Agnostic.com

17 4

How else do you break societal conventions, besides being agnostic? Examples: I eat only health food, avoid synthetic prescribed drugs, avoid jobs requiring sitting indoors all day, live like natives when I'm abroad

birdingnut 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The problem with social conventions is that there are so many of them, depending on your click. I try eat food that has been treated compassionately, because I don’t think any creature should suffer needlessly. I avoid most processed foods because they can kill me painfully, and that’s not how I want to go. I rail against Hollywood because of how they treat people, and how they require others to sell their soul. I don’t mind rocking the boat a little, but there are so many boats that mostly what I end up doing is getting beat up by a bunch of oars.

Ask lots of uncomfortable questions. My laate partner was totally unafraid of confrontations and I need to lower my fear of them. If they agree it might lead to a further discussion. If they don't agree it can tell me something about myself but, too often, it tells me something about the other person.

I adamantly refuse to adhere to any particular gender role(s).

I don't strive for power or material possessions. Oh, and sometimes I wear my shirt inside out, but that's by mistake.

Actually it is us that wear our clothe's inside out. When the clothes were made the seam side is the true side.

I avoid potentially toxic chemicals by making my own lip balm, lotions, deodorant, toothpaste,etc. I eat organic when I can, grow some of my own food, and eat mostly vegetarian. I don't waste paper by using toilet paper, I use cloth personal wipes that I wash and reuse. I don't have cable, when/if I watch TV it is streaming. I like shopping at estate sales for stuff that I can either reuse, or resell. I don't buy when I can make. And that is a good start.

I'm a vegetarian, but I can't think of anything else these days that would break societal conventions other than those assoicated with being a non-believer.

I'm F.A.T. and I love it. I did 8 years at 140 (lost 200 lbs) when my mom died I gained some back. I like living fat-out-loud, it really bothers some people. It's my power base!

Why avoid synthetic prescribed drugs? I used to be a pharmacist and you are pissing on my (former) profession.

How many drugs have side effects? How many drugs could be avoided if people ate better and got more exercise. How many drugs have interactions with other drugs. How many doctors would rather throw a pill at you to get you out of their office than to take time with you. How many drugs are way overpriced. How many chemical companies would rather create customers than cures? Martin Shikreli comes to mind. She's not "pissing on your profession" she's making a choice to live healthier naturally.

You a Big Pharm guy, huh? Before Rockefeller bought the drug companies, people took cannabis and herbs to cure things, prescribed by doctors. This is still common in many Asian countries, but in the US, the doctors are mostly synthetic drug and operation pushers, because there's more money in it, and they get kick-backs.

@birdingnut doctors don't get kickbacks any more, that shit is super illegal.

Sorry these conspiracy nuts are shitting on your former profession. Greed ruins a lot of professions, but personally I'd rather trust someone who's gone to school and understands the substances in question and their potential interactions with other substances and human body chemistry than some paranoid herb-peddling quack with a Google degree and an axe to grind.

@birdingnut No.

@birdingnut Still no.

@birdingnut Ohh FFS how many times do I have to say NO???

Being me seems to do the trick.

I hop on YouTube and watch all I can about history or nature or other places- I don't have cable and I don't do social media- I'm on hear the most cause like minded people lol and I seem to like all the opposite kind of things from normal folk- I pick up on this when I'm around my mom aunt and her daughter- they are way more grily than I am- it's funny when they are talking about some product or new item and ask me about it- I just shrug nope never herd of it lol- being the black sheep saves me lots of money haha

Have you ever been to the dark side of youtube? Amazing the crap one can find.

@fantasticalice Dark side of YouTube? Tell me more!

I don't work for other people...I don't avoid homeless people...I don't spend more than 20 minutes a week on my smart phone...most of the time no minutes, unless I have to talk business...I dress much different than anybody I see...so I guess I am not in 'style'...haha

Simple living no materiality hermit cave dweller (of sorts) shun crowds stay high meditate often

I'm fat and refused to be ashamed about it.

weight is such a weird social thing...there should be nothing to be ashamed of!

How funny! Read my above! Nice to meet ya!

@fantasticalice Why is this funny?

I am just ME! Lead by example. cc:me

Nena Level 6 Mar 10, 2018

Skateboard, buzzcut, approach men, fraternize with "the enemy", admit ignorance, radical honesty, flout status hierarchy, no body shame, no sexual shame... There's a lot. Probably easier to list the ways in which I don't break societal conventions.

Who's 'the enemy' in this case?

And yet there are no pictures of you. Huh.

@memorylikeasieve In today's polarized world, it's anyone who disagrees with you about anything. Athiest? Not supposed to go to church. Liberal? Not supposed be friends with conservatives. Etc. I used patronizing quotes because I don't believe there are any enemies, only people.

@Anonbene And yet I am not a hypocrite: I hate being treated any kind of way because of how I look. That's neither body shame nor dishonesty--that's wanting to be treated like who I am instead of what people see. Online is the only place I get that chance.

Have not watched a TV station broadcast of any kind for about 30 years, don't take pain killers, or anaesthetic when at dentist, I barely pay my bills, though have never missed one, but I strive to reduce both my costs and income as I believe money gives people control and it enables more greed.

I am not even sure I know what a social convention is, I just live my life as I please.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.