Agnostic.com

23 9

Broken toe update. Can't hike until fire season?

Excuse me while I take a tranquilizer.

Today I had new x-rays and saw a podiatrist. This is my quick drawing of the x-ray. A month ago, I broke the fourth toe on the right foot.

Good news

1. The fracture did not go all the way through the bone. The corner of the bone is attached, not floating. Yay!

2. In four weeks, I will have another x-ray and see Dr. Hicks, podiatrist.

3. The fracture is healing.

4. Must wear the medical boot for two more weeks.

"See how it feels in a regular shoe," Dr. Hicks said. "If it hurts, put the boot back on."

Bad news

1. This type of fracture take longer to heal.

2. For at least four weeks, I can't hike or walk much. (silent scream)

An elderly man broke three toes in a row the same way.

"It been six months, and his fractured toes have not healed," Dr. Hicks said. "I want to be cautious with this type of fracture."

LiterateHiker 9 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Call a toe truck. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just keep doing what you're told.
If you don't, it's only going to get worse, and take longer to heal.
You know that's true.

If that is an accurate rendering of your foot, you have a much bigger problem than a broken toe. Please don't wear sandals. 🙂

@Sticks48

Hope you are joking.

I'm not an artist. It's a quick sketch to show the angle and position of the fracture.

I deliberately kept it simple to focus on the fracture. Laboring to draw all the bones of the foot is a waste of time.

The sketch would be too busy, making it hard to see the fracture line.

@LiterateHiker Just messing with you. 🙂

A toe is a wicked injury to have. Try to be restrained and don't push this one. I hope it heals well.

@scout123456

Thank you.

You follow a terrific lifestyle better than most, very similar to mine, which I applaud you for.
Saying you aren’t a lion does not address the issue. You are descended from omnivores who did eat some meat. If eating meat exacerbated arthritis in your hands, there may be reasons that are not related to the meat. Naturally, any processed meat product would come from a factory farmed animal and some so-called organic meat producers finish their beef by feeding them grains for a week or two before market. As a rule, arthritis is a grain condition, and you admit to eating whole wheat bread as if it were a healthy thing to do. I stopped eating wheat over 20 years ago and will never eat it again. If you were to eat commercial meat, it would be as if you were eating the wheat, corn and soy they typically feed factory farmed animals.
I recommend you read Wheat Belly, By Dr William Davis, M.D. You’ll never eat wheat again. Also, Grain Brain by Dr Perlmutter,M. D. and Dangerous Grains by Dr Braly, M.D.
The gluten in wheat is a lectin, which is a sticky protein that gums up the body. Plants use lectins to protect themselves from predators.
Foreign proteins are also attacked by the immune system because that is what it is supposed to do. Bacteria are proteins. When Monsanto comes out with a new strain of American Wheat every month or so, it contains a new gluten protein that has never existed before in the history of the universe, so the immune system is especially diligent in its attack. These gluten proteins often have similar shapes to those of proteins in the body, so when the immune system attacks the gluten protein it is not always able to keep them separate. It is as if it wants to make sure it gets the target protein even if there is some collateral damage to self proteins that are nearby. This is what happens in auto-immune disease and why eating gluten is not a good idea. FYI, colon cancer is also thought to be a risk from eating wheat, especially if GMO. It is laced with Roundup.

@Heathydoc70

Thank you so much. I use organic whole wheat flour.

Wheat Belly was an eye opener.

@Healthydoc70

With a pushy vegan hiking partner, I feel tired of people lecturing me about their diet. STOP IT.

In my 20s, I tried a vegetarian diet and lost too much weight. At 5'5" tall, I weigh 114 lbs. Yesterday's blood pressure: 106/64. I'm fine.

To each his own. Everybody is different.

My siblings are all overweight.

I suppose going on a long hop is out!
What about cycling cross country?

@Petter

"No weight-bearing," the podiatrist said. I need to let it heal.

Will try the stationary bicycle at the gym, using a bungee cord to hold the boot to the pedal.

Will see how it goes.

Take your calcium and research Arnica Montana and Comfrey. They are all bone healers. Hang in there. 😀

I gave my daughter a boron supplement for a broken arm. The pediatrician was amazed at how fast it healed.

@kiramea Yep, that is another one that will help. A good calcium supp. should include this in the formula

Yes! I agree don’t rush it! I know from experience that it can cost more on down the road, if we have not healed properly! Best of luck, on the quick healing process!

