Agnostic.com

56 8

If you knew that if you came out as an atheist that you would lose everyone you called family would you?

MayRebel 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yep. It is the Risk I will take to avoid Losing myself because being me is Worth the Risk.

Probably not, but fortunately I did not have to deal with that as there are more A-theists in my family than theists.

I've come out to family members as an Agnostic. They have accepted my decision (sarcasm), THOUGH one nephew has told me that I am going to hell because I've TURNED AWAY from God. I'm compelled to be honest. I don't expect my family to completely accept me, they are arrogant and will not change. I'm hoping to reach some "middle ground" with them. Oh, there is one more thing that complicates this situation, I have been in and out of psychotherapy for decades and my response to my family's behavior has not always been the best. I believe that life is a continuing project, so I continue to work on the relationships with family members.

"COMING OUT"? do they bother you about your beliefs or are you just feeling rebellious? I feel strongly that my beliefs, or lack of them, are Nobody's business & that is what I would state if asked.

Definitely not . What reason would I have to tell them anyway?

If I didn't already know that my family would still love and support me as they do, I would not tell them. Assuming I would not have to attend services, I'd keep it to myself.

My family already knows my beliefs. It doesn't make any difference to them, just like their beliefs make no difference to me. Unless there's proselytization going on.....

marga Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

Yes. Find your own tribe. In the end, the people that matter are the ones that care about you as a person in the here and now.

Lol I've been open about my atheism since I was a teenager, and never considered losing family over it. I did lose family over some other issues, though.

If they can not accept me for what I chose not to believe in. I can not change and live a lie to have people accept me.

This is a hard one. If it wasn't for my dad, who is super religious, I wouldn't have a place for me and my son to stay. I would probably keep it to myself if I knew he would shun me. But if having a place to life and such wasn't an issue, I would still come out because I don't need people who will leave me in my life.

YES! But we are all atheists, they are just a-holes...

Yes. I make no bones about it. People know it about me. Some in my family pray for me. 🙂

I've already lost family and friends when I came out as Trans..so this wouldn't be a big step for me.

I did know, and I did lose but don't miss them if that is how they feel.

That has already happened.

“Those who mind, don’t matter. And those who matter, don’t mind.” The truth is, you don’t choose your biological family, they don’t stop being family due to personal or those family beliefs. Attitudes do change, however I always took a certain compromise in mine. The truth of the matter, a bellicose form of atheism is no way to show by example. It’s atagonistic in nature and results in opposition rather than provoking thought or discourse. Listening doesn’t mean accepting their beliefs, and it doesn’t necessarily validate those beliefs either. Atheism in itself is an acceptance on philosophical thought, by the same token so it the family choice to believe in religion. However do not tolerate be belittled by your beliefs or the truth you posses. A family member that I no longer associate with, had the idea that “the word is learnt by blood” a metaphor that you can force changes in behaviors and beliefs by force. “Those who mind, don’t matter.” The rest of my family deeply catholic are very totlerant and we can have discourse on atheism, agnosticism, and religion without forcing anyone into their beliefs or mine for that matter. When in trouble we cooperate not just tied by blood, but because a good family takes care of each other, despite the circumstances. “Those who matter, don’t mind”

Yes, I would. Coming out as an atheist, in my opinion, isn't much different from coming out as gay. My son's gay and he was accepted by everyone in his family except for his dad who finally accepted him only because he was dying of a malignant brain tumor and he didn't really recognize his own son anyway.

I'm coming out incrementally. (I can only consider myself Agnostic at this point.) My extended family has been (at least somewhat) told (though they don't seem to believe it). Most of my wider social sphere doesn't know, some do. I don't think I'll loose my family even when it all really sets in for them, but I'm not ready yet for it to be basic common knowledge about me.

I probably would, my family is all religious and would be adgast to know that I am. I already have lost people but those are the ones that want to control me, so who cares I am very tired of it. Why can't I believe what I want and how about reality, there are not angels, god, devils, easter bunny of santa clause. Its all for fun, grow up and can't we be friends without all the nonsense. I am looking for friends just like me

Definitely, gotta be yourself

I already have.

JK666 Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

Relatives who don't respect your way of thinking are not too much of a family..............

They are way too afraid of missing what I'll do next.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.