Agnostic.com

20 4

What do you do when your child does something that makes you resentful?

Back in November, my youngest son's mother was arrested (again) and my son begged me to file for custody of him. I work, I pay my bills, and I'm completely current on my child support, so I'm not the richest man. In order to afford a custody battle, I had to sell something that was very valuable to me. Initially, I was granted temperory emergancy custody. Shortly thereafter, his mother was released from jail and, in the end, my son lied about me to his grandfather, to his friends, to his school and to Children Services. While the case with Children Services was dropped because they could tell my son had lied, I still lost custody of him. Ever since that all happened, I have found myself feeling resentful of him. Resentful that he lied about me, and resentful for what I sold to get him in the first place. I need to stop feeling resentful toward my son, but honestly, I don't know how. Any (constructive) feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Shawappa44820 7 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is a really tough one - resentment is like a simmering fire inside - the old platitude 'time heals' is probably only useful if your'e on the road to recovering already - If you can let go have a good howl at the moon one night when youre on your own , physical stuff is good for anger like using up the energy in your body so that adrenaline levels are nor an issue, and if you do get to have a cry thats a real help too.

Except for the fact that I am the custodial parent and have been for eleven years, there may be some parallels in our stories. The issue here is probably not your kid but the other parent. I have watched my ex turn our son into an angry, sullen brat with no sense of responsibility and no respect for boundaries. When the ex isn't in the picture, (when she is incarcerated or otherwise out of the picture, which is currently the case), our son becomes respectful, pleasant, chatty, and responsible. For a long time, I was angry and frustrated by my son, and have come to realize that the real issue is still living up to the reasons that I filed for divorce. As far as custody, it is possible for an intelligent and well-read individual to represent themselves in court and save loads of money. It is also possible to win, even if the other person is represented by an attorney. In the end, resenting your child is allowing the manipulations of your ex to drive a wedge between you and your child. It is misdirected and isn't worth it.

Your son is a child who is being put into a psotion atht is traumatic for him. You don't say how old he is, but regardless, his mom has been arrested multiple times and his parents are not together. That is a lot to process. Don't resent him!! He needs you more then you may realize! Don't let him down, as much as it hurts you now, in the long run he'll see that love that you show him. Don't let him see the resentfulness. Project nothing but love and honesty! I really feel for you and know this has to be hard! Don't give up!

One thing I've learned from religion is the concept of forgiveness. I won't lie and say it always works, but it does, sometimes. It helps to say it out loud. And you may have to repeat it. He's your son, and you know you have to forgive him to move on. It hurts. And it's hard to forgive. What's the alternative? Resentment? Hate? Not good feelings to have toward your offspring. I keep remembering the old commercials they used to run. It may have been the Latter-day Saints. "Hate hurts you." I believe that. You may not be able to forget, but you need to forgive for your own well-being. Him getting away with what he did is not good, but I have to think he'll learn his own lesson the hard way, eventually.

My son did the same to me, lying in court, along with his dad, to get me in trouble after asking me to help him. He even threatened to shoot me while I slept, something his father had done. I simply stopped trying to talk to him or help him, since he soon turned 18 anyways, moved to LA, and never contacted me, told everyone not to give me his address or phone number. But to get rid of resentment, I suppose you and I both could use the NLP technique of imagining the bad incidents the way they should have happened, instead of how it did happen, since it replaces the original emotion of the incident with the ones associated with the new memory. I could imagine my son being kind, truthful, and loving, thus getting the emotions of pride and love that would bring.

Its still early days don't beat yourself up for having feelings its part of the process. when the time is right you will be able to open up some form of communication and find out his reasons for what he did and maybe work through it. sounds like he's going through a shitty time with his mum and that may be the reason for his behaviour. my advice would be keep doing what you are doing with child support and concentrate on yourself whilst letting your son know you will always be there for him . Put the ball in his park (or whatever the saying is )

Feeling resentful is ok, we are humans, and when you feel that it’s wrong to feel resentful for a long period, that is good. You can change that feeling by understanding your son; the things he was going through as a child, the things he witnessed, the way he was treated, and how much love, understanding, education he received or not. All of these things, plus our genes and environment makes us who we are, especially at early age when our brain is the most Influenceable. I do not know how old is your son, and how often you meet but try to understand him, to talk to him openly, without judging him. It’s not easy.