You know I wish you a speedy recovery, Kathleen. Hate to see such an ardent hiker on the sideline.

I dropped an 8 foot long bar clamp on that toe. Hurt for a long time, finally the pain stopped and now it just looks funny. Hope you heal well in a short time and get back to taking pictures.

I’m sure it’s like Montana where you are - it’s only two dry weeks from fire season

@Haemish1

Luckily, the foothills are green because we had several hard rainstorms during the past two weeks.

Temperatures cooled down with highs in the low 70s all week.

I've bent my little toe 90 degrees.

Snap it back and tape it to a neighbor.

Take good care of yourself.
I'm stuck home recovering too. Two weeks ago, I got hit by a car while I was riding my bicycle to work. Good thing I had my helmet on. Surprisingly, no broken bones. Just a sprain in the back of my neck. It gives me some stiffness in my back and on my right shoulder. I'm unable to sleep in my bed so far so I must settle for a recliner. I'll need a few more weeks to recover. Rest, heat, medicine and physiotherapy.

Sorry to hear that...hope everything heals up properly.

Oh my gosh! So sorry to hear this. I feel your pain (well sort of) - what seems a million years ago I was finishing up my last day of skiing for the year, caught an edge and was sent flying through the air. Broke the joint in my right thumb (yes, I am right handed) when my pole hit the ground while I was in the air. No big deal right? During those wonderful years I spent winters skiing in CO. & summers at the beach playing volleyball & scuba diving. Managed to drive home and play a few games of ball before my thumb was black & numb. Cast to my elbow 1/2 the summer and wasn't allowed to play ball at all that summer. I thought I was going to go crazy watching everyone else play and watching the boats go out in the morning....

@Heidi68

Boy, can I relate!

How do I break this to you gently? Your four other toes are gone!

@Stilltrying1964

I'm not an artist.

Drew a quick sketch from memory.

I kept it simple to focus on the corner bone fracture.

@LiterateHiker here's a reply that would have been more in keeping with the levity I was putting out there! Something like, "yeah, I know, I've reported them stolen to the police!" Or "the doctor really screwed up!"

Happy healing!

It does not sound to me like you are taking good enough care of youself.... and its pissing me big time....I expect better of you, and soon...

@HankSherman

That was a mean thing to say. You are being critical, patronizing and paternalistic. WTF?

I have always taken good care of myself.

@LiterateHiker I agree WTF obviously he never had any situation like this. I dislocated the 3rd toe, it felt like I had a nail sticking through my foot. Dr had to take it break toe to slide it back into ligament casing and then put a pin in. Your is more serious I hated the boot. Don't let this jerk bother you. Your doing the best you can and that is all you can do. Email if you get down.Also try lots of old comedies to get to keep spirits up.I don't in like this he should be reported. Not in spit of fellowship of this wonderful group of people. We are all pulling for you on here. Best of luck J

@LiterateHiker I want to make this sincere... in no way did I intend to be critical, patronizing , or paternalistic. What I did do was an, evidently, very bad job, of an attempt, at witticism.....for that I apologize and give my promise to try not to repeat that error. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

@HankSherman

Thank you, I appreciate your apology.

I nearly blocked you. What you wrote was hurtful and not funny at all.

Tact is kind. Sarcasm is often cruel.

Gosh, first I thought it was an x-ray. Am glad it is not. Please feel better soon.

Thanks for the update,,with you being such an active ladyy,,must make you a bit ansey at times not being able to do what you love to do,,But just bear with it and let it take its time,,you certainly do not wanted to extend this further into future,,Wishing you a speeder recovery than predicted

☹️. Try to stay off of it (easier said than done ) !

Ohub Level 7 May 22, 2019

Spiral fracture?

bobwjr Level 10 May 22, 2019

@bobwjr

Good question. It appears to be a straight fracture, but not all the way through the bone.

The corner of the bone is not floating. Thank goodness.

@LiterateHiker could tell better from X-Ray seen before

@bobwjr

Today's x-rays are not available for me yet.

Drink lots of bone broth and eat plenty of steak.

@Mitch07102

I don't eat red meat. Am drinking whey protein powder in milk or water every day.

I made chicken-vegetable soup with homemade chicken stock.

The soup is going fast.

