Agnostic.com

22 2

Why is depression so complicated?

If you have it, how do you cope? How do you get activities you used to enjoy be enjoyable again? Why do so many feel it’s some switch?

Vipyr82 7 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't stop looking for what works for you. One universal treatment is getting outside every single day. See if full spectrum lights might help. The bulbs and lamp for them can be picked up economically at walmart. More expensive lights are sold in packages of bulbs with lamp. It gives the full spectrum of UV from the sun that all humans require. If you check the package of "grow lights," you will find some that are full spectrum, too. Studies prove that smiling brings our mood up, even if we don't feel happy to begin with. Again, don't stop looking until you find what works for you. You are worth it.

or maybe a bj lol

@LeighShelton What's your mind doing in my gutter?

its better than your mind in my gutter, trust me lol. it's a free gutter anyway.

You need a routine. You're in Florida, its March, its beautiful out. Go for long walks on the beach at sunset, every night for 10 days Reconnect with nature. Start a new activity. Take pictures, volunteer at Mote Marine or for the Pelican Man, count turtle nests, join a league, a new hobbie, take a class, challenge yourself. There is tons of great live music in your area. Go check some of it out, at LEAST once a week. Music is great for curbing depression. If all else fails, get a puppy!

Miaow! 😉

I don't know that getting a puppy is a good idea since it would dependent on the depressed human. Depression blocks people from thinking of others.

Well, part of depression is just the human condition. We are living longer and things change in our brain and our bodies. One thing, that does help depression, is excerise and sunlight. Maintaining a schedule and good diet, is important. And, in certain situations of chronic depression, medication may be necessary. But, the one thing that I found to help most with my years of depression, is excerise. I went to fitness ctr, 3 times a week and worked on muscle building and within, a few months of starting my excerise program, I observed a shift in my brain function. I am walking at least 40mins and doing stair excerise now and I still have have no depression.

Because one size does not fit all, that's one complication.
Medication, when it does work, sometimes only works for a short period of time.
Therapy can be helpful, but sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right therapist.
There are as many methods as there are people who have depression.

Years ago I sufferred from anxiety attacks and depression. Now I only suffer anxiety attacks. For now that is.
In the middle of everything, when my life seemed to be at its worst, I had lost everything to my ex wife, my girlfriend cheated on me and left me, the company I worked for was going down the toilet. Just when things shouldn't have gotten worse, my daughter sufferred major kidney failure at 15 and we almost lost her, so on top of everything I was also sleeping in the hospital at night while working across 2 states and caring for my son. It was touch and go for over a week, nothing was working to help my daughter.
Finally she began to improve, and once she was healthy again, well, I have never suffered depression since.
Imagine living in a war torn country then compare that to what we have.
Sunshine really helps, our emotions are chemical reactions, and sunshine produces some good ones.

Depression or simply reaction to facing up to and enduring reality aka getting on with the necessary. That's a good history and perhaps measure of your id @Rugglesby?

This is not going to be a popular answer but DRUGS! Mild depression, perhaps can be helped with therapy, exercise, oils, etc. But major depression? Clinical depression? Drugs. There’s no getting out of it any other way except suicide.

I generally agree with your point about medication. HOwever if a person can endure it depression may abate on its own.And there are other options. I disagree with your comment about suicide

@Marcie1974 I was with you right up until the last sentence. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. @Vipyr82 You are worth the hard work it takes to overcome depression. Never stop looking.

@Marcie...suicide does happen with depression and at one point, I was afraid I might be one. But, if a person keeps working through those tormented thoughts, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I apologize if I sounded suicidal. Thank dog after a brief voluntary stay a the psych ward, I started seeing a psychiatrist who finally cared and got me on the right meds. I’ve been doing great for almost 10 years. The point I poorly made was if you are that far down the hole of depression, and do not get put on meds, eventually death may end up being a very real escape. I spent way too long trying to talk myself out of it every damn morning. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. Without medication I would not be here.

Again I apologize if I sounded suicidal and I REALLY hope I didn’t trigger anyone. I just get really flipping tired of people who have not felt that level of dispair try to say drugs aren’t necessary. No one one here, thinking more of coworkers, etc. @Freedompath

@EllenDale please see my above response. My apologies

@Marcie1974 yes, we wouldn't want anyone to give up, when they haven't 'overturned every stone,' like some of us have had to do!!!

I’m on venoflaxxin and brupropion. It does stuff for my “brain chemcals”. Not really anything about these “feelings”.

If the feelings are still there then perhaps therapy would also be beneficial? I’m finally starting therapy myself in a few weeks. @Vipyr82

Your brain is very complicated

You learn to mimic the people around you. And avoid people so you don't have to. As for activities, I plan for them while depressed, gather materials and what not, and do them while manic.