That's a good response

it seems that you know what is he going through. It’s not easy to him as h lives most of the time with his mother. I do not know your relationship with him, but i think you do not understand how children function, and all are different. Understanding his situation but not understanding the outcome of this situation is the problem.

@Shawappa44820 One reason, Swawappa, is that he is 10. He has another 15 years to go before his brain is even fully developed. She is his PRIMARY parent, despite her frailties and fuckups. It's BIOLOGY. Children at that age don't even have the brain skills to reason that a parent is a fuckup. All he knows is that that's his mom (and primary parent in terms of where he lives and who he sees the most), and he loves her. He's only 10. He is a wee child. He won't even remember a lot of this when he is 30 years old -- especially because she is dysfunctional and that will affect his memories. What he WILL remember is your stability, your love, your patience, your understanding, your ability to provide predictable routines, your honesty, your kindness, and your affection. I promise you that he will remember those things. He will also remember that you never said disparaging or negative things about his mom. My daughter's father was useless as a dad - in every way possible. I kept those thoughts to myself. As an adult she came to accept his poor character and selfish choices on her own. I will have frank conversations with her if she asks about him, but I still keep my true thoughts tempered. Anyway, keep being the best dad you can be. It's hard -- ESPECIALLY when you want to be a good dad, and when you want to be a dad whose kids WANT to be around him in 20 years. If you didn't care, this would be easier. But you do, so trust that it can be very very difficult sometimes -- and that you will survive.

It is not easy, but you will have to forgive your son. He is being put in the middle and pulled by both sides, apparently, so so remember that he is in pain also. I went through a divorce when my daughter was four years old and her father was always uncooperative, to say the least. Having to deal with that situation over the years caused a lot of stress to my daughter and myself. I would never wish it on anyone. I wish you the best and appreciate your concern and desire to keep your son with you and to have the most positive relationship with him that you can. In spite of poor behavior at times by both of her parents, if I am honest, my daughter grew up to be a wonderful caring and strong adult, as I'm sure your son will, with a caring parent such as you are. Postscript: Just a few months ago, her father took a gun to himself and his girlfriend of many years who had finally tried to break up with him. Your love for your son is so important.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. Can you understand why he did it? I'm thinking maybe his mother manipulated him? At that age human beings are generally self centered and think in the present. I think understandng helps compassion. It was your choice to make that sale. That's a decision that you need to own. Can you understand why it is bothering you so much? Perhaps it is a continuation of things that his mother did to you that she is now doing through your children? It might help to blame the situation and circumstances rather than your son.

Wow.....that's really tough. Being a parent is soooooo hard sometimes. I find myself somewhat resentful and very very disappointed in much of what my adult daughter is doing these days. I keep on keepin' on though. I truly love her more than life itself, and I just keep hoping that in time she will grow out of that which is causing her to be and do things that give me grief. I think very few people get to say "my child is every parent's dream 100% of the time." My only suggestion would be to seek the guidance of a therapist to help manage and understand your own feelings. Besides that, like my therapist once told me, you don't ever ever ever give up on your kid - no matter what - emotionally, physically, figuratively or literally. No matter what they show on the outside, being abandoned by a parent is the worst thing that can happen to them and the damaging effects last a lifetime. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

I feel for you. I'm glad you asked that question because I was in that situation before. It sucks being a parent sometimes. I haven't got over my son doing a similar thing to me over 10yrs ago. Sweep it under the rug and know that you followed thru on your commitment to your son and did the best you could. That's all you can do is your best. Hugs

Children love to be in charge of important things. I explained my child, many times, how important is trusting in each other. How many things trust can fix and there is no other bigger power of love than trust, in any kind of relationship, and especially starting in family. Definitely this imply an openness and a greate deal of pacinece and self confidence, and emotional intelligence from the parent side.

