Agnostic.com

60 9

When is it okay to say "I love you"?

Nick said "I love you" a week after we met. I was shocked. He seemed needy.

"It's too soon to talk about love," I replied. I felt pressured.

In past relationships, I waited approximately six months to a year before saying "I love you." Building trust takes time.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

POWerful words. I have said in return "your just in lust" but that was just like throwing chum in the water. I waited 6 months repeating myself then proposed and then she freaked out! She then said can't we just live together?

After you have an orgasm

When you want something

I can feel love for someone quite quickly if it happens, but that has nothing to do with being in a relationship with them and is unconditional. I guess you are talking about falling 'in love' within a relationship, which is normally conditional. My feeling would be to express that if I felt it because there is no certainty that it will last... so enjoy it while I can.

When you truly, honestly, absolutely, for sure, deep-down-in your-heart, FEEL it !

Though, I find it wise to assess the possible ramifications that may result - beforehand.

Yes,I would use 6 months to gauge emotional attachments, and check for any anger issues. It's sometimes better to be alone to love yourself before getting into a relationship. Seeing couples though, will make you envious of what you are missing,but take your time,see if the other person meets most of your needs....

In my experience EVERY time a man has said it too early to me he was being manipulative either in an emotional way to make me believe he cared for me more than he did (or at all with the last one), or in a way to try and manipulate sex/sexual intimacy out of me. I only believed it when it was said to me by my long term ex of 5 years. I could tell it was genuine and heartfelt by how he said it and how he didn't expect anything in return. Some months later I said it back to him as I felt it too. 🙂 Hence my skepticism with guys that say it too soon. Although my bullshit detector has always been spot on with this. With my first high school bf he said it to me while he was aroused (we had not had sex yet) and he said it in spanish, when the boy was not a spanish speaker. A way to distance himself from the words perhaps? I laughed out loud at that one as I knew what he was doing. 🙂

I agree - it takes time to get to know someone. A week???!!! Are you kidding me? You can 'like' someone in a week, but 'love'....no way..... I would run for the hills.

What is love? I have had woman quickly tell me they love me. Perhaps at the moment they speak the words they're misinterpreteding their feelings. Perhaps his neurons and hormones are firing off a rate that prohibits clear cognitive thoughts.

Unity Level 7 May 8, 2019

One woman told me that out of the blue, immediately after I bought her expensive music festival ticket. Big Red Flag!

I'm 35. I hardly ever tell my mother that I love her. I don't think I ever told my dad that. My kid sis, I hardly ever tell her as well. I've been friends with all of these people for over 30 years. I'd be a skeptic if he said those words after a week. Seems wonky.

Take care,

M.

That depends. It is only words and what do they actually mean. So many people say I love you but in the next breath call you horrible names.

@Wangobango3 Just look at all those domestic violence incidences. In one breath they tell you the love you and in another they hit you and call you names.

You cannot love someone after a week, I don't think. Not proper love. Infatuation, yes. Abiding love takes a little time is my belief. Take things carefully, needy can turn into controlling.

My wife and I courted for ten years on and off before we married, less than four months after that she died. Life is short it is better to fill it with a lot of mistakes made in haste, than play safe and make none but the mistake of emptiness.

How sad,to lose her when you should have married and had more happiness(I believe).

@Mike1947 We both got distracted, me by work and she by another man who in the end ran off and left her after only a couple of years. Yet the last couple of years we had together and the short while we were married, were blissfully happy yes. So no regrets.

@Fernapple Yes,very good memories,in my case a 27 years long marriage ended in my wife's death from lung cancer,I have many good memories, but at night before sleep, the not so good ones come to visit,so I take a 10mg Melatonin tablet most nights to sleep.

@Mike1947 Yes, P. died of a brain tumour which was undiscovered until one day she seemed to have a stroke. I was haunted by the horror of her death bed, (it was truly nasty and lasted a week) for many years in the early hours when not sleeping. It did go in time, and now only the happy things we did seem to surface, but I found that the best way to push the bad dreams away, was to keep very busy and do lots of things for other people until time and new things overwelmed them. It not new but it worked for me.

@Fernapple You do what you can to keep your sanity, in my late wife's case after two Hospitalizations,the Doctors told her "We cannot do anything more for you" (Go home and die),so she got progressively weaker and passed away 13 months after her cancer diagnosis,the twist of fate, was being told on our 26th wedding anniversary date of August 23, 2016..........

