Agnostic.com

10 5

Gaming Addiction is now a disorder, according to World Health Organization

I'm not surprised.

[bbc.com]

Symptoms include:

1. impaired control over gaming (frequency, intensity, duration)

2. increased priority given to gaming

3. continuation or escalation of gaming despite negative consequences

LiterateHiker 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Control your thoughts and feelings and don't allow your thoughts and feelings to control you (actions and behavior).
Achieve control by focusing your attention for 1-2 minutes on thoughts and feelings to bring them into your conscious awareness.
Negative thoughts and feelings will dissipate, while positive thoughts and feelings will be amplified.
If at first you have minimal results, do it again. Practice. Similar to paradoxical intention used by Viktor Frankl, Austrian doctor.

weldy Level 4 May 30, 2019

I am always irked by our society's readiness to classify behavioral patterns as "mental disorders."

Although they call it an addiction, other studies say there are also some benefits that come from gaming

@snytiger6

What benefits?

1. Sitting all day causes obesity, lack of muscle tone and heart disease.

2. Lack of social skills.

3. Isolation = loneliness.

@LiterateHiker The benefits are more in the lines of brain functi9on and some coordination and dexterity functions. [mentalfloss.com]

The strange thing about that is I was addicted to pinball in my twenties. I managed to break out of it but it was debilitating. Why now I ask? I am sure there were others like me at that time but we weren't gambling so I am guessing the addiction went under the wire. The symptoms were identical to those cited above.

Gambling has always been an addiction for some. English aristocracy have throughout history redistributed their wealth by gambling away their entire fortune....and less wealthy gamblers have always been as badly affected. In the end it is a freedom of choice decidsion .. what can you do to prevent people self harming?

I admit it : I was addicted to "GAME of THRONES" 😄

I would take it beyond gaming. Cellphones are now a near universal "accessory".

Some call it cyberdependancy.

@seattlepanda, @QuidamOutrepont

Internet addiction is a real disorder. Internet addiction treatment centers have opened around the world.

@LiterateHiker ...and so widespread few even consider it a disorder...

No different than alcoholism

bobwjr Level 10 May 29, 2019

Treatment is difficult because they often return to a circle of fellow addicts and get right back into it...it is not as easy as turning off the device...

Yes that is so easy to do

Any behavior that activated the brain’s reward center can be as addictive as drugs

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:354030
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.