@Shawappa44820 he did what he did because he was forced by circumstances and emotionally manipulated. We all do horrible things under certain circumstances. The fact that he realized it’s good. He feels confused and scared, he loves his mother and amwant things to go better. Unfortunately people are affected by their life and even his mother is badly influenced by her father. I think your son needs more emotional stability by understanding the situation and accepting the ugly reality. If you woul try to tell him how much you appreciate his character and how important is to be strong and understand that his mom loves him, but definitely has many problems she couldn’t manage to cope with, and this is the outcome. I’m confident that as he grows and your are by his side, he will pass this hard time. It is said that not the trauma itself destroys the child mental stability but the fact that there is nobody in his life to encourage him and tell him that what happens it’s wrong but he has to be strong and confident. Somebody who can show him the good part of life and make him feel loved and understood.

I have some understanding of what you are suffering but do not have time to respond appropiately at this time. I will send you a private message later today after I am back home.

What freedompath said...the only thing I would add is that when your parent is doing things that they know will/could result in jail time, there is some selfish behavior going on here, unless it is doing something unfortunately necessary for the child...I have experience in this. The kid is gonna have resentment for all involved, whether deserved or not. The kid will also learn to manipulate behavior because he is probably having to do a lot of things on his own that parents are suppose to take care of...stuff is irrelevant...all 'stuff we think is precious' can be replaced with 'new stuff we think is precious'....kids lie....it's funny when they are bad at it, but what we don't know is that is them practicing on being good at it.

@Shawappa44820 Those are key words, "I don't like him right now." Try to understand you are human. I believe you that you love him. I believe you that you don't like him. He may not be very likable right now. I think it's okay for you to not like him right now -- as long as he never FEELS that from you. There is so much I don't "like" about my daughter right now. Hell, if we get right down to it, I am wondering what kind of alien is inhabiting MY daughter's mind. But, I would NEVER want her to know that because, despite her current poor choices and judgment, I love her with ever fiber of my being--and that's what I want her to know for the rest of her life. Be kind to yourself and try to accept that not liking how your kid is presenting himself currently is not forever and, in time, you will see that he always appreciated your stability, your love, your honesty and every other good thing you do with and for him as a dad. Just keep on keepin' on and, again, trust that you are not alone in this struggle.

@Shawappa44820 Yeah, I know where you are coming from, almost exactly....in my case, drugs weren't the worst of it for my ex....I can't even textualize the worst of it....she ended up killing herself slowly, intentionally...leaving two kids...I have lost or given up everything I owned on many occasions, a few times very intentionally...so, I have a different concept of stuff...I would recommend it to everybody...@BlueWave has it down exactly...I mean word for word...you aren't wrong in your feelings...shit, you can't be wrong in your feelings, because they are your feelings....but you can be wrong with your actions, and you don't sound like you are gonna be wrong...my kiddo is in his 20's now and as of two months ago been arrested a lot of times for meth possession. He isn't biologically mine, or things would have been different, but without legal recourse, I was screwed and by proxy, so was he. Don't get in that situation. It kills you.

I had another thought...you may feel very vulnerable over this situation, like you lost control and could not change it or go back...if so, just know that there will be lots of situations, that will be out of your control and all that you can do is, 'take the bull by the horns'...and try and solve the problem to the best of your ability! That is all anyone can do.

I boss them around a little bit and make up a bullshit chore to exert my dominance.

