Agnostic.com

35 6

Has anyone ever been to a godless wedding or funeral?

I officiated over a beautiful belly dance wedding once. Very secular, and completely heartfelt. One of the most moving unions of 2 people I've ever seen. I've never been to non-theist funeral. I loathe preachers at funerals. They exploit the dead. Has anyone ever been to a non theist wedding or funerall?

Tecolote 7 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every one I have ever been to was godless as I never saw any gods in attendance.

I clicked to say just that and your reply was the first I saw.

My son was married in December without mention of god or religion. A Marine buddy of his was the officiant.

Very cool!!

My marriage ceremony was officiated by a humanist in a cemetery.

I speak at atheist and agnostic funerals and viewings for those seeking a non-religious ceremony. Mostly friends and family members. If anyone's ever at a loss for a funeral orator, just ask The Antichrist.

That's rad. I will not forget this.

My own wedding was entirely godless, my (ex)partner and myself both being atheists. We specifically asked for atheist vows and adapted them to suit our own beliefs (none of that "honour and obey" crap) and, although there were Christians, Hindus, Muslims and Jews among the friends we invited, we asked them not to give us any kind of religious blessing.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 8, 2018

Same with me and my ex, all non religious wedding.

Yes I have been to a few celebrations of life that were non religious. They were all cremated. Some of these celebrations included a shared spreading of the ashes.

I've ministered about a dozen godless weddings. No godless funerals yet.

I had a god-free wedding. I am also an ordained minister and would happily perform god-free wedding ceremonies.

Ours qualified. No one mentioned God. The officiator was a NA "shaman" with a PhD in psychology. He drove a DeLorean and wore robes. No headdress.

Yes, I've been to and a part of both

Yes...an Atheist and nudist wedding.

My own - and I'm ordained through the Church of Atheism, and will likely be performing my first marriage this year (my present to friends who are getting married 🙂 )

Every wedding and funeral I've been to have been god free. No bull.

Non theist wedding, yeah. It was the nicest, most genuine wedding I've been to.

My dad’s was 99% atheist. The funeral dude didn’t “think John would mind just one biblical verse.” Ugh....

My ex had one god funeral because of her oldest sister and the one my kids had for her was godless.

Mine was. To be clear, my wedding

Been to both, my own wedding in 1979 was non religious with the only quotes being from Gibran.
Non theists funerals have been all about celebrating the life lived.

I had 2 very secular weddings..

A man I went to school with had a dad I was close to and the dad died. Over the years he became a non-believer and we had that in common. His "funeral" was a wake at a community center. Strangely, 4 or 5 preachers were there. They knew him and tried to make this gathering religious. The deceased had played country music and some of his younger friends were there also trying to play religious songs. One of them told me "he would want me to play this." For a while I thought we were at a revival. It was the damnedest thing I had ever seen. The deceased had been cremated and was buried next to his wife in the cemetery later.

No but would love to go to one!

Yes Ihave and it was fabulous!

Yes, both a wedding and a funeral. I know I am biassed when I say this, but I always have more respect for people who do this

I can't say that I have, even when I got married (now divorced) we got married in vegas and asked the officiant to make it non relgious, no mention of god. And sure enough, that douche bag included something about god and at that point my brother got a pic of our faces and the looks were worth a thousand words, but mostly "wtf" lol! Anyway, your belly dancing story sounds wonderful!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.