, they lifted my arms up and they went down with a thud, redid my hair, took my picture with things on my back.

Good times....

Trip to Vegas.
Went the first 44 hours without sleep.

Hey now. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! Shhhhh...

@balou I'm not saying shit about anything else.
Already edited that post four times. That's all I'm sayin'.

College. With a weird dude I was kinda friends with. I was down for anything and he thought we could do 72 hours.

24 hours when you're trying is easy. We played games, watched movies, drank a lot of vodka and wandered campus like a damn pair of fools.

We split up that morning to find breakfast, go to classes, etc. This is where it gets tricky. My memory is hazy. Did I fall asleep in one of those classes? Maybe. Hard to remember. I remember walking down a hallway out of a night class around hour 30something and I wasnt just in the wrong hall, i was in the wrong building. No recollection of how I got there.

Not long after, met back up with my buddy and we recreated the first night's shenanigans with a lot less gusto. I remember at 2 or 3 am, 5 or so hours left, I berated myself as a damn fool in the middle of this idiot next to me's adult swim marathon. Its fucking cartoon jesus christ. I got up and played pool by myself for two hours, and never sat down again. Hit 8 am and just walked into my room and actually had trouble falling asleep at first. Finally did, woke up 16 hours later. Fucked up my whole week.

Legit never hung out with that guy again.

Actually, I misread the question.

The longest I've ever been alone behind the wheel straight through was a drive from Vicksburg, MS to Tucson, AZ. This was in 1985 when the speed limit was 55. 31 hours of foolhardy stupidity, lots of Vivran, and coffee for good measure.

Otherwise, I've bee up over 48 hours at a time on a couple of occassions. Military stuff.

Working as a dialysis RN in acute care on call did obe 36 hr shift did 5 case you can only do 1 at a time ? Do you want me dialysing you mother on no sleep in the last 30 hrs

Sleep is for the weak! 6 am until about 1 am three days later, about 67 hours. I was busy almost the entire time. Then I had to get up at 6 am and go back to work.

About 48 when I was in college and it was so much fun........ the good old days are gone, now a days can't even watch an entire movie at night !!!!

Oh love...feel yer pain there

@Amisja Well, I am actually lucky that I have made it this far, right? LOL

For me it was during the wild fire here in Santa Rosa in 2017. I was in survival mode, I could not sleep and did not feel tired. The power was out and the natural gas was turned off. I did all the cooking in my driveway. We did not loose our house but I know a lot of people that lost everything.

Driving between Seattle and Michigan, I drove for 24 hours before stopping to sleep. This was in my 20s. I would not do that now.

without ANY? three days. that was about 40-45 years ago. without more than an hour or two at a time? a week or more. without meaningful sleep? years.

g

I was working as an ironworker in Maryland with a group of friends, when a warehouse we were building collapsed on one of our co-workers. We worked nonstop for the rest of the day and through the entire night until mid-morning securing the building so first responders to cut our friend out of the twisted metal. We thought he was a goner, since he was bleeding from the mouth. We assumed he had internal injuries, but it turned out he bit the inside of his mouth and that was causing the bleeding. He was lucky in a sense. He ended up with a few broken ribs, dislocated hip, and required stitches in his mouth. After we got off work, i drove to Ohio for a few days off with my family.

Good job!

Far less than 24 hours... I go to sleep around eight pm and wake about four am... Sleep is important...

After I created teh poll, it occurred to me I had left out a choice of "less than 24 hours". But that was a few hours later when I was bud=sy working out in the yard.

Yes, sleep i9s important and needed for good health, both physically and mentally. I know i am alwasy at my best ehen well rested.

Whiel in college, when most peopel do the stay uip as long as you can thing, I realized that I did better on tests if I was well rested than if I stayed up late studying. So, that is what I did.

About 60 hours. Our band were attempting the nonstop playing record. After two days we were all hallucinating, no drugs or alcohol involved, and the doctor said we had to sleep in our breaks. Really silly. Not advised!

I agree. Gongwithout sleep is not advisable. I would not choose to do ti again.

In high school my junior and senior years, I was a D+ average student. To pass each grade nearly all my courses combined I had 1,000 questions I had to copy and answer. Each year I did not sleep for the entire school week, mon-fri, completing all the work. Slept for more than 20 hours, those saturdays after though.

When I was in high school i was a "C" student. I alwasy had trouble taking notes and the class work was boring.

When i went to college my GPA shot up to 3.6. I stopped trying to take note sand just focused on intent listening to what the teacher/professor said. IO also read the text books as assigned. Anyway, i foudn that I could either listen or try to take notes. I could not try to take notes and also listen to everythign said because my attention was divided between writing (notes) and listening. I took in more by just listenign intently.

Anyway, I am mentioning all of this simply because the wqay they teach students to study in school does not work for everyone. I discovered if I listened intently, with my full focus on what was beign said without lett nmyself be distracted, I'd remember it better than tryign to take notes about what was said. So, I never took notes in any college course.

If you were a below average student, chances are teh way you learn is different from the way most others learn. What they tell you woudl work, probably did nto work for you, but some other way of doign things might work . However, if you work and go to school at the saem time, I sould nto recommend an increaase in coursebetter.

In my case what worked best for me also took much less time overall.

Three days, a couple of times, fueled by scotch and speed back in the 80's.

I had bilateral knee replacement surgery and was on the pain killer Dilaudid for a month. After I stopped taking it I don't think I slept for more than a few hours for nearly two weeks. That was roughest part of the surgery, I was really starting to come unglued emotionally. Ambien didn't do anything, what finally worked was Klonopin. But then it took 6 months to wean off that before I could sleep without it.

The last time I quite smoking, I had very little sleep for 2 weeks (1hr or less). I'm an insomniac anyway, but that was frustrating. There were several time during that 2 weeks where I had to call out of work because I had no sleep for more than two days.

I'm not real sure how long I was without sleep but by the time my then boyfriend hauled my ass to a real hospital I was hallucinating. My speach had also become slow and slurry by then. I got sick on June 30th and he took me to the hospital on August 11th.

Yeah, I understand that after about 48 hours hallucinations are not uncommon. It is like livign in a dream while awake, because you are no longer able to perceive reality as such.

@snytiger6 Yeah it's a whole lot like that but you can't make it stop because you're already awake.

I was on call for three days over a holiday weekend. I was working in the cardiac cath lab at the time. We had been called in 15x in 36 hours. Needless to say, no sleep in at least 36 hours. That was the worst weekend of call ever in my career.

I tend to question the idea of interns beign on for more than 24 hours at a time. I don't see the value in it. It seems as if the idea is that because doctors in charge had to do it so do the new doctors coming in.

Am I missing something?

@snytiger6 in my case it wasn't the doctors. There’s many interventional cardiologists but only one cath lab call team.

When my son was in hospital with DKA, didn't sleep for days.

How about "Less than 16 hours"? I'm a very talented sleeper!

skado Level 9 May 4, 2019

On one visit to the USA I didn't sleep for the first two nights. Jet lag, heat and humidity etc. On the third night I had amazing dreams. Almost like an acid trip.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:341833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.