Study neuroscience! I have struggled with depression/anxiety for most of my life and today I am feeling better than ever! Get a real understanding of what is happening inside of your brain and find out what you need to change/add to how you live life everyday. Diet and exercise are extremely important but that alone will not sure your depression. Learn about each main neurotransmitters and what they are responsible for with how you are feeling. There are many natural and safe remedies for combating depression. My recommendation is to look up the NootropicsExpert on YouTube and Google and go from there. Good luck my friend!

Cuz we’re complicated… So much competition, and seemingly so little compassion.. Humanity appears bent on tripping up one another while racing toward and focusing on ..resources. If someone falls behind - great - we’ve less competition!

And, we’re often on our own, unless we’ve access to mental health professionals, and are willing to use them… Friends & family try.. but what more can they do than what they’ve done? And as we feel increasingly overwhelmed ..we’re sucked down a vortex of confusion and pain.

For me, it had been situational, and not clinical.. Had it been the latter, I’d have pursued serious help, if only for my kids’ sake.. But just as shit happens … situations change, and if you’re depressed, that change is usually for the better.

Varn Level 8 Mar 11, 2018

It took me a long time to figure out that the problem I was having in relationships could be solved by giving MY self-esteem a jolt. Therapy could help you map out more satisfying relationships, or journaling or any of the other great, practical suggestions from other members on this page. They all work. You just have to find the therapies/combinations that work for you. I hope you'll personalize your self-care, Vyper: make every day about caring for yourself, treat yourself (and others) in the way you want others to treat you.
Don't give all this up to what others do to you, Vipyr. Starting today, don't give them the power to make you feel used. Take control of the things you can control: how you react and what you'll accept. It's hard to learn and I'm not perfect at it but it's the way out of this.
Hope you'll keep posting here, Vipyr, how you're doing, changes you're making and what's working for you. Let agnostic.com be part of your new support network. Hugs.

Thanks @crazycurlz

I do something crazy with my hair when I get depressed.

me too.

I have so many spices.

I bet many of them are expired.

I should check.

Fu-k it.

People say CBD oil raises the mood, and is legal most places.
Also, taking a long walk outside at dawn resets your thyroid for more energy and better mood.

Eating fish daily, putting a few drops of food grade iodine in water, taking inexpensive herbs/vitamins from WalMart, such as St. John's Wort, 5-htp, magnesium, B vitamins. Interacting with a loving pet, joining groups for your interests, such as hiking, or reading groups.

Vitamin D in whatever form!

Cause individual feeling and situations are different for everyone- just keep trying no matter what- even if you fail try again that's always going to be an option- there is no wrong or right answer it's just you and what you need at the time

If someone else is depressed, it's pretty simple: Just say "Snap out of it!" Problem solved. I've found that if I'm full blown depressed, and don't feel like doing the things I usd to enjoy, I feel worse. So I keep going with everything, even if it seems tedious. But, at the same time, it also helps to get my mind off of things, and on the tasks at hand.

@SeaGreen Yes, of course. But non depressed people really think it's just that easy.

I went to reply to your post about taking guitar lessons and the whole discussion disappeared. Can someone figure out what I did or how I may be able to retrieve it?

I lost the post and cannot find it where you stated that you were trying to learn the guitar. Get rid of the concept of "trying" and replace it with "I'm going to learn how to play the guitar." You will never fail as long as you don't quit. Keep saying to yourself that You Are Going To Play the Guitar. I will tell you more later on my episode with Music. Don't go for expensive lessons. Lots of alternatives out there.

I meant to say I have been learning it. Just know a few songs. Trying to learn more.

Keep plucking away and learn when to put it down and when to pick it up and how long on the road you want to advance. But always forward and every little mistake is another lesson learned.

I workout at the gym.

Many will ask what you have to be depressed about. Maybe it's all the things you wanted to work and they did not work. This can even include a marriage, but I'm aware that alll things change even if we do not want them to change. I find it hard to deal with change in general but I'm also aware that this is what life is all about.

I used to suffer from both gepression and social anxiety disorder and it came from a chemical imbalance in my brain. October of 2018 I had a stroke that seemto fix it (I don't recommened that as a treatment). I coped with medication and basicly staying in the background and keeping my relationships to a minimum. But it has cost me. Also in some cases it is like a switch the only problem is that once that switch is triggered, the only word I can think of, we're not prepared for what to do with our lives.

Iv had it for years,sometimes it lifts then I enjoy thing ,like antiques ,movies . I suggest have an interest in something
that give s you pleasure,vipur

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.