@LiterateHiker Eat fatty meat to recover. We evolved as apex predators.....

@Mitch07102

Eat fatty meat? No doctor advises that.

I was raised on a low fat, healthy diet. Thanks, Mom!

@LiterateHiker Actually, many do. If low-fat works for you, great. But for fat old America, the rise of the low-fat mantra signaled the start of Americans becoming fat, the acceleration of diabetes and a range of other health issues. If curious, Google something like high-fat, low-carb diet and do some reading.

I'm surprised that literate hiker thinks eating red meat is unhealthy and that a low fat diet is healthy, and that no doctor would advise eating fatty meat. The evidence to the contrary is crushing and many doctors in the know including me advise eating grass fed fatty red meat. I 've studied sports nutrition for almost 60 years. Humans ate red meat as part of their diet. There are nutrients in grass fed red meat not found in plants or chicken that are extremely healthy because humans were programmed to need it by occupying their food chain niche like all cats need to eat meat and bones in order to thrive. You don't see hungry lions running for the soy patch to get their protein.

@Healthydoc70

I'm not a lion. Red meat inflames arthritis in my hands.

Since age 21, I have been regularly weightlifting, hiking, backpacking, running, swimming, downhill skiing, cross country skiing and stretching. Endorphins are addictive.

In 2017, I set a personal record by hiking 326 miles with 63,200 feet of elevation gain. Spectacular mountain vistas, high alpine lakes, white glaciers and jagged mountain peaks. Love it.

My mother was called an exercise fanatic and a health nut. Mom raised us on low fat, healthy food. I just took it to a new level. Thanks, Mom!

At age 22, my youngest sister got skin cancer. I was 27. That was a wakeup call, and the last year I had a tan. Since then, I wear sunscreen every day, year-round, and a wide-brimmed hat while hiking and gardening.

So, I have never smoked, avoid alcohol and never drink soda pop. Also don't eat deep fried food, fake sugar, fast food, hamburgers, donuts or pizza: all the high fat, processed, sugary junk foods that Americans love.

Instead, I eat lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. Bake whole wheat bread. Drink lots of water. I cook at home from scratch.

My dad died of colon cancer at age 51. I was 24. Immediately I eliminated from my diet preserved meats with cancer-causing nitrites and nitrates. Bacon, ham, pepperoni, salami, etc. Don't miss it.

Bottom line

A healthy lifestyle gets results. Exercise and enjoy eating healthy, whole foods. Protect your skin from the sun. Drink lots of water. Be optimistic and upbeat. Have fun! It shows.

Photos:

Stretching before shouldering my 40-lb pack. Backpacking in the Olympics at 24.

High on a ridge in the Olympic Mountains, Age 26.

Weightlifting results. Age 63.

Beautiful Spider Meadows. Age 62.

Happy In my perfect element, age 64.

@LiterateHiker What you are doing obviously works for you, so keep at it. Your avoidance of processed foods, sugar-added junk and the like are spot-on and things I do myself.

Unlike you, I eat plenty of fat and red meat, vegetables only rarely and almost never any fruit. I am not much of a runner (especially since I tore my quadriceps tendon) but put me on an erg and I can do a half marathon no problem, and a marathon unless my legs cramped. I go to a gym 3X per week and do a CrossFit like routine, every workout is different. I am 64 and take no medicine for anything and have not had even so much as a cold in 20+ years. In February of 2017 my biomarkers were good and I weigh near what I did in high school. On strength measures, I am an adjusted 30-35. Fatty meat, eggs, grass-fed butter, some cheese, bone broth, salt. When I have it, a bit of apple cider vinegar every morning.

For good measure, I have smoked cigars for 30+ years. I don't drink to excess, but I do drink 1-2 times a week.

Maybe we are different species? hahahahaha

@Mitch07102

Different body types and lifestyles. At 5' 5" tall, I weigh 114 lbs.

A classic ectomorph, I have a small frame, small bones, fast metabolism, high energy, and trouble gaining weight and muscle.

[muscleandstrength.com]

Alcoholism and cancer run in my family. This makes me careful.

Extra hope that it gets better soon.

Did you ask if they make that boot in a hiking version?

@cinnoore34

Can't do much weight-bearing, except grocery shopping and short errands. Around the house is okay.

It hurts to drive, step laterally, and walk for over 15 minutes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:350868
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.