Agnostic.com

21 2

Are you married to a believer?

Does anyone besides me think that we should have a group centering on members who's S.O.s are believers?

dartagnan6666 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was, not married to one anymore.
Most believers are fucking hypocrites.

strangely enough, my wife knows i'm an atheist but we've never seriously discussed religion (together now for 40+ yrs).
i've always felt it's a topic best avoided.

Thought I was the only one. Both my wives were practicing Catholics. They knew I was atheist, but never made a big deal about it. We each allowed the other to believe what we wanted. Never had an argument about it with either one.

@Boxdoc ,
we have even more in common. the same applied to my 1st wife.

i'm not married but i am living with my guy, have been for a while now, and he is a person who thinks there is a god. but there are people who are believers and it doesn't much influence their daily lives and other people who are believers and they can't take a poop without asking jesus first. jesus never did figure into either of our lives; we're both jewish, but i'm a jewish atheist and he's a jew who doesn't even know much about judaism but has a vague belief in some sort of creator (of evolution, i hasten to add; he's not a science denier per se; climate change is one of his hugest concerns and he hates trump). he doesn't like it when i wear my ag dot com tee shirt but he doesn't push the issue. on those rare occasions when the subject even comes up, i tell him i have two words for him: "talking snake." he doesn't know what i'm talking about because he has never read any part of anyone's bible. i am not trying to get him to stop believing in his god but i did spend some time trying to figure out what kind of god he believed in, and he was not at first forthcoming. finally, recently, he confessed that he believes in a god who created evolution. that's all he would say. i've heard worse! we're fine. it's not a big deal.

g

I was until I stopped believing . . .

Why not?

@dartagnan6666 neither of us is a believer lol. We found the journey together.

My husband (deceased 2017) was a Baptist. I was always, from childhood, an agnostic/atheist. I identified as agnostic until my mid 20s then came out as an atheist as I was tired of sitting on the fence, so to speak. We had a wonderful marriage for nearly 43 years when he died. I remember once, in my presence, a woman actually asked him, "Doesn't it bother you that you will not be joined in heaven with your wife?" I will never forget his response. "It is written that all that was lost will be restored. It would not be heaven without her. She is the best person I have ever met. She will be there."

Used to be, divorced now about 8 months though was trying to get out of the marriage LONG before that. He wasn't honest with me about his religious beliefs. There were red flags, yes, but he wasn't going to his church while he was dating and then we got married after he had been back to the US not even a month after being gone almost two years. There's a long story behind that. Shortly after we married, he went back to church. I got pregnant, even more changes, and it just got worse and worse. His religion became more important than making sure his family had food/housing/etc. He would take out up to 20% for tithes and we were usually getting some form of government assistance so we did not have the money for him to tithe from. I finally decided enough was enough, went back to school, got my driver's license, graduated, and got a job. Well things fell apart even more because I was working full-time and making more money than he was. It just all fell apart even more and during that time and even before I got the job, he was having a lot of issues with my older daughter because she wasn't believing in his religious beliefs anymore. Probably didn't help that I stopped homeschooling and had put both of our kids in school because I was going to school and he would do nothing while I was gone. His religious beliefs made it next to impossible for us to work together because as far as he was concerned, we could never be equal because that's not how it's supposed to go. Men are the head of the household and women are not. SO many issues due to his religion so nope, didn't work out at all and I really don't see myself getting involved with anyone with religious beliefs again.

I was married to a woman who returned to the Catholic fold when she was dying of cancer. I totally understood her reasons for her doing so, but it made our last half year together difficult and uncomfortable when she would ask me if we would ever see each other again after her death. And then when she died, there was all the second guessing from her believing friends who thought I failed her spiritually and ushered in years of needless guilt.

The group idea would have been helpful back then, but my current S.O. is a fellow atheist met on this site, so I have less of a need for the group now.

I want my wife to be a believer in the day and a non-believer by night.

I was in a relationship with one, she knew my beliefs right from the beginning. She stuck it out until she realized it was fruitless to convert me. It started put slow, proceeded to her outting me to everyone, tried to embarrass and humiliate me in front of others.

That was one year I'll never get back!!!

He believes in me!

zesty Level 7 June 4, 2019

I was with the mother my shildren for 25 years before she told me that she believed in GOD. I could only utter: «holy shit»

Why not

bobwjr Level 10 June 6, 2019

I used to be. Married for 12 years and together for 10. She would agree with me but yet could not get god out of her system.

Not married but currently dating... He's not an active church goer... We don't talk about religion...

I am separated from a member of the world of faith organization.
Promises of never pressuring me to be religious failed abysmally, many disagreements with pastors, evangelist, church members and her. I left and now she refuses a divorce!
Funny how she divorced her previous, a paedophile!!

I'm not married now, but even when I was, it was to a fellow non believer. We did have that in common.

My wife goes to church, but she tells me she doesn't believe in a god. She is Korean and so she goes to immerse herself in the culture, language and community for a few hours. She also likes to sing.

I am married to a believer, but I neither want nor need such a group.

I was and girlfreind does can't figure out why.

That's a complicated issue for sure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:356676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.