I have to say that saying you waited 6 months to a year sounds like you were holding back all that time, rather than being honest about how you felt. So, one could say you were as needy as anyone else, which is just a matter of desperation, not whether you're worthy or anything. It's not necessarily unhealthy to grab a life preserver when you're drowning, it's just a situation you both should be aware of and work with. It's not against the law to be lonely. If you can't handle meeting someone who's more than ready to start a relationship and who's willing to jump in with both feet, fine, but don't make it a crime and run into the night screaming. Of course building trust and everything takes time, but that's not the same as having the hots for someone. Just a thought. Personally I've held off getting involved with anyone for a very long time. That hasn't earned me any brownie points, and one could just as well say I haven't been willing to be open enough. Putting arbitrary time limits on how you feel and whether to express it is just another form of game playing.

However, I do agree that it takes time to know if you really love someone for who they are, not just how bad you need to be in a relationship. If you know someone hasn't gotten to know you well enough to love you, then yeah, they are at least a bit needy if not delusional or deceptive. For example, online dating sites are full of scammers who pelt unwary men and women with flowery promises of love, betting on their loneliness so's to take advantage of them.

What makes you think I hold back all the time? I prefer to be lovers and friends first, and see how the relationship develops. The only time I sat on my feelings was with Dan.

I waited 1-1/2 years with Dan because he was terrified of love and commitment. Dan had never been married nor live with a woman. I knew he would freak out if I said "I love you."

We were having fun downhill skiing, hiking and weightlifting together. I loved the guy. So after 1-1/2 years, I leveled with him. Told Dan I loved him. I was right. Instantly he pulled away.

I broke up with Dan because it was too painful for me to love a man who was incapable of loving me in return.

We continued as friends and hiking partners. Alas, Dan moved to Utah. I lost my favorite hiking and backpacking buddy.

LOL geeze so much criticism directed at hiker all because she LOGICALLY does not believe someone can love a stranger after one week. You are quite defensive of this random dude. Methinks you are a needy and love-bomber just like him, hence the defense of him. Learn the difference between infatuation/lust and love dude. Seems you struggle between differentiating between the two. Hint, love tends to stay after the honeymoon phase. 😉

@demifeministgal I can't help that you misinterpreted what I had to say, completely, but if you talk down to me and insult my intelligence again, I'll just block your rude, sarcastic self and that will be that. I have no patience for trolls.

@AlbertSchepis not a troll. Do what you want. good riddance to bad rubbish.

This is bullshit. What do you call trust? Loving can happen anytime weather you just met someone or you have been together for years, and simply because you have been with someone for years and he or she "I love you", make them real. Most domestic violence is done by people we have known for decades.

@Humanlove

There is no reason to criticize me. Insulting members is against Community Guidelines.

Love is a big deal to me. It always has been.

@LiterateHiker He was unnecessarily vulgar and insulting by saying bull***t, but made a valid point.

@LiterateHiker Women seek stability and love in any relationship,especially if a family is planned.

Wen you mean it ?

It depends on so many things. I'm usually very hesitant to say it but I've said it after 3 days. That relationship lasted 10 years. But it didn't put her off like it does you. So it is too early, only because you feel it is.

I just go with how l feel.

In any event just remember: These moments won't come back around. The short time we are allowed is precious and we have to make the most of it.

I wonder if saying "I love you" too early is a lack of empathy. If wonder if the right timing to say it is when you mean it AND you get enough signs from the other person that the feeling goes both ways. They say that time has no respect for what's done without it.

The right time to tell someone you love them is the instant you feel it.

When two people feel strongly for one another, love knows no time or boundaries.

I'm not going to live my life counting how many days, weeks, or months go by before I tell the man I love that I truly love him. It could be too late.

I'd rather have loved and lost than not have loved at all.

Love is worth every smile and every painful tear.

Very true.

YEP~thanks

As soon as you can’t not say it. But a week is too soon. A month is too soon. If you say it, when you say it, mean it. No take backs.

It seems that men often use it as a lever. A week is way too soon. Love needs to be demonstrated before it is spoken.

@RileyStevens

Exactly.

As we say in our neck of woods, don't follow the lips, follow the feet.

Every time is the right time! Love doesn't need time, it needs trueness!
Just explain to him, if he has it in him to love, then he should feel it with no expectations...... if he truly loves you he will be just expressing his feelings which not wrong. You don't have to return the same feelings because there is no favor done in loving someone or someones .. love is love and that's it

Neenz Level 7 May 7, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.