I surely want to tackle this problem with you. I have 5 children...all 54-62. Now, you have every right to be crushed! Having to struggle for money is no picnic, I have done that most of my life, too! You must mend your disappointed heart and get back to being a father. But, you must remember your child is still just that...he is not a wise person yet! If he has indeed lied, it seems that you and your ex, need to figure out a reasonable punishment for those actions, something suitable to his age. And then, treat your son with all the love and respect that you can muster. Don't lay on your son the burden of his guilt, for a long period of time! This will not help him to be more forthcoming in the future. If your son is old enough, you might report(calmly) to him, what it cost you, when he failed to tell the truth. After that, Praise him, when he does the right thing and show him, in many different ways that you love him. You may need to enlist the help from a counselor, because your child may be going thru more than you know about. What ever you do, you must get your own equallibrium back, because your child may start to believe that his own father does not love him and worse that he does not deserve to be loved. No child should think he is not worthy of his own father's love. I have had lots of these kinds of things happen with my children over the years and I had 5 of them! And, I can say it was always hard to gather myself up and do what is right for my child, but I managed to do it.(not perfectly)...parenting is hard work, but the work must be done, because we cannot go back and do it over, if we fail! I surely feel for you...good luck.

I agree with you about how hard it is. Even when they are well beyond childhood. I love your thoughtful and spot-on response. All except for the punishment part. I think there are ways for him to get how he affected another person he loves without punishment. Anyway, kudos to you for being, what appears to me, a very good mama. 🙂

@Shawappa44820 ...when I made my statement about control, this is what I was referring to...things that you have no control over, your child's mother's behavior, complete control with things surrounding your son and even the world at large! Life itself can seem to overtake us and out of our control...because it most cases it is! (I don't know if you are an over controlling person, or not.) If you can't work with his mother, please refrain from disparaging comments about your son's mother. He is part of his mother and children take bad/good comments about their parents on, as something about them, too. Since my children's Dad, was a raging alcoholic, it was easy to want to tear him to bits, when they reported back to me, what went on at his house. But, most of the time, I caught myself and worked it out in my own mind. It is not easy to being an 'other home' parent, and especially thru the teenage years, which are the hardest of all. But, how you handle yourself now, will be the example for your son, to draw strength from, and believe me, that is important! Since my parenting skills sucked, I did work hard to keep my head on straight and I know (they told me so, as adults) it made a difference. Because, my children had tough times growing up. I am so sorry about your possession...that came from your mom...that you sacrificed for your son. It was a loving act, from both your mother and on your part... and that is lasting, it is strange how we view an object that is from a loved one. I am having to get rid of stuff from my children, because I want to get down to few things, but it is almost making me sick. (I have already done that with my mother's, things, she died 10 yrs ago). The best advice that I can give you or anyone is...learn to be with your 'hard' feelings! They can only destroy us, if you let them, but they can often times hurt us at our deepest level, too...but, in the end we come out stronger! So, as soon as you possibly can, pick your self back up and figure out what you can do that will make the situation better. That is what each of us have had to do, if you want to live in this world. You are only alone, in your mind with the 'hard' work. Others will reach out to you, if you ask...

It does depend on his age and maturity level. Kids don't understand, they want what they want at the time and use what ever means. Sad but true. He is no different to millions of others. Remind him when he is older what happened.

Man I'm probably going to be a real shitty parent because I believe that blood doesn't make family, and it's okay to be upset and a little resentful for what he did. I'd be on strict 'earn trust back' probation. It's obvious he's being raised in a less than healthy situation, so there's probably a lot of negative influence going on, but in the end he is him and you are you and sometimes you can bend over backwards to help your kid and have them stab you in the back. I hope things work out for you, but parent or not, your feelings are yours and you're entitled to feel them.

Oh honey I’m so sorry. I recently got divorced. My ex is an amazing dad and I would NEVER deny him access to our daughters. I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. It’s so difficult. My youngest is having a lot of issues (failing classes, truancy, etc). I’m just hoping eventually she’ll appreciate the time and effort I put into her. It’s very difficult to not be resentful. She refuses to live with me and it breaks my heart. Best of luck to you.

Welcome to the human world. you can't choose your family. it is what it is.

Word

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.