Agnostic.com

27 7

Who's got a religious name?

I hadn't really thought about this until another post brought it to light.
My first name is Ian, Scottish for John who wrote a gospel and is also a saint
My second name is Patrick, patron saint of Ireland.
My third name is Declan, another Irish saint
And my surname starts with GOD

Any advances? 🙂

ipdg77 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha, ha!
But I suppose most western names come from some religion or the other. Even the seemingly innocuous name "Kevin" comes from a 6th century Irish hermit named St. Kevin, who founded a monastary. Perhaps parents believe the name will give their children the same powers as the person with the original name.

I was still a believer when I made up the name for my daughter, Jerielle. The first half of her name is from Hebrew, and the second is from French. The first part of her name, in English, means "strong; open-minded, and is a blend of Jerold and Darell. But the Hebrew meaning is "vision of god." The "elle" only makes the name feminine.

My partner is called Cathal pronounced Ca-hll. Irish, we knew each other for years before I found out he had three other names apart from his surname.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35126
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.